Options

How to Avoid Sunspots?

Jenny in SeattleJenny in Seattle Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited September 27, 2007 in Technique
I'm getting large splotchy spots on my photos, as in these pictures below. I ususally cover the camera with my hand when I notice this when looking through the viewfinder, but I don't always notice it.

Any advice to prevent it?

Thanks for any help.
Jenny

200811722-S.jpg

200811449-S.jpg

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    Depending on your camera
    Use a lens shade.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    They are lens flares. it happens when the sunlight directly hits your front element.

Use a lens hood.

If you have a UV or other type of protective filter, make sure it is a thin high quality one with a good anti reflective coating. Even take it off for shots like this
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    jogle wrote:
    They are lens flares. it happens when the sunlight directly hits your front element.

Use a lens hood.

If you have a UV or other type of protective filter, make sure it is a thin high quality one with a good anti reflective coating. Even take it off for shots like this

Thanks, I will look into the lens hood. Problem is I hike with my camera and am worried it won't fit into my camera bag with a lens hood on, and I don't have time while hiking to take them on and off. I wonder what people do? Just buy a bigger camera bag I guess? Do they have a lens hood that retracts so it can be stored? Might be easier for me to use my hand to cover for all of my photos whether I notice the flare in viewfinder or not.

I do have a UV filter, and didn't even think about it being part of the problem. So thanks, I'll check that.
  • Options
    What he said
    (Edited response) Doesn't your lens hood reverse so it'll fit in the case? That shouldn't take but a couple seconds to deploy.
    John :
  • Options
    Icebear wrote:
    If you are using a point-and-shoot, your options are limited. Your idea of putting your hand between your lens and the sun works fine, but sometimes it's easier, and you get a bit more reach and coverage, with a hat, or camera case or something. The photos you used as examples seem to say you are an outdoors person, so it's sometimes awkward to have just the right thing along. Usually if you can't see it through the viewfinder of a p&s, it won't show in te image.

I did get the sunflare with my point and shoot, but these photos are actually from a brand new Canon XTI DSLR. Yes, I am using the camera mostly for outdoors photography while on the run hiking, no time for messing with gear. I'll just have to adjust.

Oh well. I'll try to find a lens hood that will work without being awkward. I'm very new at this, and wasn't even sure what those were for, so now I know.
    Thanks, Jenny
  • Options
    Icebear wrote:
    (Edited response) Doesn't your lens hood reverse so it'll fit in the case? That shouldn't take but a couple seconds to deploy.

Oh really!? Ok, I will look for one like that! That would be perfect! Thanks, I'm just really new at this!
  • Options
    Well actually . . .
    Oh well. I'll try to find a lens hood that will work without being awkward. I'm very new at this, and wasn't even sure what those were for, so now I know.
    Thanks, Jenny

No, what they're really for is to make you look like a burley photographer with a bigass lens. Occasionally they accidentally help your photo.:D
    John :
  • Options
    And anybody who can telemark
    Can figure out how to find a collapsable or reverseable lens hood. Doesn't Canon's hood for your lens mount if you just turn it around?
    John :
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    I think you can actually buy a rubber collapsable hood for some lenses but I would always go with the actual hood when possible. The rubber ones are "one size fits all" and you will pick up the hood edge in the picutres at wide angles. It is worth it to carry the right equipment even when camping in my opinion. Of course, I have been known to drag my tripod on 25 mile backpacking trips so my perspective may be off.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    A lens hood will definately help.. As you previously mentioned.. You can also stop lens flare by using your hand to block the sun. Just position your hand so the shadow of your hand falls over the front of your glass. Instant lens hood!

Also:
    Don't take pictures facing the sun. This is a golden rule of photography deal.gif. Try keeping the sun greater than 45 degrees out of the front of your camera. Rules were made to be broken. But the rules need to be known before you go breaking them.

-Jon
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    First of all - which lens do you use ?

Not every lens hood is designed to be mounted in reverse position.
    If not - consider purchase of rubber collapsible hood,
    generic or sometimes marked one.
    thumb.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    not sure what camera / lens you're using - im in a rush cant read the whole thread but everyday for the last two weeks ive been shooting sunrises and here is what i found:

- the better the lens, the less likely the flare.
    - remove any filters period!
    - lens hood / hand can help
    - wait for cloud cover ( the effects are more dramatic anyway )
    - stop down aperture / underexpose a little ( can produce awesome colors )

- sometimes - it just cant be prevented and thats where Photoshop comes in...

windoze