40D and lenses

JLGouldJLGould Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited October 3, 2007 in Cameras
I'm planning on purchasing the 40D in the next month. While I've had access to SLRs, I don't actually own one myself, so I don't have any lenses.

I do mostly nature photography (wildlife, landscrapes, macro...) with a bit of street and event photography mixed in. I'm assuming I don't want the kit lens (I've heard its only ok).

I've been reading/hearing good things about the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens and seen some good work from it. Looks to run about $550. Opinions?

For now I guess I also need a good every day walkin-around lens- Canon, IS and autofocus. Would really, really like something in the $300 range if at all possible. Recommendations?

Other lenses will have to wait, but the husband has suggested I start making a christmas list, lol. What shall I add....

Comments

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    I'm not sure, But I think the kit lens is a 17-85 USM IS, if it is, you mention a lense for about $300? I say get the Kit lens if it indeed is a 17-85. I find that to be a great walking around lens. But for $300. you're not going find one better. If you are doing landscape, you are going to want the 17mm +.

JLGould wrote:
    I do mostly nature photography (wildlife, landscrapes, macro...) with a bit of street and event photography mixed in. I'm assuming I don't want the kit lens (I've heard its only ok).

For now I guess I also need a good every day walkin-around lens- Canon, IS and autofocus. Would really, really like something in the $300 range if at all possible. Recommendations?
  • JLGouldJLGould Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    shawnc wrote:
    I'm not sure, But I think the kit lens is a 17-85 USM IS, if it is, you mention a lense for about $300? I say get the Kit lens if it indeed is a 17-85. I find that to be a great walking around lens. But for $300. you're not going find one better. If you are doing landscape, you are going to want the 17mm +.

The kit lens is 28-135. Yeah, I'd like something around $300, but if the lens at that price means I'll be dying to replace it in a month, then I'd rather hit up my credit card. ;)
  • wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    I have the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS and I like it very much. I'd also recommend you take a hard look at the 70-200 f/4L; it has much better optics, less reach, and no IS at about the same price point. I sometimes wish I'd bought the latter and a 1.4x teleconverter.

As to a walking around lens, I think the best options are:

17-55 f/2.8 IS, ~ $1000,
    24-105 f/4L IS, also ~ $1000

but they are quite a bit more than your budget. I have both and love them; I tend to use the 17-55 indoors and for landscape shots, and the 24-105 otherwise outdoors.

I believe Tamron and probably Sigma have good value lenses in the walkaround zoom range; others (Ziggy?) should be able to enlighten us.

Regards,
    Wes
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    I see B&H sells the Canon EOS 40D with the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens for only $200.00 more than without the lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518570-REG/Canon_1901B017_EOS_40D_SLR_Digital.html

They sell this lens for $400.00 on it own:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149629-GREY/Canon_2562A002_Zoom_W_A_Telephoto_EF_28_135mm.html

The next cheapest Canon lens B&H sells with IS is the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens which will cost you over $530.00

The following two threads are discussions of the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens with photos taken with the lens included as examples. Worth having a look:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50345

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=69682
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • King of CanadaKing of Canada Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    Both of those lenses are available as kit lenses with the 40D (28-135 and 17-85) and both are probably not the lenses that you heard about in regards to the "kit lens" not being great. The typical Canon Kit lens is the 18-55mm and it's not great at all, while both the 17-85mm and 28-135mm would be about on par with the 70-300mm IS that you mentioned (good consumer grade lenses).

If IS is important to you, the 17-85 or 28-135 would be fine, preferrably the 17-85 because it's wider for a crop camera (it's actually the same as the 28-135 would be on a full frame camera).

That being said, if you can live without IS in your wider lens, go for the Tamron 17-50 2.8 along with your long canon zoom. It's twice the lens for about the same price. Also, the Tamron is closer to L image quality than the 17-85 and 28-135.
    Canon 40D
    Canon 70-200mm F4L
    Sigma 30mm 1.4
    Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home
  • drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    JLGould wrote:
    The kit lens is 28-135. Yeah, I'd like something around $300, but if the lens at that price means I'll be dying to replace it in a month, then I'd rather hit up my credit card. ;)

I got the 28-135 with my 40D, and have been satisfied with it so far - BUT, I also have the 10-22mm canon zoom, which I use a lot for landscapes. I use the 28-135 for landscapes as well, but often have to replace it with the 10-22 for better coverage.

The 10-22 can usually be found on ebay for $600 or a bit less. For $200, the 28-135 is versatile and a good deal - and it beats the heck out of my old 18-55 kit from my Rebel.

Having a 10mm option is fantastic for landscapes - this shot was taken with the 10-22 set at 10mm: http://drdane.smugmug.com/gallery/2418115/2/202488197#202488197

and so were these:
    http://drdane.smugmug.com/gallery/2418115/2/202488197#122897828
    http://drdane.smugmug.com/gallery/2418115/2/202488197#132311847

King of Canada said the 17-85 is also available as a kit lens for the 40D. I was not aware of this, but would have chosen the 28-135 anyway, as it fit well with the other ones I own (10-22 and 100 macro).

The 28-135 only goes to 1:5 for macro, whereas my 100 f2.8 goes to 1:1 ("life size"). If you want real close macro, plan on getting a macro lens. I think the 100 canon is about $500. But you should get a general purpose lens first.

Check out the links Salazar posted, if you haven't already.

Happy Shooting!
    Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• JLGouldJLGould Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to go ahead and get the kit lens and continue researching the other lenses.

I'm concerned about going without IS since I don't use a tripod if I can help it. I spend a lot of my time in the middle of the woods, going off trail and into places where carrying anything other than my pack and my cam would be tricky and annoying (and shooting things that won't allow the time for tripod set up).

I'm a major-procrastinator. Now I just have to figure out where to buy the 40D. :)
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Don't worry about lack of IS. Photographers did fine without it for 100 years. While I have used lenses with the feature, none in my bag currently have it--and I don't miss it at all 99% of the time. Develop good shooting technique instead of leaning on a technological crutch. deal.gif
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    JLGould wrote:

I've been reading/hearing good things about the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens and seen some good work from it. Looks to run about $550. Opinions?

Other lenses will have to wait, but the husband has suggested I start making a christmas list, lol. What shall I add....

Nature photography is a VERY broad subject. Some people like shooting wide, others like shooting tight, and others like shooting macro. Lets narrow this down before you decide on something.

The 70-300IS is a decent lens. I've owned one, then sold it for a 70-200/4L and 70-200/2.8L. The 70-200/4L is a great alternative, even if it doesnt have IS. The 70-300IS is a slower lens, and is nowhere near as sharp wide open... so you are raelly buying a 70-300/5.6-8IS. Yeah its usable under that but sharp photos are generally come at one stop down. If you are looking for a great wildlife lens with extra reach the bigma may be an option for you. Yeah its huge and its slow but its got 500mm!

Good walk around lens for 300 bucks with IS. Well the only one at that price point that comes to mind is the 28-135IS. Its an upgrade kit lens that comes with the 20D/30Ds... cheap prosumer build and at best average performance. It really hurts at the wide end only being 28mm. I'd venture to say that you would be very happy with something like the Sigma 24-70/2.8. Its aroud 400 bucks but will knock the socks off any IS equipt lens in that price range. To be honest I dont really think IS is all that important at these zoom ranges.

Wish list? A grip, extra battery, extra cf, AND A EF10-22!!!
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    JLGould wrote:
    I'm planning on purchasing the 40D in the next month. While I've had access to SLRs, I don't actually own one myself, so I don't have any lenses.

Hi
    I bought the Canon 40D and the kit lens 17-85 and the two are fantastic I bought the two from Jessops UK £950. Get them right away.
    Cheers
    Bob