200820388-L-1.jpg

Diffusion
200820433-L.jpg

* "Towards the Light"
** "After the darkness comes light"

Comments

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    I think that the first one is the best of the bunch as the blur give it more of an eery effect. My question is - does the picture say light, shadow or darkness? headscratch.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    pemmett wrote:
    I think that the first one is the best of the bunch as the blur give it more of an eery effect. My question is - does the picture say light, shadow or darkness? headscratch.gif

I was thinking more "going into the light" but have not found a good way to say that withough including the word "light" in it. headscratch.gif
  • photojen1photojen1 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    Clever thought behind the photo! I thought I liked #4 the best until I understood the meaning behind the photos...I prefer #1.
    richtersl wrote:
    I was thinking more "going into the light" but have not found a good way to say that withough including the word "light" in it. headscratch.gif
    Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.
    --Rachel Carson
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    If you're going to go after the cemetery shots, the first one is the best, but they each look unnatural to me because the lighting is from the opposite side of the light source (sun or moon?).

Diffusion is the better idea, really speaks "Light" to me, but on my screen it looks noisy. I don't want to assume your method in taking the shot, but maybe use a tripod with a very low ISO, then overcompensate on the exposure... Just my idea on that one..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    Furthering Hoofclix's feedback about the light source, I think a stronger shot might be taken with the moon in the background and the light diffusing from behind the headstones. Does that make sense? These are cool shots, but they do seem noisy and a little "off" for me. I think it's the light source.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    My eye keeps going back to #1, I like the whole feel of that one...

Good luck in whichever you choose,

(Was wondering where you were..Lol)
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    I do like #1 the best, however I prefer the headstone detail in #2. #1 does have an eery feel, #2 a little more sinister, so I guess it depends on what your wanting to convey. If I were to go with #1, I would probably burn/darken the 3 headstones to the left slightly, so that the secondary light source was not so obvious and also to get a little of the detail back.

Best of luck!
    Emily

Title thoughts: Crossing Over/Crossed Over
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

Thank you all so much for the feedback.

With a full moon here this week I saw a potential photo opportunity at an old church where a band that I play in rehearses. The cemetery is on the main street in town so I had people walking past me the entire time.

After reviewing the photos I realized that I had light interference from the street lights and buildings behind me which skewed the shadows a bit. 11doh.gif

So...HoofClix and Indiegirl -- you're absolutely right about the shadows. It was most evident in the third photo. I tried a crop on that one which you should be able to view by refreshing your browser.

To me the moon looked so eerie with the long exposure that it made me think of the "coming of the Lord" or the passing into the light upon death. The Latin captions aren't really cutting it so I still have some work ahead of me. rolleyes1.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    I do like #1 the best, however I prefer the headstone detail in #2.

I was going to say the same thing!!! That's my vote! The unbridled light in #2 is a little more distracting, IMO. Awesome concept. clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    My "vote" is the first one.wings.gif
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    Was just thinking if the light of the moon bothers you, you could always try one of Shay's Famous Pano Crops....Laughing.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    Tentacion wrote:
    Was just thinking if the light of the moon bothers you, you could always try one of Shay's Famous Pano Crops....Laughing.gif

Laughing.gif....I've been toying with them, too! rolleyes1.gif
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    I like #2, but I'd like to see more contrast in the stones.
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2007
    I like number 2 as well. Though a little more detail on the stones would be great. On the site that you suggested to me for the vignette there is a Photoshop Action, DDiaz b&w, which seems to work well achieving good contrast and nice blacks. (at least with the little I've played with it) Regardless, as is it's a great photo and fits the theme nicely imo.
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]