Options

Anyone use DxO for more than optics correction?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited October 15, 2007 in Finishing School
Hey, I bought DxO Optics Pro Elite because I've heard good things about the optics correction, and a few good things about noise reduction. Now that they have more image enhancement options I thought I'd give it a whirl but I just can't seem to get it running on either my Mac or Apple laptop, not even the Photoshop plugin. Nor can I get a response from them.

Maybe I'm a dope but before I sink any more hours into this I figured I'd ask if it's worth it.

I have Intel-based Macs and the app bounces on the doc a couple of times when I fire it up and then dies before any windows appear. The plugin install fails with the dialog box, "No app found."

Comments

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2007
    What happens if you run the main app from the command line?
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    DxO provides excellent results. I like it a lot. I just can't get past the workflow, and usually rely on Lightroom for it's ease of use.

Lynnesite is a DxO Master, or whatever the title is. She's listed on their site as a pro that uses their software. She could be a good resource.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    Often I prefer the color in DxO conversions over ACR/Lightroom, but I much prefer the Lightroom workflow. If I have an important shot where the color feels off in Lightroom, I go to DxO.
  • Options
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Often I prefer the color in DxO conversions over ACR/Lightroom, but I much prefer the Lightroom workflow. If I have an important shot where the color feels off in Lightroom, I go to DxO.

And the sharpness/lens correction is unbeatable, IMO. But yeah, workflow rules...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 1, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    What happens if you run the main app from the command line?
    Same. One bounce of the app on the doc.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

Huh, I was half expecting some kind of usefull error message at least. Sloppy apps like that really annoy me.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    And the sharpness/lens correction is unbeatable, IMO. But yeah, workflow rules...

Indeed. It straightens out the kinks in the 24-105 very nicely. I should really use it more often. I am hoping that when Adobe adds plugin support to Lightroom, they DxO will create a plugin from their opitics modules.

As for your problems, Baldy, I am afraid I am a PC user these days and have never installed it on a Mac. For me the install went smoothly and I haven't had trouble with it.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

Have you tried it from a different user account?

Have you reinstalled the app?

This happens with all kinds of apps. Happened with FF on my daughter's computer. We downloaded the latest, reinstalled and all was fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

Baldy, use this page to report your problem. I've had pretty good luck with getting a responce from them with it. Usually less than 12 hours.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/support/formulaires/pb_using

I use the Lightroom / DxO Optics Pro plugin to edit those photos that need it. I use Scenario 1:

(From Dxo's support page)
    Scenario 1: You process your images first in DxO Optics Pro and then import the processed images into Lightroom for further processing. This scenario is great for when you need to use the DNG file format for processing in Lightroom and Photoshop. Another good reason for using this scenario is if you intend to batch correct large numbers of images with DxO Optics Pro. This is especially true if you have mixed RAW and JPEG files together. This is primarily due to the allowable file formats permitted by Adobe Lightroom to pass between itself and an external editor. If you have a limited amount of time to post-process, Scenario 1 is for you.
    Scenario 2: Images are sent to DxO Optics Pro from Adobe Lightroom, and then returned to Adobe Lightroom after DxO Optics Pro processing is completed. Scenario 2 is best suited for individual image processing or the processing of small batches of images where you need more control over the finished product. In this scenario, you have the opportunity to give your images greater attention to detail, specifically targeting particular problems or effects to meet your needs.
    IMPORTANT: Make sure you read “Working with DxO Optics Pro and Adobe Lightroom.pdf” before starting working with both software.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    whoops, I can't read, I guess.

The launch problem is probably one of two things, a bad prefs (plist) file or the update checker. You can run the update from their website and reinstall.
  • Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Indeed. It straightens out the kinks in the 24-105 very nicely. I should really use it more often. I am hoping that when Adobe adds plugin support to Lightroom, they DxO will create a plugin from their opitics modules.

As for your problems, Baldy, I am afraid I am a PC user these days and have never installed it on a Mac. For me the install went smoothly and I haven't had trouble with it.

In LR you can configure LR to export a file to DxO the same way it sends files to Photoshop or Elements. It is cookbook easy, there is even a tutorial on the DxO website.

I first heard of this product last weekend and anything that can make my 10-20mm Sigma lens look "normal" is worth it.
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    lynnesite wrote:

No such beast (a plug-in for LR).

You can save out a DNG which isn't the same as sending it a Raw (the DNG is a linear demosiced version). But for that matter, you can send it a rendered Tiff (same difference more or less).

What I want to see IS a DxO module inside of LR so I can use it along with Lightroom's rendering of the Raw data. That's not yet possible. We're all still waiting on a LR SDK from Adobe.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    What I want to see IS a DxO module inside of LR so I can use it along with Lightroom's rendering of the Raw data. That's not yet possible. We're all still waiting on a LR SDK from Adobe.

I would love to be able to use DxO modules in Lightroom's framework. While there are many things to like about the DxO image processing, the workflow isn't nearly as nice as Lightroom.

I will be interested to see what the new DxO V5 raw conversions look like. If they are as good as DxO claims, I may start using DxO to convert my CR2s to Linear DNG before I import into Lightroom. My hard drive will hate me though...
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I'm experiencing the same problem as Baldy, also running on a Intel Mac, app won't launch.

Any resolution on this?

Charlie