Options

Lightroom/PSCS3/Save As???

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited September 27, 2007 in Finishing School
I've just made the move from Elements to Lightroom and PSCS3. I'm obviously a slow learner. How come I can't "Save As" a jpeg from PSCS3 after working on a tiff sent for editing to PS3 from Lightroom?

If I open a file straight into PS3 (without coming from Lightroom) I can "save as" a jpeg. If I open it for editing from Lightroom, Lightroom FIRST creates a tiff copy of the NEF (raw) file, then opens that in PS3. When I'm done trashing (errr...editing) it in PS3, I can't "save as" a jpeg. What gives? Lightroom's protocol seems to be a hell of a waste of HD space.
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    I've just made the move from Elements to Lightroom and PSCS3. I'm obviously a slow learner. How come I can't "Save As" a jpeg from PSCS3 after working on a tiff sent for editing to PS3 from Lightroom?

If I open a file straight into PS3 (without coming from Lightroom) I can "save as" a jpeg. If I open it for editing from Lightroom, Lightroom FIRST creates a tiff copy of the NEF (raw) file, then opens that in PS3. When I'm done trashing (errr...editing) it in PS3, I can't "save as" a jpeg. What gives? Lightroom's protocol seems to be a hell of a waste of HD space.

Usually when you can't do a Save As JPEG in CSx, it's because the image is 16-bits. Change it to 8-bits (Image/Mode/8-bits) and you will then be allowed to save it to JPEG.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2007
    Thanks!
    Too much to remember!
    John :
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Too much to remember!

To explain it further, if you look at your preferences in Lightroom, you probably have it set to send a 16-bit file to Photoshop and probably also in ProPhoto RGB.

So just check your preferences in Lightroom and that will tell you what the input into photoshop will be.

So, if you are sending 16-bit ProPhoto based Tiff files to Photoshop, then in addition to changing to 8-bit before saving, you'll probably also want to convert from ProPhoto to another color space (unless directly printing yourself and handling the color at printing).

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    Color Space - ICC Profiles Gaaahhhh!!!
    Yeah, I noticed some of the JPEGS I burned direct from Lightroom looked like crap in Windows Viewer. Turned out I'd saved them in ProPhoto instead of sRGB. I've read everything I could stay awake through, and STILL don't understand how the camera's RGB space relates to the Lightroom profile relates to the PS profile (forget the 12bit-16bit-8bit bit) relates to the display profile relates to my inkjet printer's profile relates to a lab printer's profile. And what's the difference between a "space" and a "profile" and, to quote JarJar Binks - "Me give up!" :cry
    John :
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    I'm using your same set up - why don't you just press save (while working on the TIFF), In lightroom, it will reflect the changes that you made in PS, and then you can export it from there with the rest of your batch...that is what I do and it is much easier.
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    Icebear wrote:
    Yeah, I noticed some of the JPEGS I burned direct from Lightroom looked like crap in Windows Viewer. Turned out I'd saved them in ProPhoto instead of sRGB. I've read everything I could stay awake through, and STILL don't understand how the camera's RGB space relates to the Lightroom profile relates to the PS profile (forget the 12bit-16bit-8bit bit) relates to the display profile relates to my inkjet printer's profile relates to a lab printer's profile. And what's the difference between a "space" and a "profile" and, to quote JarJar Binks - "Me give up!" :cry

First off, you can build export presets so, if you want to view the images in a non ICC aware application, you end up in sRGB.

As for how this all works:

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200701_rodneycm.pdf

And

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Icebear wrote:

Until you feel like you fully understand profiles and colorspaces (they can be learned, but are somewhat complicated), I would suggest that you only use sRGB. So, anytime you export an image from Lightroom, you should make sure that you export as sRGB. If you follow this one simple step, you won't make large mistakes (like delivering an image in colorspace X when all it understands is Y). Further, Smugmug and EzPrints require sRGB so if it's going online, you need to end up in sRGB anyway. Lightroom may use ProPhotoRGB internally, but as long as you take an image out of Lightroom using it's export features and make sure you select sRGB when doing so, you should be fine.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    While you are at the early learning stage on this, I would support what jfriend wrote in the last post as well.

I think, when you are trying to get your head around it, there are benefits in making it as simple as possible (and building LR export presets as suggested by Andrew Rodney would be the way to go, or change the preferences to export in sRGB).

However, I would also encourage you to take the time to get an understanding of colorspaces, different gamuts, profiles and calibration. Afterwards, I would then suggest you export your images for editing in PS using ProPhoto RGB.

I might also suggest a good book on color management and while I don't have it myself, I have heard from others that Andrew Rodney's book is well written.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate