Options

A "basic" question...

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited October 10, 2007 in Technique
Ok, so I have been reading Dgrin lately like a junkie. And I look at other people's photos. One thing I have noticed is my pictures suck in comparison to a lot of the other members. Granted many of them are professionals, with 1D's and whatever Nikon makes, but I also see people who use my camera or a lesser model and their pictures just seem to look better.

So my question will be very basic.

I know ISO speeds affect noise and graininess, but do they effect the picture any other way, something I may not have noticed yet? And if so how can I utilize/account for it?

Shutter speeds. Obviously they affect motion blur and freeze motion. But I have been told when using flash it controls ambient light. Again, is there something I am missing and how can I utilize it?

Aperture. It controls DOF and how much light hits the sensor. But how is that light affected? And how can I use that to make better pictures. I know the smaller the aperture the sharper the image, but I never seem to get it right.

And anything else you could give me to make crisper more balanced photos. Such as tips on metering. It never fails that my photos either turn out very shadowy on the foreground subject, or the skies are completely blown out. And I want to fix it. So I'm starting back at the very beginning :D

Thank you.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    If I had to pick one single thing that has helped me become a better photographer, it has been learning to see contrast and shadows accurately. From there, I developed a whole toolbox for improving the light when I know the ambient won't give be good pictures. Camera settings alone won't save you if the light is poor. You need to move, adjust the environment or add your own light into the mix.

There are two things to look for when evaluating light: how soft or hard it is and how much contrast there is. Hard light give you shadows with crisp recognizable outlines. Soft light blurs the shadows to relatively indistinct areas of light and dark. I usually think of contrast in stops of exposure difference between the highlights and the shadows. Low contrast light is less than one stop. 2 stops of contrast is very high. The easiest light to work with is moderatly soft with a contrast of just under one stop. In that light you almost can't go wrong. As a general rule, I tend to perfer harder light in low contrast situations and softer light in high contrast situations. However, there are exceptions to that for specific kinds of shots.

Here's the rub: mid day direct sunlight is very hard and has typically a contrast of about 3 stops. The situations in which unmodified direct sun will give you a good shot are few and far between. Your underexposed subject or blown out sky problem is somthing everyone faces. At ISO 100 and 1/100s, the sky is f/16 and a backlit face is f/5.6. You can't win; there is no setting on your camera that will reconcile that difference. You need to learn to recoginze friendlier light, use it when you've got it and create it when you don't.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    LA is definately a great source to get knowledge from.
    I'd like to add that you have a good basic understanding of photography and that will go very far. There are many that spend a long time truly grasping these initial concepts.

In addition to LA's post. My .02 is take ALLOT of pictures. I studied the crap out of these forums when I first got into photography and saw no improvement in my shots. Then I 'gave up' on tghe forum and jsut started shooting. THe difference of my before and after shots are night and day!

Have fun w/ your camera!

-Jon
  • Options
    Thanks. I work for the paper and sometimes i don't the luxury of waiting for good light. And studio lights just won't work. So I was just wondering if there were any tricks I didn't know. But t hat helped a lot.

The other problem is my dad has given me butt loads of info, but I haven't been able to put it into practice yet, so I'm sure I know what to do, I just haven't thought to use it yet.

You may know my dad, he's Pathfinder here :D
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Meeee Tooooooo!!!!!
    ccpickre wrote:
    One thing I have noticed is my pictures suck in comparison to a lot of the other members.
    They cheat! I don't know how, but they cheat. . . they must . . . right???headscratch.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    ccpickre wrote:
    Thanks. I work for the paper and sometimes i don't the luxury of waiting for good light. And studio lights just won't work. So I was just wondering if there were any tricks I didn't know. But t hat helped a lot.

The other problem is my dad has given me butt loads of info, but I haven't been able to put it into practice yet, so I'm sure I know what to do, I just haven't thought to use it yet.

You may know my dad, he's Pathfinder here :D

Strategies for improving light depend a lot on what you are shooting.

If you can't pick the time, can you pick the location? Shooting in the shade is almost always better than direct sun. Better yet, when you are looking for shade, pay attention to where the light is coming from. Sky light will give your shots a blue cast, but you can warm that up with a gold reflector. Light filtered through trees sometimes picks up a greenish which occasionally gives very problematic skin tones.

Can you make your own shade? Scrims are wonderful because they result in ambient with a 5000K color temperature. For shooting portraits, I will sometimes make my own shade with a translucent Lite Disc.

Learn to use a hot shoe flash. Outdoors you will want a powerful one (I use a 580EX). The best use for on camera flash is filling in shadows. Cross lighting the sun with an off camera flash is even better.
  • Options
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Strategies for improving light depend a lot on what you are shooting.

If you can't pick the time, can you pick the location? Shooting in the shade is almost always better than direct sun. Better yet, when you are looking for shade, pay attention to where the light is coming from. Sky light will give your shots a blue cast, but you can warm that up with a gold reflector. Light filtered through trees sometimes picks up a greenish which occasionally gives very problematic skin tones.

Can you make your own shade? Scrims are wonderful because they result in ambient with a 5000K color temperature. For shooting portraits, I will sometimes make my own shade with a translucent Lite Disc.

Learn to use a hot shoe flash. Outdoors you will want a powerful one (I use a 580EX). The best use for on camera flash is filling in shadows. Cross lighting the sun with an off camera flash is even better.

Well, I have a 430. Not the best, but it's come in extremely handy now that I'm getting the hang of it. The other problem is that sometimes you just don't have the luxury of picking a time or place. They are where they are, and they are when they are.

The other problem is that with working for the paper, you have to be careful what you do. You can't ask people to move or do things different than they are doing, or alter a setting/photo in any way due to ethics. So that is limiting as well.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 26, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    Well, I have a 430. Not the best, but it's come in extremely handy now that I'm getting the hang of it. The other problem is that sometimes you just don't have the luxury of picking a time or place. They are where they are, and they are when they are.

The other problem is that with working for the paper, you have to be careful what you do. You can't ask people to move or do things different than they are doing, or alter a setting/photo in any way due to ethics. So that is limiting as well.

Don't worry if your PJ pics don't measure up to some of the pics you see on Dgrin. It's not a fair comparison. Many of the pics you see here are carefully staged and cherry-picked. Your point of reference needs to be other photojournalism images taken under the same constraints that you face.

Oh yeah, and listen to your dad. The rest of us here have learned a lot from him.

Regards,
  • Options
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Don't worry if your PJ pics don't measure up to some of the pics you see on Dgrin. It's not a fair comparison. Many of the pics you see here are carefully staged and cherry-picked. Your point of reference needs to be other photojournalism images taken under the same constraints that you face.

Oh yeah, and listen to your dad. The rest of us here have learned a lot from him.

Regards,
    Oh believe me, I have :D I'm just one of those people who likes to get info from many many different sources (force of habit from working at the paper).

And I was referring to my photography in general. My PJ to other PJ, my portraits to other portraits.
  • Options
    ccpickre wrote:

Your 430EX is your friend and will serve you well in most circumstances. Learning to use it well will pay huge divedends. Also look into triggering it remotely either with an ST-E2 or radio slaves. My 430EX and ST-E2 go almost everywhere my camera goes. The 580EX is 2/3 stop more powerful, but that translates into only about 20% more range so most of the time if I only bring one strobe it is the 430. That said, I do prefer the 580 when shooting in full sun because the extra power does come in handy when balancing with the bright ambient.
  • Options
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Your 430EX is your friend and will serve you well in most circumstances. Learning to use it well will pay huge divedends. Also look into triggering it remotely either with an ST-E2 or radio slaves. My 430EX and ST-E2 go almost everywhere my camera goes. The 580EX is 2/3 stop more powerful, but that translates into only about 20% more range so most of the time if I only bring one strobe it is the 430. That said, I do prefer the 580 when shooting in full sun because the extra power does come in handy when balancing with the bright ambient.

Ok, thanks :)
  • Options
    yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    I'm no pro, but maybe shooting with an upgraded lens might help. When I first started, I had nothing but the good 'ole kit lens that came with my 20D. After I got some of the basic functions down, I went to the local photo store and borrowed an L lens. I noticed that some of the "pop" that was missing from my photos - sharp focus and crisp images - was due to a lesser-than-wow kit lens. At least it seemed that way.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 9, 2007
    The Vivitar 285HV is about 1-2 stops more powerful than the 430ex, for use in bright sun this might be important.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    Ok, so I have been reading Dgrin lately like a junkie. And I look at other people's photos. One thing I have noticed is my pictures suck in comparison to a lot of the other members. Granted many of them are professionals, with 1D's and whatever Nikon makes, but I also see people who use my camera or a lesser model and their pictures just seem to look better.

