Water proof Canon SLRs?

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited October 2, 2007 in Cameras
I know little about the 1 series cameras. But they're starting to interest me because I know eventually i'll graduate to a 1 series camera (unless canon starts a new naming system.)

So I know the Canon 1v, 1ds, 1d series cameras are weathersealed. To what extent? I don't think I could just go swimming around with a 1 series camera.

I could see myself trying to do that with the 1v because Its not 4,000.

Any ideas?
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 27, 2007
    I prefer to think of the Canon pro series cameras as "weather resistant". There are an awful lot of seals and rings on these cameras and they have to be in perfect operating condition to provide a high level of water "shedding". This means a responsibilty from the owner to maintain the cameras.

The seals on the camera can be rendered useless if you don't use weather sealed lenses as well, and many of those "require" a sealed front filter to provide complete sealing.

Still, there is no absolute guarantee that all of these seals will hold up at the exact moment you need them to hold up, so it's still prudent to use as much common sense and prevention as you can to afford the longest life and best performance.

A simple plastic bag to enclose the camera during a downpour still makes sense, as well as in extremely dusty conditions. An umbrella can be all the protection you need for many outdoor activities, so use one if possible and practical.

Do remember that it's "your" responsibility to send the camera in for a checkup as needed, and that will cost some money. It is a cost of ownership on this level of camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    There is no such thing as a "waterproof" SLR (D or not). Too many openings in the case, the biggest being the lens mount. The weather-resistant seals on the higher-end models are just that, they give a little resistance to getting rained on, etc. With the kind of money involved, I personaly wouldn't depend on that either--a weather cover is a cheap investment once you have over $10k of gear in your hands.
  • kisikisi Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    if you're really worried you can always get an underwater housing mwink.gif then you can really go swimming!
    Kimberly Salem Photography
    food, portraits and weddings :D
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    kisi wrote:
    if you're really worried you can always get an underwater housing mwink.gif then you can really go swimming!

True I should just get a 1v and a underwater housing unit.
    There is no such thing as a "waterproof" SLR (D or not). Too many openings in the case, the biggest being the lens mount. The weather-resistant seals on the higher-end models are just that, they give a little resistance to getting rained on, etc. With the kind of money involved, I personaly wouldn't depend on that either--a weather cover is a cheap investment once you have over $10k of gear in your hands.

Might be what I'll just do for now. Buy a camera cover.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2007
    Not Canon - but Olympus has awesome underwater options - DSLRs that truly are underwater - with live view LCD so you can use them underwater.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_underwater.asp
    edited October 1, 2007
    I knew someone would pipe up with a "yeah but." However, those kinds of cases are available for Canon DSLRs as well (Ikelite, Sea&Sea, etc). The cameras themselves are not waterproof.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    I knew someone would pipe up with a "yeah but." However, those kinds of cases are available for Canon DSLRs as well (Ikelite, Sea&Sea, etc). The cameras themselves are not waterproof.

Actually the Nikonos RS 35mm is a true underwater SLR. I've owned Nikonos cameras since their very first rangefinders with o-ring sealed steel body and lenses. The RS is a great camera, but in dive mask can be a bit cumbersome and never really took off; I tried one but never purchased it because their other non-SLR variants were better for me when it came to actual underwater use. Read some about it here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/nikonosrs.htm.

I do not believe it is still in production. The non-SLR Nikonos V remains available at B&H.

However, at this time ... unless Nikon has one in the works ... there are no DIGITAL underwater SLRs.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    edited October 2, 2007
    11doh.gif I knew I was forgetting something! OK, there's the one exception. :D