Garage Shots Attempt

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited October 1, 2007 in People
I liked Mitchell's garage shots so much, I dragged my daughter out there and tried it myself!

A couple of things to note. The back of my garage is white cabinets - making a gray background, not the most pleasent. I noticed Mitchell has wood or dark backgrounds - I may have to invest in a backdrop.

I processed these with my limited PS skills and dont really understand why the skin tones are so different, other than perhaps differances in the reflectance. We did these in two sittings. Took a few, ran inside looked at them, then went back out.

Thanks for the ideas - I am trying to use them to improve:

C&C appreciated.

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2007
    Using the anti red skin tutorial by Andy/Baldy:
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    I think you've done a super job. I suspect the difference is skin tones is that you have different exposures: the darker one is somewhat underexposed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    I like what you are doing here with these shots! I like the tight crops and the beautiful, willing subject.

A few suggestions:
    1. It looks like your WB is all over the place. Are you using auto WB? You may want to set your WB manually in camera or keep a standard setting for your set in ACR if you are shooting RAW. If you are not shooting RAW, this is a good time to give it a go.

2. I agree that the first shot is slightly underexposed. Part of the beauty of these shots is the almost ethereal glow the skin gets with the large softbox effect of the garage door. Don't fight it. Just accept that you will have this effect on the skin. You may lose some skin texture, but that's garage lighting!

3. I think your white backdrop can work. Try having the subject in a solid, dark colored shirt. If you want a dark backdrop, an inexpensive black sheet hung up in front of your cabinets will work. Remember that your subject is so far away from the backdrop that nobody will notice. No need to speed big bucks on a backdrop stand and muslins for this. I do have wood cabinets (good eye).

4 The most important thing is keep shooting. I'm always using a tripod now after my failures at handholding. You can also experiment with a reflector on the floor. I think this helps to hold onto some skin texture.

Keep posting your shots! I love garage lighting.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    These are great!!! I wish I had a garage to give this a try =(
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    You guys that have clean garages... that's just not right eek7.gif

Z, man your showing up in all the sections thumb.gif

Beautiful daughter and a good job on the portraits.

Uh huh, they nailed you on the WB. Looks like another ExpoDisk customer rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, good work.
    Randy
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Color temperature
    Color temperature will vary wildly in a shaded environment like the garage as the sun is covered and uncovered by clouds, and cars drive by, flooding the "softbox" with reflected light. I just got my ExpoDisk the other day and was absolutely thrilled with what it's done for my skin tones already. Get one. www.expodisc.com. If you get the color right in the camera, you don't have to waste time with it in pp.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Color temperature will vary wildly in a shaded environment like the garage as the sun is covered and uncovered by clouds, and cars drive by, flooding the "softbox" with reflected light. I just got my ExpoDisk the other day and was absolutely thrilled with what it's done for my skin tones already. Get one. www.expodisc.com. If you get the color right in the camera, you don't have to waste time with it in pp.

The expodisc can indeed be a helpful tool. The problem is just what you have described. If the color temp varies "wildly", you will have to take your expodisc reading constantly to adjust your WB. This just is not practical. Environmental portraits can be a struggle if the environment is changing rapidly. Your best bet may be to include a white balance card in some shots so you can adjust accordingly later.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    These are absolutely gorgeous! I love the placement of the catchlights in this series, brightens the eyes but doesn't overpower them. Your daughter comes across very warm and friendly in these photos. I am very much wishing I had a garage now!!! :cry
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Thanks all!

Randy: I see you are a multi venue shooter as well!

Z