Options

Troubleshooting Lightroom

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited October 8, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm having a constant task running in Lightroom 1.2:

"checking locations of folders and photos" up in the top right, where the Identity Plate would be. The thermometer is usually at full and this state persists either with LR open to it's catalog only (with the masters offline) or with the drive containing the masters attached.

I don't expect anybody to know exactly how to fix this specific problem (Adobe's online knowledgebase didn't help) but are there some basic troubleshooting measures vis-à-vis the library before I go diving into a catalog optimize or beyond?

EDIT********

I had one missing "s" in my Google search and correcting it brought up two mentions of it. Stay tuned.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 29, 2007
    it look like it has something to do with when you unmount a drive with LR still open, something that shouldn't cause strife, yet does.

Moral: quit LR before unmounting your masters drives
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2007
    Pindy wrote:
    it look like it has something to do with when you unmount a drive with LR still open, something that shouldn't cause strife, yet does.

Moral: quit LR before unmounting your masters drives

Seems like a sound idea. I suspect LR is always looking for the documents, certainly when you have the Auto write XMP preference on.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    This message pops up when you moved originals from the spot where they were when you imported them.
    All you have to do is point one of the photo's in that catalogue to the folder they are now, and it will adapt all the pics in that folder automatically.
    It is a great feature! I love it...
    I usually save my pics on an external, and swop between laptop and desktop, and it is just so easy to work with.
    It is resetting the path to the original... hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    I clicked 3 times on the progress bar and it, oddly, completed, as though it had fallen asleep on the job.

In other news, I started keywording like an obsessed mental patient last night and found that after an hour Lightroom (1.2, Mac , 10.4.10) refused to write any new keywords I entered into the keywording field. They did not show up in the Keyword Tags thing on the left. 30 minutes wasted! I have restarted and still have this trouble. Would an optimise help? Prefs trash? I'm not yet sure what's safe to do and what's devastating in LR.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    Oh Man, I think I figured out what's going on, and it's a bad behaviour, IMO. I'm using the Recent Keywords set and keywords register nicely when you click those buttons. Keywords register also when you type the keywords and press Enter. The keywords fail when you type something, type a comma, then click a preset from the set. You have to conciously press enter to lock these in, which just sucks. I'm using Eric Scouten's great tip that posted to yesterday's LR News blog, but it's klunky if LR loses keywords because you don't play by the rules.

Sigh...
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    Even worse, if you type a keyword then click a keyword set button, it blows away the keyword(s) you just typed. You actually have to make yourself enter after typing and before clicking the buttons. Eeeuch.

On the upside, I think the keywording in this app is otherwise fantastic and useful beyond what I imagined was possible.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    The "spray painting" of keywords rocks!

My problem at the moment is that the rename command does not work at all times. I have done a search and found that it is a recurring bug (http://forum.adobe.com/webx/.3bc48940/15#message.3bc48940). However I will strongly caution you, do not rename the files outside of Lightroom unless you want to entirely reimport them. I used Bridge and then it "lost the link" to all the files.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I've run into the rename bug a few times too. One thing I'd ask is, are you using a custom naming template? You might try modifying it. One I built did run into issues. It get to a document in a group I tried to rename, take a dump and pop an error about not being able to rename. It would stop dead in its tracks. I think this had something to do with trailing numbers (e.g. 001 instead of 0001). Not enough characters. I modified my template, the error stopped. Worth a try.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    I've run into the rename bug a few times too. One thing I'd ask is, are you using a custom naming template? You might try modifying it. One I built did run into issues. It get to a document in a group I tried to rename, take a dump and pop an error about not being able to rename. It would stop dead in its tracks. I think this had something to do with trailing numbers (e.g. 001 instead of 0001). Not enough characters. I modified my template, the error stopped. Worth a try.

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately, no good.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact