Watermark is only available for Pro accounts?

legolaslegolas Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited September 26, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi
Thank you for reading my post.
Having watermark in photos is a very basic need of everyone who take photos.
Why it is only available for Pro accounts with such heavy price, Is there technical problem for watermark or something like that?
Something like Watermarking should be available to all paid members.

Thanks.

Comments

• RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    I think it'd be because the only people with a need for watermarks are professional photographers, who the pro account is aimed at!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    legolas wrote:
    Hi
    Thank you for reading my post.
    Having watermark in photos is a very basic need of everyone who take photos.
    Why it is only available for Pro accounts with such heavy price, Is there technical problem for watermark or something like that?
    Something like Watermarking should be available to all paid members.

Thanks.

I understand why others besides pros would perhaps like watermarks, so you don't need to argue the point with me.

But, I think the general idea is that watermarks are used to prevent people from stealing a picture instead of buying it. Only with a pro account is the selling of photos on Smugmug a money making operation for the photographer so, while someone may want to borrow an image from a non-pro, the photographer isn't losing a money making Smugmug sale.

I don't know if this is a motivation for Smugmug or not for this feature, but Smugmug needs to maintain some level of differentiation among the different account levels and this is one thing that distinguishes the pro account level.

If you aren't letting people order prints, then you can size your image to a good size for web display and just put the watermark on yourself before uploading. That way you can do it at any account level. It will get scaled along with the other web display sizes, but you could have a watermark.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question