Options

Critique Wanted

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited March 2, 2005 in Landscapes
I've been busy shooting lately & I've been playing with composition a lot. Here is a recent image from the Castro District of San Francisco. It's part of my "Window Shopping" series.

What do you think of the composition? Follows the rules of 1/3, but its missing part of the hat. Does this bother you, or does it work?

I've received several different responses with friends & family so I thought I'd throw it out here for discussion.

16765541-L.jpg

Thanks in advance. There are no right & wrong answers. I just want to get a feel for current photo tastes.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Dave I think I would have liked the whole flower in the frame. It seems to be an important part of the picture to me. Just my 2 cents.. Would love to see more from the series and yoru recent shoots..
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Dave I think I would have liked the whole flower in the frame. It seems to be an important part of the picture to me. Just my 2 cents.. Would love to see more from the series and yoru recent shoots..

Thanks for your comments Eric. I have one more question for you. What do you consider the main focus point of the image?

Here are two of my recent shots from "Window Shopping"

Strike A Pose
    Cold Eyes | Warm Day

Both were taken Downtown SFO, Union Square.

Thanks again for your help here.

Dave
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 2, 2005
    Dave:

I like this very much. I wouldn't worry too much about cropping bits out. If you study the work of Gene Moore you'd know the effect of limited visuals in window display.

Gene was the display artist and then creative director for Tiffany & Co for more than 35 years. His work is legendary. He is reknowned for his conceptualization, composition, lighting and installations. He rarely showed everything in his compositions, preferring to highlight only a fraction of a piece of jewelry or silverware with the use of intense, narrow pin spots. His work has been compared to fine art.

I believe it is appropriate to emulate this style in this genre. thumb.gif
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Dave I have to tell you the two pictures in the link blow this one away.. The colors, the composition way cool! This one looks like a very ordinary maniquin compared to the others so I keep looking at the hat tho thats probably not what you were thinking?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    by itself, it's not obvious that it's a "window" shot imo.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    The only comment I have is actually a question...

Did waxy give you his hat or did you steal it from him? eek7.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    by itself, it's not obvious that it's a "window" shot imo.
    reflections clue you in, big boy? rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Dave I have to tell you the two pictures in the link blow this one away.. The colors, the composition way cool! This one looks like a very ordinary maniquin compared to the others so I keep looking at the hat tho thats probably not what you were thinking?
    Dave I have to agree. Especially the "ghosted" one. Very good captures.

I do however want to point out, window display is no less an art than our photgraphy and rightfully the property of the designer. Might I suggest you honor their rights by finding out a name and crediting them for their work?
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    fish wrote:

that's not the point, fish-guts :D

i like the shot. i'd like to see a bit more of the window i guess, or more of the scene. so that's my only critique dave - fwiw...
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Dave I have to agree. Especially the "ghosted" one. Very good captures.

I do however want to point out, window display is no less an art than our photgraphy and rightfully the property of the designer. Might I suggest you honor their rights by finding out a name and crediting them for their work?

Thats a good point. I've heard this topic go either way. Some say it is right to the "brand name" represented, others say its not.

Does anyone know the right answer to this?

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    fish wrote:
    The only comment I have is actually a question...

Did waxy give you his hat or did you steal it from him? eek7.gif

He just told me where he shops & I went to the source. He has his hat under lock & key, no chance of borrowing or stealing it :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    fish wrote:

are you hitting on me? eek7.gif :ymca
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that's not the point, fish-guts :D

i like the shot. i'd like to see a bit more of the window i guess, or more of the scene. so that's my only critique dave - fwiw...

Good point. I went for the tight crop because any reflection of the street were distracting & honestly boring.

This is mainly an exercise to see if I'm doing my job to relay the focus to the viewer. Not my best image, but a good example of what can be done better.

Your input is always appreciated.

Dave
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    I would like to see less of it. The window, mannequin, hat, whatever, so that your artistic stamp is more obvious. And the light behind the curtain bothers me. Plus the curtain not being straight bothers me.

I am sorry, I am not usually this critical. It is just that I can see so much "more" or "less", in this idea, whichever the case may be.

Andy, of course, knows best. Throw him a rib.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    clap.gif The other ones are so superior. The question is, is it the window dresser, or the photographer. I think in the second one it could be the person who did the window. But in the third one, it is obviously the photographer with the decision to use those reflections in the design.

clap.gifclap.gif

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I would like to see less of it. The window, mannequin, hat, whatever, so that your artistic stamp is more obvious. And the light behind the curtain bothers me. Plus the curtain not being straight bothers me.

I am sorry, I am not usually this critical. It is just that I can see so much "more" or "less", in this idea, whichever the case may be.

Andy, of course, knows best. Throw him a rib.

ginger

Thanks for the response ginger. Your not the only one who feels this way regarding the light & curtain/wall. A final image would have the light cloned & curtain extended to the right of the frame eliminating the brown wall.

I'm just trying to see if I'm doing a good job. I think its obvious that I didn't get the viewer engaged in the photo as I had planned.

I think the shot has come off as "here's a mannequin w/ a colorful hat" vs. Here is a shop that is using a male figured mannequin to display a woman's hat & apparel. A trendy store thinking outside the box to draw attention to their product.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It's been a tremendous help to me.

Some of you were probably wondering where I was going with this besides "do you like it or not" type discussion.

With the upcoming trip to Yosemite, I've been taking a hard look at my skills as a photographer to relay a message to my audience and holding their attention. I've found that I can be doing a much better job than I currently am.

This image is not strong by any measure, but is a great learning tool for anyone. I didn't relay the message to 3/4 of my audience, and was not able to hold their attention long enough for them to really explore what I saw at the window. I could have included more in the shot, maybe used a different angle. Maybe add some of my own style to help relay "their" style, instead of relying only on what was seen as you walked up to the window.

While most people saw a colorful hat, I wanted to show a shop that is using a male figured mannequin to display a woman's hat & apparel. A trendy store thinking outside the box to draw attention to their product. Something that was easy for me to see since I was there & saw the everything in person.

Right now my photography is hit & miss. I feel I'm close to making a breakthrough, but I'm still holding myself back.

Again, thanks for the help.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Here is a shop that is using a male figured mannequin to display a woman's hat & apparel. A trendy store thinking outside the box to draw attention to their product.

Dave
    In San Francisco????? Outside the box or out of the closet? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    In San Francisco????? Outside the box or out of the closet? rolleyes1.gif

In this case, both. It was taken in the Castro. I spent a few hours walking around there yesterday. Very cool area.

I just did some quick work w/ the clone tool. Not sure if it helps at all.

16799206-L.jpg

Dave