Options

A Whipping Post Tutorial

Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
edited September 25, 2007 in Finishing School
[MOD EDIT: This post was moved from this thread in the Whipping Post, as we keep it to critique in there. This tutorial will best serve all here in Finishing School]

Maldon,

I believe it worked better as a black and white. Here is what I did in CS3

198566974-S.jpg
First I made a quick mask with the gradiant tool, followed by a adj layer on the mask and darkened it.

198567064-S.jpg
THen I converted it to black and white using a "black and white new adj layer" I chose the green filter option.

198566983-M.jpg
Then I selected the mask from the first adj layer, inverted it and made a new adj layer, which I added contrast too. This added contrast and brightened up the hills.

198567002-M.jpg
Now with a the tones I liked I made the choice to blur the top and bottom thus leaving the cloud and top of the hill sharp. THis added a bit more mystery. To do this, I copied the background layer and then added a gaussian blur of around 50. I then added a layer mask to that background copy and began painting away the areas I wanted sharp with the paint brush (0% hardness). You can also adj the opacity of the layer if it is still too blurred.

198567072-M.jpg

Finally, I darkened the sky and a bit of the bottom again on another adj layer. Here is how much I dragged the curve down. As yo will notice, the sky is only about 25% of the total tonal range of the file and I wanted to bring it down about two stops. Because the mask has a gradated edge you dont notice the selection.

Ta da! the final before and after

198577567-M.jpg

198567024-M.jpg

It is difficult to see the blur as it is meant to be a subtle alteration for printing.

Comments

• Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Marc, wow, that was excellent, thank you!!! One of the best photoshop tutorials I've seen, very helpful! (copy and flip the mask - yes!, so easy - among several other "why didn't I think of that" golden nuggets)

Maldon, this is an excellent image, it has great layers and depth with good composition. The result in black and white is stunning, this is the photography I love. Many congratulations, it will look great on the wall!

Marc, quick technical question ... when you are darkening, do you just use a curves adjustment layer with mask or do you sometimes set an adjustment layer to "multiply" with mask? Ups and downs of these choices?
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Marc, quick technical question ... when you are darkening, do you just use a curves adjustment layer with mask or do you sometimes set an adjustment layer to "multiply" with mask? Ups and downs of these choices?

I always use the curve to darken, as I have much more control.
  • Options
    MaldonMaldon Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    Slack jawed with amazement
    seastack wrote:
    Marc, wow, that was excellent, thank you!!! One of the best photoshop tutorials I've seen, very helpful! (copy and flip the mask - yes!, so easy - among several other "why didn't I think of that" golden nuggets)

Maldon, this is an excellent image, it has great layers and depth with good composition. The result in black and white is stunning, this is the photography I love. Many congratulations, it will look great on the wall!

Many thanks Marc. I thought originally that there was a picture in there somewhere, but I was starting to doubt it. Thanks for retoring my confidence and for the lesson. And, Seastack, for the kind words. You have both just made my day.
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Nice!
    Beautiful shot before Marc, even better with his touch. bowdown.gif

I just got CS3 yesterday... dang, do I have a lot to learn. ;)