Canon 40D Raw/Aperture question...

BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited October 4, 2007 in Cameras
Just downloaded half a dozen test shots from my brand new 40D :) and Aperture, even after loading all of Canon's Mac software, still says "unsupported image format"

Aperture 1.5.4, mac says no updates available.

Anyone got raw images working? What'dya have to do?

TIA,

Mark

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 27, 2007
    Apple is really dragging on this update. Apparently you should voice your request and opinion here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

In the mean time, you should be able to use the bundled Canon software to open RAW images and save them to 16 bit TIFFs. Bibble and the latest ACR also have support for Canon 40D RAW files.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    Hello RAW+Large Fine... I'll comment to them when i Have my wits about me, I hate leaving nasty posts. Besides, I have a race to shoot tomorrow.

Well, I don't hate it that much, but I really shouldn't.

Mark
  • drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Belg wrote:
    Hello RAW+Large Fine... I'll comment to them when i Have my wits about me, I hate leaving nasty posts. Besides, I have a race to shoot tomorrow.

Well, I don't hate it that much, but I really shouldn't.

Mark

Hi, Mark

Looks like you're shooting RAW+ Lg. Adobe had the camera raw update posted a week after the 40D came out - but it will not open the small raw files. Are the Large-fine jpg's working OK?

Are you using Canon Digital Photo Pro for the raw files? That is what I used to open my raw files until I got the ACR update. DPP also opens the small raw files.

Good Luck!
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

edited October 1, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Hi, Mark

Looks like you're shooting RAW+ Lg. Adobe had the camera raw update posted a week after the 40D came out - but it will not open the small raw files. Are the Large-fine jpg's working OK?

Are you using Canon Digital Photo Pro for the raw files? That is what I used to open my raw files until I got the ACR update. DPP also opens the small raw files.

Good Luck!

Large/Fine works fine under Aperture. 40D RAW does not(unless they've updated in the last 48 hours). I have not tried 40D sRAW. I generally don't open RAW under Adobe, if I need to do something in CS2, I export it out of Aperture. Right now, that leaves my workflow broken, and I have to either import everything in JPEG, load a couple hundred "unsupported images" into aperture and wait for them to update, or duplicate my work in 2-3 programs to keep my library intact while actually accomplishing something.

If I were looking for an excuse to switch to lightroom, this would be it. I'm not, and I really don't want to expend the additional effort to try. I have to many ingots in the fire already.
    edited October 4, 2007
    After a bit of checking, I at least learned that Apple supports RAW out of the OS....after extensive quality control.

I guess I have a hard time griping about a slow update, if they care enough to do all visual review of the data that they do... to ensure the best possible support natively in the OS....

But here's for hoping the get it ready fast :)