So my question will be very basic.

I know ISO speeds affect noise and graininess, but do they effect the picture any other way, something I may not have noticed yet? And if so how can I utilize/account for it?
    ISO is not much more than an amplification of the signal and noise generated by the sensor and A/D converter. Noise and graininess (same thing, just different name) is a function of the extent to which the digital signal has been amplified prior to storage. Within the usual range of ISO settings, there is no other appreciable impact on your photos.
    ccpickre wrote:
    Shutter speeds. Obviously they affect motion blur and freeze motion. But I have been told when using flash it controls ambient light. Again, is there something I am missing and how can I utilize it?
    When shooting with flash, the flash fires so fast that the shutter speed has NO impact on the amount of light from the flash impacting on the sensor. Remember, the flash fires in milli-seconds whereas the max shutter sync speed on your (and my) camera is 1/250 second. The only thing that controls the amount of light from the flash impacting on the sensor is the aperture and any filters in the light path.

In absolute terms, both the shutter speed and the aperture control how much ambient light impacts on the sensor. However, you are using the aperture to control the amount of light from the flash that is registered. You can't vary that for the ambient or it will mess up your exposure from the flash. So, you use the shutter. Just like with "normal" photography (like, without the flash), the shutter plays a part in the amount of ambient registered. However, since the aperture can't be varied when you are shooting with flash, the shutter gets to control how much ambient light is allowed to impact on the sensor. The longer the shutter is open, the more ambient you get - just like "normal" photography.

The impact this has on your photo can be summarized as:
    • Exposure - usually not a lot of impact as the ambient light is often 2 or more stops lower then the flash.
    • White Balance - many times, ambient light is tungsten. So, increasing your ambient exposure will tend to warm the photo a bit or a lot, depending on the exposure contribution from the ambient.
    • Ghosting (subject motion blur) - of course, the longer the shutter is open, the greater the chance for your subject to move. If they move during the exposure you will see something. The greater the contribution ambient makes, the more the ghosting will be appearant. One can set the shutter synchronization to second shutter to maximize the aesthetic appeal of this. Doing so will cause the flash to fire just before the shutter closes so all the ghosting to happen before the flash is fired and the ghosting will appear to be in the "right" direction.
    • I'm sure I've missed something important in this list - if so, someone will say something! :D
    ccpickre wrote:
    Aperture. It controls DOF and how much light hits the sensor. But how is that light affected? And how can I use that to make better pictures. I know the smaller the aperture the sharper the image, but I never seem to get it right.
    The larger the aperture, the narrower the DOF. Visit www.dofmaster.com for some tools to actually play with DOF numbers.

As you close down the aperture, the DOF becomes wider, causing things that were OOF to appear to be in focus. Something to keep in mind though is that as you decrease the aperture, you increase the effects of light difraction. Here are a couple of worthwhile links to read up on that:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-diffraction.shtml
    ccpickre wrote:
    And anything else you could give me to make crisper more balanced photos. Such as tips on metering. It never fails that my photos either turn out very shadowy on the foreground subject, or the skies are completely blown out. And I want to fix it. So I'm starting back at the very beginning :D

Thank you.
    Read Ansel Adams' "The Negative" for a very good discussion on metering and his zone system. This was an eye-opener for me. It is a very analytical way of evaluating a scene, much the same way as outlined by LiquidAir (above). When you read it, remember he was working with negative film, which has a wider dynamic range than does either positive film (slides) or digital. Where he was able to get 7 or 8 stops of DR from his film, we are pretty much limited to about 5 stops with digital (but that's improving!).

This already way to long - so I'll leave it there ... I hope this helps someonene_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Holy crap. I was having enough trouble with all the math my dad was throwing at me. Now there's physics too? I'll never figure all this out :D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    Holy crap. I was having enough trouble with all the math my dad was throwing at me. Now there's physics too? I'll never figure all this out :D
    Study the math/physics only enough to understand the general principles. Attempting to calculate, for example, the exact hyperfocal distance of a lens at a given f-stop is a waste of time. Go out and just do it and get a feel for it. Record what you do and then use that information when you take the image back to your computer for analysis.

Easy stuff!
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Easy stuff!
    Oh, well, when you put it like that :D