Total newb question

manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited January 7, 2009 in Cameras
I'm ready to move beyond pocket digital cameras into the SLR world. What equipment, editing software, etc. should I buy? And what is the best way to learn to use it all?
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    hi manbou!

If you could give us a somewhat more detailed description of why you want to take on dslr (better image quality, quicker response, speciallized lenzes?) and what your preffered shooting subjects are (landscapes, portraits, sports, nighttime shooting, nature etc.) and what your budget is ($1.000 dollar? $10.000 dollar? :D) we could help you out somewhat more. rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    OK, here's the deal...
    Fair enough. I have been using a 7.1 megapixel Canon IXY and while it takes nice, sharp photos, I want to be able to get different kinds of effects, like better zoom, a wide-angle effect, high-speed action shots, depth of field (bokeh?) , capturing the effect of different kinds of light, and taking extreme close-ups.

I have played around with the various features on the IXY, like changing the ISO setting, using macro mode, and so forth, but it's just not enough to do what I want. Like, recently, I wanted to take a shot of my friend with the sun setting behind him. But with the IXY, either the sunset got washed out, or my friend got turned into a black sihouette.

My budget is, whatever it takes to learn the basics of using a manual SLR camera with different lenses, flashes, etc. Once I appreciate the issues involved, I can always trade up from there. I'd also like to start using real photo-editing software, too. Right now, I don't really do any editing of my photos.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    book - understanding exposure by bryan peterson
    camera - rebel xti with kit lens ( for now ) " buy wider later"
    lenses - 70-200 f/4 ( non IS ) " great not to expensive lens " + extension tubes from kenko " buy a dedicated macro later "
    software - lightroom or CS3 " you want to go RAW"

tada - thats it!

BTW, this is just an opinion that it not any better or worse that what anyone else will offer - but i guarantee - you can do everything with what i have suggested.

windoze
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    I'll go wiht windoze's suggestions for the most part. You can also look at a used 20D for about the same price--yes, it's now two generations old & is ancient history for DSLRs, but is still a very capable camera with a much nicer interface. Alos on the software front, I'd suggest getting demos of LR, Photoshop CS3, and Photoshop Elements first. CS3 is a $600 investment, so you wnat ot be certain you really need & want that power--for many Elements is enough & the cost savings represents a nice wide angle lens. If you do go with Canon, any of the 70-200 lenses are a no-lose proposition & the f4 version is a screaming deal for what you get.

Getting into the DSLR world things become much more complex as each piece of gear must be chosen & you have many options at each step. Take your time & do research before spending money. There's a lot of good information here already as well as at other good photo forums (fredmiranda, photo.net, luminous landscape to start). For gear reviews, DPreview, photozone.de, & Steve's Digicams are good places to start.
    i agree with windoze !

But also go into the camerastore and try the different brands. Nikon, sony and pentax all have nice camera's and you DO want to feel comfortable with your camera (grip, interface etc.). All camerabrands have nice lenses and most 3rd party manufacturers make their lenses for those brands.

Good luck, its a lot of fun making the switch to DSLR! clap.gif
    edited September 28, 2007
    Thanks everybody!
    Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get started.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    I helped a friend pick out a Nikon D40 a few months back. Coming from the P&S world he fell in love with the familiar menu-driven system instead of the pointer&thumb dials used in higher models. Not that it skimps on features or functions (!) they're just all in a menu driven world. Honestly the first time I used it I found it to be VERY intuitive, something that even someone who knows very little about photography could easily use (child, mom, grandparent, etc.)

[Not to imply you know very little about photography, it's just important to justify some purchases with their ease of use so 'everyone can enjoy']

If you're looking for something familiar (BIG, bright screen with a menu driven setup - probably like you're used to) than I would give it a definite nod. Plus any lenses you play around with are interchangeable with higher grade gear (maybe a D80 or D300 down the road, or D40x to stick with the menu system.)

I think the good starter kit is the D40 B&H pack, with the bag, cleaning stuff, kit lens, and the best people you've EVER had to deal with. If you're looking to REALLY have a good time (novice grade) you'll want to look into a 'lens-baby.' It's a warpable lens (literally) - BEAUTIFUL thing to play with & CHEAP.

As for software you can't go wrong with Lightroom - it's great software (on faster machines) that is VERY simple to use, slide the dials until you find what you like. Lightroom does all your basic (and advanced) color corrections, B&W conversions, cropping, and photo managing - great stuff.

