Advice on a wide angle lens

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited September 25, 2007 in Cameras
I have a Canon400D and I have the usual kit lens Canon 18-55mm. I have since purchased a few lenses as you can see what I have from my profile. However, I just feel that the 18-55mm wide lens is not very good for landscape shots. I find that the detail is far too small and I have been relying on my other lenses for landscape shots.
Do I continue using the other telephoto lenses or can you please advise on a good wide angle lens.
Thanks once again for all your kind help.
Bob

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    I have a Canon400D and I have the usual kit lens Canon 18-55mm. I have since purchased a few lenses as you can see what I have from my profile. However, I just feel that the 18-55mm wide lens is not very good for landscape shots. I find that the detail is far too small and I have been relying on my other lenses for landscape shots.
    Do I continue using the other telephoto lenses or can you please advise on a good wide angle lens.
    Bob
    Bob, I'm confused by "the detail is far too small" ne_nau.gifshow us an example of what you mean.
    If you are looking for a wide angle I'd recommend Canon's EFS 10-22mm
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    gubbs wrote:
    Bob, I'm confused by "the detail is far too small" ne_nau.gifshow us an example of what you mean.
    If you are looking for a wide angle I'd recommend Canon's EFS 10-22mm
    The way I'm traslating this post gubbs.. If you switch to a 10-22 the detail will be even smaller. ne_nau.gif
    While there are better lens' out there than the 18-55. None of them are going to help any photog take better pictures. They will just let more area in their shot.

-Jon
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    canon400d wrote:
    Bob

What 'other' lens are you relying on if the detail is 'too small'? Perhaps you are not really looking for 'wide angle'? headscratch.gif
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    saurora wrote:
    What 'other' lens are you relying on if the detail is 'too small'? Perhaps you are not really looking for 'wide angle'? headscratch.gif

Thanks for your reply. As I have said, I feel the 18-55 lens is ok for shots around my garden which is 100 yards x 40 yards. If I take a wide angle shot beyond that distance everything seems so far away and so small, which is not really the case. When I use my canon 70-200F4L it puts everything in better prospective. I thought there would be a smaller lens than the 70-200 that would meet my requirements better if you understand what I mean.
    Thanks again for your kind help.
    Bob
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. As I have said, I feel the 18-55 lens is ok for shots around my garden which is 100 yards x 40 yards. If I take a wide angle shot beyond that distance everything seems so far away and so small, which is not really the case. When I use my canon 70-200F4L it puts everything in better prospective. I thought there would be a smaller lens than the 70-200 that would meet my requirements better if you understand what I mean.
    Thanks again for your kind help.
    Bob

Bob,
    It sounds as though you don't want a wide lens at all ne_nau.gif if that is the case you could swap your 18-55 for a 24-70 or 24-105.
    But TBH I'd keep the 18-55 and the 70-200 and zoom the missing 15 mm of range with your feet :D.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Interesting, I think he means he wants to shoot small things to make them look bigger. Is that correct?

If so, for the money a Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro would be a good choice, or the Sigma 150mm. If you plan to shoot bugs, possibly the MP-E 65mm Canon would be good, but w/ the Canon 100mm 2.8 can be used for that as it is or w/ extension tubes.

Go on google, type in '(lens name) (focal lenght of lens) samples' and it will bring you samples of the lens on a pbase site:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_100_28_macro_u

those images are w/ the ef 100mm canon. see if you like those images and if its the perspective you're trying to get. its slightly smaller than the 70-200 too.