16795881-L.jpg

16795863-L.jpg
the rest can be found at

Thanks For Looking

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Great Shots! I was reading through your EXIF's, what lens are you using? I wonder if you could shoot at ISO 800 and increase your shutter speed? Dont know if that would eliminate some of the motion blur, but overall great shots!

This is my favorite of the bunch 15582624-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Well, you want some blur, to convey a sense of motion. The trick is to get the blur, and yet also have some part of the moving subject be sharp. There's a nice thread about it from last week.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 2, 2005
    Lookin Good!!!
    Overall, these are very good thumb.gifthumb.gif

Obviously tough lighting, but I like what you ended up with. I agree with BridgeCity and Sid. IMO, some of the shots that have some motion blur, also have a portion that is in sharp focus. These look very nice. A few of them (I think the 2nd and 3rd ones) would look better if they had captured some part of the bike/rider sharply too. So maybe cranking up the ISO and shutter speed might help some. Again, just my opinion.

Anyhow, these are very nice shots given the conditions. WTG!! clap.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Hey Guys, Thanks for looking and for your opinions.

The lighting at this place is quite bad. Great for watching but not for pics.

I'm using a 20D with the on board flash, and I had the ISO maxed out. The lens that I used for these was a Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 and I tried to use the quickest shutter speeds that i could,but they still came out dark. Perhaps if I shot them in Raw and adjusted them they would look better.

(I am now able to do that since my meltdown. Switched from Windows ME to XP Professional)

Anyway I spoke with the owner of the track and he said that if I wanted to go out on the track during the races on Saturday Nights he would allow it. He just wants a release signed and wants me to guarantee him that I'm fleet a foot.

It Should Be Interesting............
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Some very cool shots...
    What I *really* like in these is the mood conveyed. That pitch black open space behind the riders give these a very cool *feel*. Almost looks like they are riding on the moon.

I think you have a pretty fantastic opportunity by working with the track owner, I'd definately followup on that. Real exciting and fun sport to shoot.

I'd also start saving my pennies for a lens upgrade, get a nice fast 70-200 f/2.8 Sigma\Canon, and maybe a good flash unit like a 550EX, or Sigma DG500 Super. You'd be good to go...

Thanks for posting these.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    Great Shots! I was reading through your EXIF's, what lens are you using? I wonder if you could shoot at ISO 800 and increase your shutter speed? Dont know if that would eliminate some of the motion blur, but overall great shots!

This is my favorite of the bunch 15582624-L.jpg
    Great Photo's! thumb.gif
    I bet it was hard to keep these guys in the frame.
    Keep up the good work.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com