What is a 1.6 crop camera

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited September 24, 2007 in Cameras
I am sure as you all know I am a complete amateur but enjoying every minute of it. Can someone please explain to me what is a 1.6 crop camera? I have a Canon400D. Is this a crop camera.
I apologise for the ignorance and I thank everyone for all your kind help you have given me in the past.
Kind Regards
Bob

Comments

• windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    I am sure as you all know I am a complete amateur but enjoying every minute of it. Can someone please explain to me what is a 1.6 crop camera? I have a Canon400D. Is this a crop camera.
    I apologise for the ignorance and I thank everyone for all your kind help you have given me in the past.
    Kind Regards
    Bob

Practically speaking a 24 mm on a 1.6 crop camera = 38ish versus
    17 mm on a 1.6 crop camera = 27 mm....
    well if your are shooting indoors you might want the extra "width" provided by the 17-55 vs the 24-70 lens... but maybe not!
    For portraits a crop factor is not going to affect you very much.
    But I believe for photos indoors - then crop factor will have an impact.

Bob you have the kit lens 18-55
    go see what i mean look at an interior at 18 mm and then look at the interior at 24 if you think the 24 is wide enough then YES go for the 24-70. I know in my case when i was shooting indoors the 24 was not wide enough. Heck the 17 was barely wide enough. I assumed you were taking pics indoors and needed a wide angle that was fast - thats why i suggested the 17-55 but if the 24 is wide enough go for it!

troy

troy
  • TelecorderTelecorder Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Kind Regards
    Bob

To answer your question, see...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

Any camera that is not a 35mm or a full frame digital, will have a 'crop factor' that will be at play... For a comparison, see the image on the above page at the upper right -- the colored retangles illustrate the FOV crop factors. The FOV on a non-35mm/FF camera will have a FOV that, on a 35mm/FF camera, is equal to a focal length x the crop factor... for a 28mm FOV on a 1.6X crop factor camera one would need a 28/1.6 or a 17.5mm lens.

Conversely, a 28mm lens on a 1.6X digital would result in a -- 28mm x 1.6X = 44.8mm equivalent FOV on a FF/35mm film plane.

Also see...
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dslr-mag.shtml
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
    D50-BIGMA-70-300VRII-35f2D-18-70DX-FZ30
    My SmugMug Image Galleries
    My Nikonian Image Galleries
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    windoze wrote:
    Practically speaking a 24 mm on a 1.6 crop camera = 38ish versus
    17 mm on a 1.6 crop camera = 27 mm....
    well if your are shooting indoors you might want the extra "width" provided by the 17-55 vs the 24-70 lens... but maybe not!
    For portraits a crop factor is not going to affect you very much.
    But I believe for photos indoors - then crop factor will have an impact.

Bob you have the kit lens 18-55
    go see what i mean look at an interior at 18 mm and then look at the interior at 24 if you think the 24 is wide enough then YES go for the 24-70. I know in my case when i was shooting indoors the 24 was not wide enough. Heck the 17 was barely wide enough. I assumed you were taking pics indoors and needed a wide angle that was fast - thats why i suggested the 17-55 but if the 24 is wide enough go for it!

troy

troy

Thanks Troy
    Yes that is exactly what I am wanting to do, take pics indoors with a wide angle that was fast. When you say look at an interior at 18mm and then 24mm. Does this mean Troy I have to be a certain distance from my subject in both cases of 18 and 24. I will get to understand this believe me I will.
    Thanks again Troy
    Bob
    Telecorder wrote:
    To answer your question, see...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

Any camera that is not a 35mm or a full frame digital, will have a 'crop factor' that will be at play... For a comparison, see the image on the above page at the upper right -- the colored retangles illustrate the FOV crop factors. The FOV on a non-35mm/FF camera will have a FOV that, on a 35mm/FF camera, is equal to a focal length x the crop factor... for a 28mm FOV on a 1.6X crop factor camera one would need a 28/1.6 or a 17.5mm lens.

Conversely, a 28mm lens on a 1.6X digital would result in a -- 28mm x 1.6X = 44.8mm equivalent FOV on a FF/35mm film plane.

