back light......

frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
edited September 25, 2007 in People
200237614-L.jpg

late afternoon shot....... Diffused sunlight from the front......home made snoot on an sb 600 aimed behind his head at 1/32 power to add a bit of separation between hair and wall (got the idea on strobist).

C & C most welcome

Comments

• photojen1photojen1 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    This is my first post and I have a lot to learn but for what it's worth - I love what you've done here...the result is great! Now I need to figure out just exactly what you mean in explaining what you've done! Thanks for sharing!
    Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.
    --Rachel Carson
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    this is a really great shot! the backlighting is VERY subtle but effective. Adorable subject!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    :D Thanks for your comments.....
  • frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    photojen1 wrote:
    This is my first post and I have a lot to learn but for what it's worth - I love what you've done here...the result is great! Now I need to figure out just exactly what you mean in explaining what you've done! Thanks for sharing!

Welcome Photojen, this is a great place to learn

this is an otherwise normal photo, I just lighted the background a bit with my nikon sb600 flash off the camera ( without the extra light his hair would probably have blended in with the background).

A snoot is a device that allows you to restrict the light coming out of your flash (sort of turning it into a spot light) which allows you to direct it a bit better to where you want the light to go, in this case just behind his head without spilling the light all over the place.

Snoot....
    Flash without the snoot - made it from this plastic container (coconut juice) which fit perfectly on the sb600

200389724-S.jpg

with the snoot

200389894-S.jpg

Hope that helps....

SloYerRoll has a neat tutorial on off camera flash you may want to check out
    http://jbrittphoto.blogspot.com/

have a look at the strobist site as well http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
  • photojen1photojen1 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    Thank you!
    Thanks for taking the time to explain and demonstrate! This is definitely a place where I can learn from some very talented and very generous people! I'm so glad I found it!
    Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.
    --Rachel Carson
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Thank you
    FRG, that is the epitome of a helpful post.
    My hat's off to you.clap.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.