LPS #13 Input Please

RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited September 29, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dh is encouraging me to enter LPS #13 for "fun", although it goes completely against my perfectionist side.:D The theme tie-in is simplistic, and I know the photos are not even in the same league as many already entered. (I am very much an amateur!) I don't think I'll have time to venture out in search of other ideas, so at this point the question is--which is the best entry?

Thank you all for being so helpful! :clap

*UPDATE*
I've uploaded examples with the changes suggested. The vignette could be better, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time yet. Thanks again for your help!

1. Nature Remembers (as is-current entry)

200724658-L.jpg

2. (adjusted saturation)
201119970-L.jpg

3. (vignette)
201114925-L.jpg
Beth

Nikon D300
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    I would not blur... I like your current entry, it is simple and apealing and obviously fits the theme perfectly... I don't think the background is a distraction, the background compliments the context of the photo... Your blur treatment looks like it was obviously done in post processing, besides the original already has a DOF blur on the background...

Keep the current entry... Good capture! the title is good to, together they tell a story...

Winston
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    When I first saw this entry my thought was, great capture, but the background is distracting. The foreground and it's color is so soft and lovely, but then the red of the background immediately draws my eye.

Your blur did help, but as Winston said, it's obviously done. So, I would suggest either less blur, removing a touch of the saturation/hue from the background or changing the whole thing to black and white. None of these suggestions may make you happy with the end result, but I do think they are worth trying to see how you feel about them.

Best of luck!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I like Emily's suggestions. I would try less blur and partially desaturate the reds and yellows in the background and see how it looks.

Interesting entry as is. Good luck!

Virginia

Email
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    It's interesting that the background foliage is distracting to others. The headstones on the other hand are a different story! Maybe because I keep trying to remember what was inscribed on those two particular stones, some are really unique. One stone had a long list of the deceased's relatives, with additional information such as "four sons lost at sea". Very interesting.

Anyhow, while there is some natural blurring, I thought more might highlight the shadow and help it pop. But I agree, it does scream PS. I've tried b&w, but it doesn't work well, and it ends up with a somewhat creepy tone instead of the reflective or thoughtful look I think it has in color. I will try to desaturate the background a little, though I really LOVE the colors of Fall iloveyou.gif.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback, keep it coming!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

I love the colors of fall too, If it were my photo, I would only desaturate enough to make the colors a bit less vibrant while keeping the autumn feeling. Sort of quieting the colors to match the contemplative mood. Looking at the two you posted again, I don't think I would add any additional blur.

Virginia

Email
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    It's a lovely photo. But I agree with the others about the blur being too intense. Something else that may work to bring out the tombstone is a vignette that's slightly darker around its sides.

If you have Photoshop, take a look at this page of Photoshop Action downloads: http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm and scroll down to Custom Vignette 2.0 by Galen Evans. They even give you an example on what it can do. I've used this action on numerous occasions and like it very much.
    Please see original post for updated photos.:photo

While my monitor is calibrated, it is still difficult to tell how saturated this might look to others. I embed the sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 color profile in each picture, and while the photos have a consistent look in every browser, the exception is when viewing an original size in Safari. Strangely Safari renders the photo as the other browsers, excpet for the original size, which is how I *think* it looks to those of you not on a Mac. (it is more vibrant)

Regardless , feedback on the changes would be great! thumb.gif
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

The vingette works for me. thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    My eye is drawn to #3, Nice work
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    I agree, the vignette works nicely.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    thumb.gif Good job on the vignette!!!
    edited September 29, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions and feedback! I kind of like the vignetting, too, but I'm not sure if it is my favorite. I thought it looked unnatural so I reapplied and softened, which helped. Overall I'm still not sure if I'm feeling it, or if I prefer the one with little processing. Being a perfectionist is a total liability for things like this, I can find something wrong with anything rolleyes1.gif.

Anyone else want to chime in with feedback?
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D