Options

Playing with my new toy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsBournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
edited October 7, 2007 in Technique
As the title say I have been out with my new Canon 400D, my first Digital SLR (well SLR full stop).

Below are links to 3 pictures I took today, all I have done is crop from the originals, the pictures were taken using full auto on the camera, (I was getting the feeling for the camera and where the button are etc.). The sun was immediately in front of me but mostly hidden by hazy cloud.

So apart from changing to manual, what should I have done, what can I do to bring the picture to life, they look a little flat\bland.

I have either Photoshop elements, Gimp (on Linux) or an old version of PSP to play with any suggestions welcome?

www.windfreaks.co.uk/test1.png
www.windfreaks.co.uk/test2.png
www.windfreaks.co.uk/test3.png

Tim

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2007
    Unfortunately I have to agree that they're a little on the bland side. There's almost no contrast AT ALL in the pictures. I can't even tell what color the water is - it's the same shade of gray the sky shows up as. If you shot in RAW you can DEFINITELY do some work in photoshop, messing with the colors, upping the exposure a little, and perhaps a little more cropping - it's just a personal thing, but I prefer it when the subject is off to a side of the composition, not just dead in the middle.

There's my 2cent. CONGRATS ON THE NEW GEAR!!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Spot on
    Whaddayu talkin' about? That IS the color of the water and sky. He lives in the UK!!!rolleyes1.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    Icebear wrote:
    Whaddayu talkin' about? That IS the color of the water and sky. He lives in the UK!!!rolleyes1.gif

True, that was the colour of the sea and the sky today rolleyes1.gif

Tim
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    I'd just consider these a learning experience and move on, if I were you. But
    you did ask whether something could be done about them. Well, not much, but
    you can squeeze just a bit of color out of them. Increasing the contrast
    and sharpening a bit also helps.

BEFORE:

p378743564-4.jpg

AFTER:

p194264448-4.jpg

The sky can be modified a bit, too, but it doesn't help much:

p42552694-4.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Thanks Prytek, that what I was looking for (no disrespect to the other guys), I knew the picture was bland but just wanted to know what was possible.

This taking pictures is a double edge sword, not only having to learn how to operate the camera but I also having to learn how to tweak the pictures on the computers (the computer bits are not the problem, its learning the program).

Thanks

Tim
  • Options
    rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    draggin wrote:

This taking pictures is a double edge sword, not only having to learn how to operate the camera but I also having to learn how to tweak the pictures on the computers (the computer bits are not the problem, its learning the program).

Tim
    Hi Tim,

If you haven't already, take a look at the "Tutorials" link at the top of the page. There is lots of good info to be found there!
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    I got my 400D for Chraistmas and I have ben shooting with it for a while. One thing is, stop using full auto :) Personally, I hate full auto. You have no real control of anything (kind of blatantly obvious, I know).

Considering you're shooting a fast paced situation, try working with Shutter priority and pick a fast shutter speed to capture the action. Your pics looked a LITTLE blurry, although it could have been a color issue, I'm not good enough to tell yet. But I just thought I saw some motion blur, and without exif data there's no way to really tell.

You could try playing with the ISO settings (top button on the quaters thing next to the screen labelled "ISO" :) ). Playing with those will alter how much light gets to your sensor as well, and gives you another control while the aperture is pre selected.

If you want contrast, make sure the sun is behind you when shooting. Granted, you're probably not driving the boat AND photographing obviously, but if you could turn the boat so the sun is behind you it will definitely bring more pop to the colors and contrast (be careful not to underexpose shadows and over expose highlights, which comes with practice).

Although with an overcast day like that, it wouldn't really matter, since the water will reflect light and it will pretty much be even light everywhere.

Other than that, just keep practicing.

Another thing you could do, which is kind of trivial, is to hit the "ok" button which will bring up a color selection. You'll have to look it up in the manual to see what each does, but you should see a list with things like "Landscape, portrait, nuetral, standard, monotone" etc. These will effect the colors in subtle ways that could help with your photos. I don't really mess with them much, but they can make a big difference when you need it.

Also, make sure you check your white balance settings. If you're shooting in RAW it won't really matter, but if you're shooting in JPEG, it can make a flat photo into a poppy photo, all because the white balance is set proparly.

Hope that helped.

PS. Please ignore my ridiculous splling errors, I'm in a hurry :)
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    JMPJMP Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    hello guys
    I am still learning and i know all we need is not only love but practice, practice and more practice.
    i have little suggestion, that im not sure if im right but you
    could use a Polarizer filter, its gonna affect the exposure a bit, but youll have
    to compensate it, and its going to help you getting detail both in the sky and water,
    also the undefined position of the horizon line its a little uncomfortable to me.
    anyways it was a nice try, keep them coming, please!
    congrats on your new Camera, im still saving... :D

Cheers
    Canon 40D