Options

Fireworks?

PhilHPhilH Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited October 7, 2007 in Technique
It'll soon be November 5th (traditionally, bonfire night, here in the UK) and I am in need of help re settings.
We have a large display going on locally and am hopeing to get some pics.
All help is much appreciated.

TIA

Phil

Comments

• Options
    RiverlanderRiverlander Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Bulb. Bulb is the way to go. Use a midrange f stop - 8, 11, 13 - something like that - depends a bit on how far you are away and how long you leave the shutter open. Manual focus -- probably on infinity.
    Get the camera set up on a tripod, point in the general direction of the fire works -- open the shutter for 2 or 3 burst of fireworks (NO MORE) and close the shutter.
    I admit it takes a while to learn, but once conquered you get the MOST fabulous shots.
    Graham
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Remember, remember the 5th of November
    Gunpowder, treason, the plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot.

While I know the movie was a poor adaptation of the Novel, I am still intrigued by this holiday after watchnig the movie, and looking forward to your pictures.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    .....looking forward to your pictures.
    Laughing.gif, so am I, fingers crossed.

Thanks both for the advice thumb.gif
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Here's some from last Guy Fawkes in NZ.... http://ogle.smugmug.com/gallery/2095777#108144109

Most of mine were around 8 seconds. fairly small apeture, it was a manual lens but I recall f11 to f16 or so. I was fairly drunk so my memory is more then likely wrong. :)

just have fun and mess with your settings the whole time, one bloom looks the same as any other so having a range of apetures, exposures and iso's will be more useful when you are looking through them later.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    PhilH wrote:
    It'll soon be November 5th (traditionally, bonfire night, here in the UK) and I am in need of help re settings.
    We have a large display going on locally and am hopeing to get some pics.
    All help is much appreciated.

TIA

Phil
    One of my favorite nights in Germany is Hexennaught (SP?), witches night, when they build bonfires on all the highest hilltops to chase away the evil spirits in the country. It is the night before May Day, and an awesome sight to see. Can't wait to see your captures.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    jogle wrote:
    Here's some from last Guy Fawkes in NZ.... http://ogle.smugmug.com/gallery/2095777#108144109

Most of mine were around 8 seconds. fairly small apeture, it was a manual lens but I recall f11 to f16 or so. I was fairly drunk so my memory is more then likely wrong. :)

just have fun and mess with your settings the whole time, one bloom looks the same as any other so having a range of apetures, exposures and iso's will be more useful when you are looking through them later.
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2007
    Manual focus -- probably on infinity.
    Hope this isn't a silly question but....

How do you set the focus to infinity? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    There should be an infinity marker on your lens when you manually focus it. Set it to that, then back it off about a milimeter.
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I use a black card. I set the camera up like the folks have already noted for long exposure on my tripod, cover the lens opening with a black card, watch for the firework to reach its zenith, pull the black card away, then put it back over the lens when I have enough of the trails in the exposure.

You can make a black card out of cardboard and a black marker. Its especially useful if you don't have a remote shutter release.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com