Canon 75-300 DO

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited October 1, 2007 in Cameras
Does anyone shoot with the Canon 75-300 DO lens? I am looking at getting one and using it in situations where I use my 70-200/2.8 right now. I am trying to shed some weight, so my back will not ache so much at the end of the day.

If you have used these two lenses how do they compare in terms of image quality?

Is the DO worth the extra money over the non-DO, based on image quality?

I would probably be shooting most shots near wide open.

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    How about the 70-200f4L non IS? Its a very sharp lens and not near as heavy as the 2.8?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    How about the 70-200f4L non IS? Its a very sharp lens and not near as heavy as the 2.8?

Z

I thought about it. I plan to keep the 70-200/2.8, so the 70-300 would give me greater reach.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    I have one and use it on a 5D. I really like to throw it in the bag along with the 15mm fish, 17-40/4 and the 24-105/4 when I am out shooting landscapes as any of the 70-200 variations are too large to bring along in my already crowded bag. I mostly shoot around f/11 and stopped down it gives great results in most circumstances. At f/5.6 it is workable in a pinch, but I wouldn't describe it as great.
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    patch29 wrote:
    Does anyone shoot with the Canon 75-300 DO lens? I am looking at getting one and using it in situations where I use my 70-200/2.8 right now. I am trying to shed some weight, so my back will not ache so much at the end of the day.

If you have used these two lenses how do they compare in terms of image quality?

Is the DO worth the extra money over the non-DO, based on image quality?

I would probably be shooting most shots near wide open.

Hi
    Denise does @ http://denise.smugmug.com/
    Hope she won't mind me chipping here :))
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    I've had this lens over a year now. It's strong point is versatility. Set it a f/8 in decent light and forget it. Sweet spot at about 250mm. The zoom flopping can be irritating at times.
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    The zoom flopping can be irritating at times.

Has the lens always been loose? I held on the other day and it was very tight, almost too tight, will it loosen up over time?

I hope to get to test one soon.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    patch29 wrote:
    Has the lens always been loose? I held on the other day and it was very tight, almost too tight, will it loosen up over time?

I noticed in the description:

"A superior performance, ultra-compact telephoto zoom lens with Canon's Image Stabilization. These Diffractive Optics elements are combined to reduce size and boost image quality. AF is super-fast and silent with a ring-type USM, and it focuses down to 4.6 feet – without rotating the front element. A new zoom lock button keeps the lens safe and secure when not in use or used at the wide angle."

But this only locks it at 70 degrees. There is a review of the lens at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-70-300mm.shtml
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    salazar wrote:
    A new zoom lock button keeps the lens safe and secure when not in use or used at the wide angle."

But this only locks it at 70 degrees. There is a review of the lens at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-70-300mm.shtml

Thanks for the link. I also noticed the lock button, too bad it does not work at all focal lengths.
  • traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    a very good lens in right hands and conditions
    i've had this lens for a few years and it is best used in decent light at about f/8 and can sometimes use a bit of sharpening in post. That said, it is a terrific travel lens and a very useful walk around for unobtrusive candids. Stbilization works great. I have taken many shots that i'm proud of with this lens and can recommend it without much in the way of reservation.

As long as you are patient enough to learn its strong points and limitations, you'll enjoy it.

regards...Keith
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT