LPS13 Opinions please...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited September 29, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey guys/gals,

I entered a photo pretty fast when the contest opened and I'm happy with that one, but I was messing around tonight with the Harvest Moon and now I'm not sure which picture to enter. :scratch

So, your opinions of which one, please.

Day's End (the picture I have presently entered)

198599297-L.jpg

The Thin White Line

201264159-L.jpg
Randy

Comments

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    My thoughts: (I Like both)

I'll say I like the first one, wish I could see the campfire, but the lighting on the cowboy gives the illusion of laying by the campfire...and I like it cuz I'm a people person, and it is a different sort of entry...

The reason I wouldn't go for the second entry, although it is very interesting and different, is because there is already another moon shot...but it is cool...

Soooo...I like them both...but for obvious reasons, I am drawn to 1.

I didn't help much, but hopefully gave you something to chaw on...lol
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gif I feel pretty much the same as Donna. The moon is a cool shot, no doubt. But when I look at your cowboy portrait it speaks "light" to me. It's just beautiful. We don't see a lot of portraits per se, and this one is different. I'm a people person, too! :D
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Tentacion wrote:
    My thoughts: (I Like both)

I'll say I like the first one, wish I could see the campfire, but the lighting on the cowboy gives the illusion of laying by the campfire...and I like it cuz I'm a people person, and it is a different sort of entry...

The reason I wouldn't go for the second entry, although it is very interesting and different, is because there is already another moon shot...but it is cool...

Soooo...I like them both...but for obvious reasons, I am drawn to 1.

I didn't help much, but hopefully gave you something to chaw on...lol

Thanks Tentacion,

Those are almost my exact thoughts... but sometimes my thoughts don't seem to be on target, that's why I'm asking, either to get the warm fuzzies that my first entry is likely the best for this contest, or throw the cowboy into the firepit and howl at the moon rolleyes1.gif

BTW, the cowboy picture was shot by a campfire, but the reason I didn't include it in the picture is that it's a modern, metal "stand" fire pit if you will. It would have certainly killed the authenticity I was after with this shot. I could have certainly shot a real firepit, then PS it in, but I'm kind of on the thinking at this time that I'd like to see how my work holds up without much post work. Not right or wrong, that's just the way I'm going about it right now.

Thanks again.
    Randy
    saurora wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif I feel pretty much the same as Donna. The moon is a cool shot, no doubt. But when I look at your cowboy portrait it speaks "light" to me. It's just beautiful. We don't see a lot of portraits per se, and this one is different. I'm a people person, too! :D

Thanks Saurora,

I appreciate the feedback. As I just replied to Donna, I like the cowboy better myself, but just wasn't sure if the "off the beaten path" of a portrait was the way to go here.

Looks like maybe I'll just let the cowboy go for it thumb.gif
    Randy
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    Love the cowboy picture. Cool name for the moon picture though, I'd be tempted to use that picture if it were mine (and I had been smart enough to think up the titlerolleyes1.gif) just for the title. Would that be a victory of concept over technique?rolleyes1.gifYour current entry is a contender and it has a good title too. I'd stick with it.

Virginia

Email
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    They are both very cool shots, but the cowboy image has much more emotion in it. I believe it was shot in the setting sun or artificial light as opposed to campfire (yes, no?), but it does have a campfire feel, especially as the subjecct itself conjures up that assumption. A tin coffee cup next to him would have been a nice touch.

Best of luck!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    deal.gif The cowboy.
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Love the cowboy picture. Cool name for the moon picture though, I'd be tempted to use that picture if it were mine (and I had been smart enough to think up the titlerolleyes1.gif) just for the title. Would that be a victory of concept over technique?rolleyes1.gifYour current entry is a contender and it has a good title too. I'd stick with it. Virginia

Thanks Virginia,

Yeah, that's what got me questioning my entry. The moon shot & name seemed spot on for this contest, but I still like(d) the cowboy shot. Just wanted to see if I was in left field on that thinking.
    Randy
    They are both very cool shots, but the cowboy image has much more emotion in it. I believe it was shot in the setting sun or artificial light as opposed to campfire (yes, no?), but it does have a campfire feel, especially as the subjecct itself conjures up that assumption. A tin coffee cup next to him would have been a nice touch.

Best of luck!
    Emily

Thank you Emily,

I gave more specifics in my reply to Donna above, but yes, the cowboy was shot by a campfire.
    RW wrote:
    BTW, the cowboy picture was shot by a campfire, but the reason I didn't include it in the picture is that it's a modern, metal "stand" fire pit if you will. It would have certainly killed the authenticity I was after with this shot. I could have certainly shot a real firepit, then PS it in, but I'm kind of on the thinking at this time that I'd like to see how my work holds up without much post work. Not right or wrong, that's just the way I'm going about it right now.

I appreciate your input and time.
    Randy
    richtersl wrote:
    deal.gif The cowboy.

Thanks Linda,

Side note: All responders so far have been the gals... (and a big THANK YOU)

I hope all of the judges this round are shejudges rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Come On' cowboy...keep them dogy's movin' rawhide...
    Randy
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    rollin', rollin', rollin'.....

Original entry looked great, so stick with your original intuition...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited September 29, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    rollin', rollin', rollin'.....

Original entry looked great, so stick with your original intuition...

Thanks Mark,

I'm going to stick with my first concept (the cowboy).

I think I was temporarily moon struck ne_nau.gif
    Randy