Also see...
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dslr-mag.shtml

Thanks Dave,
    Mmmm I must say it all has confusing implications. Is there a set table format for the X's and =. It is a long while since I was at school doing decimals and fractions. 28mm x 1.6X = 44.8mm equivalent to a Field of View on a FF/35mm film plane. I must admit Dave I am lost. I honestly thought I could crack this but I doubt I will have to admit defeat.
    Anyhow, thanks once again for all your kind help I really do appreciate what you have done for me.
    Cheers
    Bob
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Dave,
    Mmmm I must say it all has confusing implications. Is there a set table format for the X's and =. It is a long while since I was at school doing decimals and fractions. 28mm x 1.6X = 44.8mm equivalent to a Field of View on a FF/35mm film plane. I must admit Dave I am lost. I honestly thought I could crack this but I doubt I will have to admit defeat.
    Anyhow, thanks once again for all your kind help I really do appreciate what you have done for me.
    Cheers
    Bob

Bob--
    Did you read the linked articles? headscratch.gif

In the image below, the circular portion is what image the lens projects onto the film plane/sensor; the inside blue retangle is what is imaged on the larger film or full frame-sized chip while the inside red retangle is what is imaged by the smaller digital chip. (Imagine the blue & red retangles are the sizes of the imaging plane-- film or digital chips)

The same lens in both cases is casting the same sized image -- Because of the different film/chip sizes, the perceived FOV is different. Its the apparent difference in subject size to the retangle field of view (film or chip size) that is caused by the 'crop factor'.

In your case, using a 28mm lens on a 35mm/FF digital will give you the image inside the blue retangle (smaller subject size relative to the larger borders); The same 28mm lens on your Canon will give you the image illustrated within the red retangle (note how much larger the subject size is relative to the borders).

Same lens; same subject; different sizes of sensing media yielding different subject sizes relative to the film/chip size. In a 1.6X crop factor circumstance, the subject 'appears' to be 1.6X larger...

from the luminous-landscape article...
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/images4/scaly4.jpg
    (Moderator's note: sorry Dave, we should not use other's images without permission. I changed this to a link instead. ziggy53)

In the end, if its still confusing, just remember that any lens on your Canon will 'act like' its focal length is 1.6X the lens' focal length and will give you a larger 'apparent' subject size. ie -- your 50mm lens will act like a 80mm lens on your Canon (50 x 1.6 = 80mm; a 18mmx 1.6 = ~28mm; 300mm x 1.6 = 480mm...)

Clear as mud, right?
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
    Telecorder wrote:
    Bob--
    Did you read the linked articles? headscratch.gif

In the image below, the circular portion is what image the lens projects onto the film plane/sensor; the inside blue retangle is what is imaged on the larger film or full frame-sized chip while the inside red retangle is what is imaged by the smaller digital chip. (Imagine the blue & red retangles are the sizes of the imaging plane-- film or digital chips)

The same lens in both cases is casting the same sized image -- Because of the different film/chip sizes, the perceived FOV is different. Its the apparent difference in subject size to the retangle field of view (film or chip size) that is caused by the 'crop factor'.

In your case, using a 28mm lens on a 35mm/FF digital will give you the image inside the blue retangle (smaller subject size relative to the larger borders); The same 28mm lens on your Canon will give you the image illustrated within the red retangle (note how much larger the subject size is relative to the borders).

Same lens; same subject; different sizes of sensing media yielding different subject sizes relative to the film/chip size. In a 1.6X crop factor circumstance, the subject 'appears' to be 1.6X larger...

(Moderator's note: sorry Dave, we should not use other's images without permission. I changed this to a link instead. ziggy53)

In the end, if its still confusing, just remember that any lens on your Canon will 'act like' its focal length is 1.6X the lens' focal length and will give you a larger 'apparent' subject size. ie -- your 50mm lens will act like a 80mm lens on your Canon (50 x 1.6 = 80mm; a 18mmx 1.6 = ~28mm; 300mm x 1.6 = 480mm...)

Clear as mud, right?

Ahhh yes Dave that is much better I think I can master this now. I can follow what you have said and it is slowly sinking in. It was all the figures etc etc etc that was confusing me. I just didn't know in which direction to go but I really appreciate how you have explained it. Thanks ever so much Dave.
    Cheers
    Bob
    Ziggy53 wrote:

Thanks, boss... I should have known that is a....:nono

Bob--
    Glad the additional info is a bit more helpful....thumb.gif
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA