gallery/folder within a gallery?

dididaniellephotodididaniellephoto Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited September 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm pretty sure there's a way to do this but what I read on it so far (comparing categories to subcats to galleries) was far too complicated for my peasized brain...

I have a 'client proof gallery' page. Within it is 'Stuart and Shasta's' gallery full of 450+ wedding photos. I think it would be so much easier and organized to separate the wedding photos into different folders (for reception, ceremony, formals, etc. etc.). Is there a step by step directions to THIS anywhere?

Thank you Thank you!

: ) Didi
www.dididaniellephoto.com --> Client Proof Galleries --> Stuart and Shasta --> 5 folders???

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
  • dididaniellephotodididaniellephoto Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    WAIT... That link was helpful but there's still a problem for me because my weddings are already galleries, not categories. So how do I give them subcategories?

Confused again... So in the process of trying, I added a random subcategory here and a random gallery there... only God knows where they ended up...

ooops.

www.dididaniellephoto.com to 'Client Proof Galleries' to 'Stuart and Shasta'
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Perhaps you could make each wedding a sub-category, with galleries for the individual aspects of each wedding?
    edited September 24, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    Perhaps you could make each wedding a sub-category, with galleries for the individual aspects of each wedding?

This is so confusing!

I didn't know there was more than one way to add a wedding to a client proof gallery! Do I delete the wedding and start over? IF so, how was I supposed to add a 'category' to my Client Proof Gallery? I don't see this anywhere!

I feel like I have to start the whole website over just to fix one wedding... Did I really do it all wrong from the beginning? eek7.gif

Someone?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    This is so confusing!

I didn't know there was more than one way to add a wedding to a client proof gallery! Do I delete the wedding and start over? IF so, how was I supposed to add a 'category' to my Client Proof Gallery? I don't see this anywhere!

I feel like I have to start the whole website over just to fix one wedding... Did I really do it all wrong from the beginning? eek7.gif

Someone?
    Don't delete anything, it can all be reorganized using categories and sub-cats.

Create a "Stuart and Shasta Wedding" sub-category under "Client Proof Galleries"
    category. Then split the 450 photos into individual galleries for reception,
    ceremony, formals, etc. Link to create a sub-category here.
    [U]category               [/U]  [U]sub-cat              [/U]   [U]galleries[/U]
    Client Proof Galleries
                            Stuart and Shasta Wedding
                                                    reception
                                                    ceremony
                                                    formals

In each gallery under "customize gallery" set the category and
    sub-category.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    Allen wrote:
    Create a "Stuart and Shasta Wedding" sub-category under "Client Proof Galleries"
    quote]

thank you. okay, I think I finally figured out how to 'set' a category or sub-category, which helps, but now i'm stuck at 'split the photos into individual galleries'. If the photos are already in a different gallery how do I split them up?

Do I need to add all the new galleries (reception, ceremony, etc.) before I can split them up?

Ugh.. I just set the wedding gallery to a category/subcat and now it's hidden somewhere! Now I can't even find the wedding gallery at all...

I think I keep making things worse.

headscratch.gif
    Okay I found the missing wedding gallery! Now it's inside a subcategory which is inside a category which... is...

Or something like that.

I still don't get how I 'split the 450 photos into individual galleries'...

I hope it's as simple and dragging and dropping?

Allen wrote:
    quote]

thank you. okay, I think I finally figured out how to 'set' a category or sub-category, which helps, but now i'm stuck at 'split the photos into individual galleries'. If the photos are already in a different gallery how do I split them up?

Do I need to add all the new galleries (reception, ceremony, etc.) before I can split them up?

Ugh.. I just set the wedding gallery to a category/subcat and now it's hidden somewhere! Now I can't even find the wedding gallery at all...

headscratch.gif
    Allen wrote:
    quote]

headscratch.gif
    Here's your wedding category.

http://www.dididaniellephoto.com/Weddings
    It shows "no galleries found" because they don't have any photos in them yet.

Create the galleries first. Then in the 450 photo galley go to "photo tools" dropdown and click "move photos".

At the top in the dropdown pick one of the new galleries.

Then select, highlights with red border, all the photos to move to the new gallery. Then click move at the top.

Repeat this for all the other new galleries. When done all the photos should be
    moved out of the 450 photo gallery.
    Thank you. This MAY be working... but I can't tell because nothing will move. Just says 'waiting for www.smugmug.com...' forever and ever. Is it likely that this is common and it will just take a long time?

edited September 25, 2007
    Thank you. This MAY be working... but I can't tell because nothing will move. Just says 'waiting for www.smugmug.com...' forever and ever. Is it likely that this is common and it will just take a long time?

Takes a little time to move the photos, esp. it you selected a bunch.
    edited September 25, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Takes a little time to move the photos, esp. it you selected a bunch.

ahhh.. i just learn to select a few at a time otherwise it eventually times out. Thanks a million. we'll see where things stand when i've moved everything.