Options

Digital ESP metering ESP, Center weighted averaging metering, Spot metering

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited September 28, 2007 in Technique
Could someone give me examples of when to use these types of metering please?

Digital ESP metering ESP,

Center weighted averaging metering,

Spot metering

:barb

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    bump
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    The last time I used center weighted was back in '92 when I was shooting with a Nikon FA. The FA only had center weighted metering!

A shot like this might be a good candidate for center weighted:
    145279071-M.jpg

Late afternoon light coming through trees. With center weighted the metering would come up with a good exposure for the subject's face while not paying much attention to the dark shadow areas in the background or the highlight areas in direct sunlight.
    Although it's not the best example, here is a photo I used spot metering on:
    78735217-M.jpg

I went with spot metering because I was using flash inside a trailer where the floors, walls and ceiling were stark white. Even better, the walls were covered in the material used to make dry-erase boards. I figured all the light bouncing back from the walls and ceiling would cause the meter to under expose the shot. With spot I was able to force the meter to come up with an exposure based on Duane's Santa Claus-esque head.
    Digital ESP is similar to the Matrix metering on my D70. For 95% of my shooting I use matrix metering. But here is a situtaion where the matrix meter really earned its keep.
    194819701-M.jpg
    200660988-M.jpg

Bicycle racers going by at a roundabout. When they first apear they are almost backlit. As they ride past the angle of the light completely changes. I'm sure someone could get good results using center (or even spot) in this situation, but it's just sooooo much easier just to let the camera sort it all out!
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    If you want to just point and shoot with your camera, Digital ESP (which I assume is a brand of matrix metering) is going to be the right choice as that is what it is designed for.

While Center Weighted Average will make more mistakes in metering, it has the advantage of being more predictable so if you are good at riding the exposure compensation it can give better results.

Spot Metering is best when there is somthing in the scene of predictable brightness. The easiest use of it is when there is something white in the scene. Spot meter on it and push the exposure 2-3 stops depending on how much detail you want to retain.