Lots of Trouble Uploading

Jenny in SeattleJenny in Seattle Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited September 26, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I can't get my photos to upload to my site (prettymountain) anymore, not without a lot of pain, where it was completely painless the last several years.

I don't think any of the available uploaders are working. I was able to get about 23 loaded, in about 2 hours. Then it just quit, with around 70 left to load.

When I did get some to load last week, it doubled each picture, causing me a lot of anguish and time to figure out the duplicates, and delete. It put them out of order too, causing me to arrange them.

I have a new camera that is 10 mp rather than my former 3.2 mp. Could this be a problem? I can't remember anymore if that is when my troubles started.

Could it be my computer? I'm going to try to upload from another computer tonight.

Any ideas?

Comments

• RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    Either your suffering poor connectivity to SmugMug (some people seem to be at the moment, have you noticed SM being particularly slow?), or the photos are too large for your account (Although I think most uploaders do check for this).

Do you use Picasa? You could try the Picasa uploader if so - it uploads photos in order, and will tell you if photos are too large for your account (and optionally resize them).
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    I can't get my photos to upload to my site (prettymountain) anymore, not without a lot of pain, where it was completely painless the last several years.

I don't think any of the available uploaders are working. I was able to get about 23 loaded, in about 2 hours. Then it just quit, with around 70 left to load.

When I did get some to load last week, it doubled each picture, causing me a lot of anguish and time to figure out the duplicates, and delete. It put them out of order too, causing me to arrange them.

I have a new camera that is 10 mp rather than my former 3.2 mp. Could this be a problem? I can't remember anymore if that is when my troubles started.

Could it be my computer? I'm going to try to upload from another computer tonight.

Any ideas?
    Sounds like your file sizes are about three times larger, so it will maybe take three times longer to upload?:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    Allen wrote:
    Sounds like your file sizes are about three times larger, so it will maybe take three times longer to upload?:D

Doesn't explain the quitting and duplication, though :)
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    Doesn't explain the quitting and duplication, though :)
    For dups go into delete photo under photo tools, they should be sorted by file
    name and you can quickly see the dups next to each other.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Jenny in SeattleJenny in Seattle Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    Allen wrote:

RichardJohn~ you mention my photos might be too large for my account. How do I know that? I didn't realize there was a limit? I didn't want to resize because I use smugmug as a backup, and would therefore want the best ones? When I look at the smugmug main page it says enjoy 'unlimited storage.'

Allen, Maybe, I could see that is being the issue ~ longer upload times !

But to explain further... the uploaders are rarely allowing me to upload at all, and some of them don't work whatsoever: the 'upload' button does not allow me to click on it for most of the uploader choices. That in itself seems strange, no?

I tried the simple one for small batches, this morning, and nothing has been uploaded, not one single picture. Not even that one is working now.

Maybe I'll be able to wrangle another 23 with a lot of pain, involving going to different uploaders, seeing if they allow me to click, getting it to go, then watching a couple hours later how it only uploaded 20% of the ones I chose. Is it really supposed to be that hard!?

Maybe I need to reinstall Java or something. Maybe it is my computer. Sorry, I am really quite frustated. Thanks for listening. Thanks for your replies.
    I don't have Picasa. I'm not sure what it is.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    RichardJohn~ you mention my photos might be too large for my account. How do I know that? I didn't realize there was a limit?
    I don't think you are above the size limits with a 10 megapixel camera. Here's a link to a page showing the maximum size photos for each type of smugmug account - http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos.

--- Denise
    I don't think you are above the size limits with a 10 megapixel camera. Here's a link to a page showing the maximum size photos for each type of smugmug account - http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise. That is a really helpful link. I'll spend some time looking over that whole page and the troubleshooting information.
    Thanks again.