Tattooed Daddy!

ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited September 28, 2007 in People
Here's one I took of one of my best friend's and his son. C/C welcome.

Misc%20085%20copy.jpg?imgmax=512
Shannon :D
Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
www.heatonphotography.net
http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
www.myspace.com/heatonphotography

Comments

• gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    Nice exposure! I think overall it's pretty darn close... I really like the color and the pose. The skin looks just right. A few minor nit-picks... the father's dark hair gets a little lost with the background. Perhaps a hair light would have brought that out and given you more separation. Also, it's kinda cool how they just kind of "disappear" under the blanket at the bottom of the photo, but perhaps that effect would have been stronger if you'd had the father's hand covering up the blanket entirely - as it is, there's a sliver of black between the father's hand and his son that's a wee bit distracting. The father's eyes are a bit lost behind his glasses. There's nice catchlights in the son's eyes... maybe if the father had looked up just a tad more, his eyes would have been more prominent. And it could perhaps use a tighter crop - there's lots of black at the top that seems unnecessary. And maybe clone out the father's finger on the far left. At first glance it looks like the son's sixth finger that likes to stick out at odd angles. Really, these are all minor things, I think overall it's a fantastic shot.

Would you mind sharing with us your setup?
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    I'm taking our advise by cloning out that finger and cropping a bit. Let me know what you think.
    Misc%20085%20copy%20copy.jpg?imgmax=512
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    I definitely like that crop better, and the finger missing. :)

It's a really nice portrait and your colorful friend should love it. Thanks for sharing.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
    edited September 28, 2007
    Thank you so much. I used no lighting eqpt. at all. My setup was a black bed sheet, myslef, my camera, my front porch, and bounce flash. :D
    gregneil wrote:
    I definitely like that crop better, and the finger missing. :)

It's a really nice portrait and your colorful friend should love it. Thanks for sharing.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    Thank you so much. I used no lighting eqpt. at all. My setup was a black bed sheet, myslef, my camera, my front porch, and bounce flash. :D

You're kidding! Wow, I've known some accomplished studio photographers that couldn't couldn't nail that photo as well as you did. Great job.
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    First off, real nice rich colors & ditto to the the last poster who commented on the nice lighting control with limited means!

Second, I apologize in advance if it's considered bad protocol to post my related pic in your thread. But it seemed to fit...

180453563-M.jpg
    A recent informal portrait I shot in window light...
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Really wonderful
    Shannon, the glasses are something you can't clone out like the finger. They are the only detractor in that shot for me. I say that as a glasses wearer. I snap in on glasses like a Patriot Missile, so consider the source. Whenever a camera is pointed at me, I snatch mine off. Whenever I'm pointing my camera at someone wearing glasses, I ask whether they want the shot with or without. If they want "with" I'm very careful the glasses don't hide the eyes, like they did with your guy.

That being said, I'd be proud to own that shot, it's a great one.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    Thanks for the compliments! Your guy is truly interesting as well:D . There's just something about taking pictures of tatooed people that I really love. Maybe it's the fact that you as an artist capture someone elses art. It's just an amazing feeling. Great shot!
    1pocket wrote:
    First off, real nice rich colors & ditto to the the last poster who commented on the nice lighting control with limited means!

Second, I apologize in advance if it's considered bad protocol to post my related pic in your thread. But it seemed to fit...
    I know exactly what you mean about the glasses. He insists on wearing them in pictures....eek7.gif. Anyway, if you know they guy (I grew up with him) it is just his attitude to hide behind those glasses...lol. rolleyes1.gif
    Icebear wrote:
    Shannon, the glasses are something you can't clone out like the finger. They are the only detractor in that shot for me. I say that as a glasses wearer. I snap in on glasses like a Patriot Missile, so consider the source. Whenever a camera is pointed at me, I snatch mine off. Whenever I'm pointing my camera at someone wearing glasses, I ask whether they want the shot with or without. If they want "with" I'm very careful the glasses don't hide the eyes, like they did with your guy.

That being said, I'd be proud to own that shot, it's a great one.