I don't think you'll really need PS at this stage. If you've got money for PS you need to check yourself and GET BETTER GEAR!?!? Photoshop can't even save crappy shots...

There's my 2 cents. Feel free to PM if you have questions about the D40 or several other Nikon models.

BEST OF LUCK!! (And shop @ B&H - great people to deal with.)

EDIT:: Forgot to mention. Megapixels are NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THEY SEEM - esp. in the DSLR world. You may say to yourself in Best Buy or wherever, "Why this P&S has 12MP! *gasp* doesn't it take better pictures than a D40 with only 6MP or 20D with 8MP?" A D40 or 20D takes better pictures than any P&S on the market. PERIOD.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
    edited January 4, 2009
    An update, over a year later... :giggle

Various expenses arose and I put off my entry into the DSLR world for a long while. (That gave me plenty of time to read Understanding Exposure, which I bought right away.)

But the wait paid off as new cameras came out! About a month ago, I decided to go Nikon (after talking to my photographer friend and reading kenrockwell.com and other sites). I got a D700 and a basic 50mm fixed-length lens. More camera than I need right now, perhaps, but I figured I would probably trade up to an FX model eventually, and this way, I won't buy a lot of DX lenses that I won't need later on.

I'm loving it so far and can't wait to do more:

447132489_CiDp7-L.jpg

446897515_izecg-L.jpg

My next step will be to get Lightroom, as I am still not doing any serious post-production on my photos. Then maybe a zoom lens... :D
    edited January 5, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    An update, over a year later... :giggle

Various expenses arose and I put off my entry into the DSLR world for a long while. (That gave me plenty of time to read Understanding Exposure, which I bought right away.)

But the wait paid off as new cameras came out! About a month ago, I decided to go Nikon (after talking to my photographer friend and reading kenrockwell.com and other sites). I got a D700 and a basic 50mm fixed-length lens. More camera than I need right now, perhaps, but I figured I would probably trade up to an FX model eventually, and this way, I won't buy a lot of DX lenses that I won't need later on.

I'm loving it so far and can't wait to do more:

447132489_CiDp7-L.jpg

446897515_izecg-L.jpg

My next step will be to get Lightroom, as I am still not doing any serious post-production on my photos. Then maybe a zoom lens... :D

great stuff! it was a (very) good idea to read understanding exposure first because then you'll know what is keeping you from making the photo the way you like it and changing the settings instead of cursing your camera (on green mode rolleyes1.gif )

have fun and lets see some more shots! thumb.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Great choice in a camera! The D700 and nifty fifty is a great combo!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 5, 2009
    Congratulations Manbou. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Congrats on a great purchase. Have fun learning, I know that i am.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Congrats! I just recommended that book to my Uncle who recently got his first DSLR. He has all these simple questions that once he reads that book he shall be greatly enlightened as you were. Glad to hear you did eventually get a DSLR and saving for Lightroom is the way to go, it's a great program!
  • catvillecatville Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Wow, They are great. However, I never see anything on this forum about taking a photo and then taking it to the next level.

Do you think it has to do with the camera and lens?..or is it mostly done by Photoshop? I guess it must be a combination of all of it but I can't figure it all out.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 6, 2009
    catville wrote:
    Wow, They are great. However, I never see anything on this forum about taking a photo and then taking it to the next level.

Do you think it has to do with the camera and lens?..or is it mostly done by Photoshop? I guess it must be a combination of all of it but I can't figure it all out.

Yes, the best photographs are no accident. (Although some start as coincidental opportunities.)

For some excellent tips and tutorials regarding photographic acquisition and photo processing, check out the Technique forum and the Finishing School forum.

Start here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=110366
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=56682
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22482

Read, practice, experiment and then post your best results (in the appropriate "Shots" forum) so we all learn. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 7, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Yes, the best photographs are no accident. (Although some start as coincidental opportunities.)

For some excellent tips and tutorials regarding photographic acquisition and photo processing, check out the Technique forum and the Finishing School forum.

Start here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=110366
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=56682
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22482

Read, practice, experiment and then post your best results (in the appropriate "Shots" forum) so we all learn. thumb.gif

Thanks! I'll give it a read.
    edited January 7, 2009
    sorry, I meant to say in my original post that I knew there must be some information about this but I had not seen it.

Thanks again for showing it to me.