2»

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Interesting..
    andy wrote:
    from yesterday's new york times
    40 years of taking the pictures and not showing anybody.. wow.. No wonder he was taking pictures of sad and lonely..

Thank you for the article!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    great article. thanks for sharing Andy
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Very nice story. And by the way, that settles it: artists are weird. To decide upon photography as a career, then go 30 years without showing your pics, is a tad eccentric.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    karuzokaruzo Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    andy wrote:

May 19, 2005
    An Invisible Street Photographer Gets His Close-Up
    By DAVID BERNSTEIN
    CHICAGO - For 40 years the photographer Gary Stochl has prowled downtown Chicago, sometimes nine hours at a time, photographing street life. It is no wonder, he says, that "all of my shoes are comfortable."

On a recent afternoon outing around the Loop here, Mr. Stochl wore brown soft-leather Timberlands. They might as well have been glass slippers, ..............................."
    This is one thing that I don't get about street photography. What about a model release form which I am not familier with the law related to that. However, I am sure someone might recognize them selves in a book like that, or any other similar book. Take for example the picture on the cover. Can the person on the cover page sue? I am sure they didn't look for the guy to ask a persmission prior to putting him on the cover page.
    Thanks,
    karuzo
    http://karuzo.smugmug.com
    'Good photographers never die, they just get replaced'
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Very nice story. And by the way, that settles it: artists are weird. To decide upon photography as a career, then go 30 years without showing your pics, is a tad eccentric.
    talk about calling the kettle blackrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    tsackmanntsackmann Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    confidence

street shooting requires confidence.. *you* are doing nothing wrong, so don't sneak around! put away that tele, and stick a fifty or thirty-five on your dslr, or set your digicam's zoom to the wider end of things, and see the scene "normally," up close and personaly. this may be strange for some of you, but i assure you it gets easier after your initial trepidation wears off. the worst that can happen is people say "no, i don't want my photo taken," and so you smile and move on!
    great advice. thanks andy. I never did see a response to the questions about model releases though... maybe i missed it. or maybe it's here in another thread. i'm sure it's a common question.

thanks!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    karuzo wrote:
    This is one thing that I don't get about street photography. What about a model release form which I am not familier with the law related to that. However, I am sure someone might recognize them selves in a book like that, or any other similar book. Take for example the picture on the cover. Can the person on the cover page sue? I am sure they didn't look for the guy to ask a persmission prior to putting him on the cover page.

if the image is used for promotional purposes, e.g. the cover, you'd need a model release. if it's used editorially in the body of the book, or for educational purposes, then no release is necessary.

laws vary from place to place, i'm not an attorney, and ymmv. so there lol3.gif

ps: loads of posts here on dgrin on the subject, try the search engine, for model releases

cheers
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    tsackmann wrote:
    great advice. thanks andy. I never did see a response to the questions about model releases though... maybe i missed it. or maybe it's here in another thread. i'm sure it's a common question.

thanks!

you're welcome! and thank you for the comments. one day turnaround, hey, that's pretty fast deal.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    talk about calling the kettle blackrolleyes1.gif
    FLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gif

:bluduh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    FLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gif

:bluduh
    I apologise Sid you did post one pic from Yosemiterolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    karuzokaruzo Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    if the image is used for promotional purposes, e.g. the cover, you'd need a model release. if it's used editorially in the body of the book, or for educational purposes, then no release is necessary.

laws vary from place to place, i'm not an attorney, and ymmv. so there lol3.gif

ps: loads of posts here on dgrin on the subject, try the search engine, for model releases

cheers
    Thanks Andy. I never really thought of searching on the subject.
    Thanks,
    karuzo
    http://karuzo.smugmug.com
    'Good photographers never die, they just get replaced'
  • Options
    aclickatatimeaclickatatime Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    What lens to use?
    First off, thanks for ALL the good tips and good articles in this thread. thumb.gif I'm very new in photography and by reading this thread has given me some new ideas. Perhaps I should give street photography a try soon.

Say, if you had to carry just ONE lens when you get out there to do some street photography, what lens would you be carrying? Could you give me some Canon examples?

I'm a beginner and I'm always in dilenmas when it comes to which lens to buy or to carry. What would be an overall good all-rounded lens for day to day photography in the city? Please advice.

Thanks a bunch!!

- yvonne
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    First off, thanks for ALL the good tips and good articles in this thread. thumb.gif I'm very new in photography and by reading this thread has given me some new ideas. Perhaps I should give street photography a try soon.

Say, if you had to carry just ONE lens when you get out there to do some street photography, what lens would you be carrying? Could you give me some Canon examples?

I'm a beginner and I'm always in dilenmas when it comes to which lens to buy or to carry. What would be an overall good all-rounded lens for day to day photography in the city? Please advice.

Thanks a bunch!!

