Self Portrait

rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited September 28, 2007 in People
One of my first tries at a self portrait. I've got no lights other than my windows, so that's what I used!
In retrospect, a reflector might have been good on camera right, but... I didn't think of that until now. Next time!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

201099295-M.jpg

Comments

• kisikisi Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    hey :D i think it looks good! i dont mind the shadow on the right too much, it's not very dark, but yea it might look good with the reflector. the focus is spot on and i like the wood color in the background. your expression is a bit mischievious, haha :D what was your setup? did you prefocus?
    Kimberly Salem Photography
    food, portraits and weddings :D
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    kisi wrote:
    hey :D i think it looks good! i dont mind the shadow on the right too much, it's not very dark, but yea it might look good with the reflector. the focus is spot on and i like the wood color in the background. your expression is a bit mischievious, haha :D what was your setup? did you prefocus?
    Thanks! I always seem to end up looking mischievious when I try to smile for a picture. On my first drivers license, people always told me that I looked like I was going to attack the cameraman...

I remember on one of the weekly assignments, Nikolai made people submit a setup photo along with their actual entry. This really opened my eyes as to what you can do without much stuff. So along those lines, here is my setup!

201108174-M.jpg

For this one I was sitting on the floor next to the table, looking up at the camera. I didn't prefocus, as I wasn't really sure how to set up something to focus on. Someone had suggested taking the camera and focusing on the tripod from where you plan on standing, but I didn't think that I would be able to get things accurate enough for that to work. I ended up just using autofocus and took shots in bunches, hoping that one would be on.
    cool! thanks for the tips :D this will have to be my next project so i, too, can have a photo next to my name! yea it looks really good, the only thing i would suggest would be to maybe move the table a little bit so to eliminate the big dark spot on the right side of the photo. oh and maybe raising your eyebrows/relaxing your eyes a bit might mitigate the scheming look mwink.gif or maybe you're just scheming all the time and you can't help it rolleyes1.gif hehe!
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    kisi wrote:
    cool! thanks for the tips :D this will have to be my next project so i, too, can have a photo next to my name! yea it looks really good, the only thing i would suggest would be to maybe move the table a little bit so to eliminate the big dark spot on the right side of the photo. oh and maybe raising your eyebrows/relaxing your eyes a bit might mitigate the scheming look mwink.gif or maybe you're just scheming all the time and you can't help it rolleyes1.gif hehe!
    All good ideas. I'll see what I can do to look less evil next time:D

Thanks!
    edited September 28, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif