Rugby: Elegant, senseless violence

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited September 25, 2007 in Sports
I think the above description is actually geared towards women's rugby, but I always liked the sound of it. :wink

This weekend a friend invited me to come watch a local rugby match, a team that he used to be a part of. I think they are the Baltimore-Chesapeake Brumbies, but either way I know nothing about the game except there's a lot of yelling and scuffling and crunching.

199258591-M-3.jpg

199259124-M-3.jpg

199259750-M-3.jpg

199259976-M-3.jpg

199260350-M-3.jpg

199260570-M-3.jpg

199260939-M-3.jpg

199261252-M-3.jpg

I've never done sports photography before but I figured the high-action practice couldn't hurt. I am in love with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, as it did the job perfectly. :lust

ETA: (Wah, I typo'd the subject if it's possible at all to change it... :rolleyes )

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    Jeez, for someone who's never shot sports before, you did a fine job!

Did this guy need the trainer after this play? lol3.gif

199260570-S-3.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Nice work for a sports n00b!

I love the intensity on their faces in that first shot.

Oh, and I fixed your typo. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    SOme really nice shots there schmooo! I think you did a great job capturing the game in action.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    Did this guy need the trainer after this play? lol3.gif
    Yanno I don't even have those body parts and I think the game looks darned painful.

There isn't an appropriate emoticon on this forum for the situation, so this one will have to suffice: :wow

:D

Thanks for the kind words, guys!
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    I have a friend on the women's rugby team. She comes to class looking abused everyday. But that's cause they play hard. They played a Varsity team recently and that team wasn't use to playing hard, so they lost a LOT of players through the game until the ref finally had to call the game because the visiting team was getting destroyed.

I like the photos, they're better than mine :)
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Wow schmoo bowdown.gif

You seem to have great shots no matter what the subject is. First your buildings, then portraits, now sports thumb.gif
    ccpickre wrote:
    I have a friend on the women's rugby team. She comes to class looking abused everyday. But that's cause they play hard. They played a Varsity team recently and that team wasn't use to playing hard, so they lost a LOT of players through the game until the ref finally had to call the game because the visiting team was getting destroyed.

I like the photos, they're better than mine :)
    Hmm, I admit I am not very sporty myself but to tone down a sport like rugby kind of seems like they're missing the point....?

I've seen (LOTS) your stuff! I think you still take the cake with photojournalism. thumb.gif

Thanks Ivar, you are too nice! But I didn't catch any actual drops of blood, spit, or sweat flying through the air so I think I've got a good ways to go. :giggle
    edited September 25, 2007
    Well, it wasn't toned down. The visiting team just used a lot of girls from the track team, or that had been track runners. So they utilized the speed and had their fastest girl run up the wings all the time. But when it came to the physical game, they sucked :D
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    Very nice! thumb.gif

Where they playing inside a racetrack? Where? Yes, I have a one-track mind (no pun intended . . . ).
    Tim
    PS, yes you can edit the subject title thing. Just go back to that post, click edit, and in the subject line just change it (You may have to click advanced or something like that. And where it asks for the reason, just say spelling or something to that effect).