- yvonne

thanks yvonne. what lens would i use? i'd use a 35mm or a 50mm. another alternative is the 16-35 or 17-40 zooms. i like to be close, be part of the scene, intimate with the subjects.
  • Options
    aclickatatimeaclickatatime Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thanks yvonne. what lens would i use? i'd use a 35mm or a 50mm. another alternative is the 16-35 or 17-40 zooms. i like to be close, be part of the scene, intimate with the subjects.
    Wouldnt that be a little too close and it'd be hard to be discreet or hard to let the subject be more natural?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Fine tips ! situation is diffrent here in Pakistan
    once i decided to take my cam to street with my friend everything was fine untile police grabed us :cry they said dont you know in this area yesterday 3 guys were shooting Girlz with Cell phone and they were beaten by brothers of girls eek7.gif then massive fight breaked out.
    thank God my friend at once said we are from Press (LIE) ne_nau.gif and police let us go .........otherwise for your info Pakistani police is famous for breaking DSLRs of press reporters i was happy they didn't do anything to my only W1
    44785405-L.jpg
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    This post by Andy is what brought me to DGrin (I googled street photography).
    It is a great collection of tips. I only just started to be interested in
    street photography (only took 4 pics :), but it's something I really want to
    pursue. Thanks for your article, Andy. Oh, and you have the greatest avatar
    ever.
  • Options
    greenplasticdavegreenplasticdave Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I like your shots. This is something I'm getting into more and more but I often worry that people may get angry if they see me pointing a camera at them.

-Dave-

www.mirkwoodcottage.typepad.com/davidjamesphotography
  • Options
    stephenbrunostephenbruno Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Wonderful Tips
    Thank you for the wonderful tips.

What do you do about the legal issue of photographing people?

Thanks,

Stephen
  • Options
    Jack90210Jack90210 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 19, 2007
    Great thread. I've always struggled with 'imposing' myself on folks when trying to take street pictures.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    158706241-M.jpg 158699878-M.jpg
    Two pictures I shot in Setubal, some past saturday morning, at an open marcket of antiques.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    I stumbled into this thread yesterday and enjoyed reading all the tips and tricks of capturing moments on the street. Being a landscape person myself, I never really had the desire to photograph people or urban settings. After attending (and, of course, photographing) a Japanese Obon festival last weekend, however, I was enthralled by people's expressions and movements as they danced. I thought there might be something to this whole "portrait photography" thing. rolleyes1.gif

So today, the morning after reading through this, I actually went out to take some landscape pictures for a class I'm in right now. I hopped over to my favorite park and noticed there were two people painting over graffiti in my spot. Usually people in my landscapes make me :bash, but I had this thread at the forefront of my mind since I had read it so recently.

I did settle in to take my planned landscape shot, cropping the two men out of the frame. Before rising from my spot, I switched my lenses, changed my aperture, and set the shutter speed (trying to follow Andy's great advice!). Then I got up and walked right up to the two guys, greeted them with a cheery "good morning!" and asked if I could take their picture while they worked. I was a bit amazed they agreed so easily! :D I began talking with them and casually taking pictures, lowering my camera to engage them a bit and continuing the conversation as I raised my camera again for a shot. Being a BIG introvert, I was extremely nervous, but I ended up enjoying it.

Thanks, Andy, for helping me broaden my spectrum a bit more. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

Anyone got a pass to the 'zone'?

lol3.gif I love this!
  • Options
    bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Wonderful thread! If I had my choice of how to spend a day taking pictures it would almost always be street photography. I sometimes like to go into the East End of Vancouver which is a very rough area and have found that there, a good super-zoom is a must. I now use a Tamron 18-250 so that I can keep some distance if needed. I also try to dress not like a tourist but more like I am working (press) and always keep my eyes peeled139426498-M-1.jpg for someone taking too much notice of me. It is easy to get mugged for your wallet and gear in that area. I always have an escape route in mind, ie: shops I can duck into or which street gets me to a better area quickest.

148471733-L-1.jpg

139425897-L-1.jpg
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    a good super-zoom is a must. I now use a Tamron 18-250 so that I can keep some distance if needed.

I prefer to shoot with a wide angle lens, and connect with my subjects. It's much more intimate that way:
    13485914-L.jpg

I feel that shooting street with a telephoto lens is very much like invading privacy and sniping. Your next time out, take a 35mm lens ONLY and give it a whirl thumb.gif
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I prefer to shoot with a wide angle lens, and connect with my subjects. It's much more intimate that way:
    13485914-L.jpg

I feel that shooting street with a telephoto lens is very much like invading privacy and sniping. Your next time out, take a 35mm lens ONLY and give it a whirl thumb.gif

I assume you get a positive reaction most of the time? This fellow does not look pleased. You get major kudos for getting the shot. My fear of confrontation would keep from taking it.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:

5766045-L.jpg

Here is the thing that always stopped me from taking this photo.

Do you have to have them deal.gif sign a weiver to be able to sell there picture?

Cuz personal/hobby photos are fine. but in the business sense what do you do?

thats what always stopped me.
    EVGENY:D
    www.petrovphotography.com
    http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
    Canon 430EX Flash