Unofficial LPS 13 Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    72 Let It Play You! Stuffjunkie
    Crafty! It’s obviously not all “in-camera,” but I can’t see the seams, and it’s message is there.
    Thank you! I couldn't seem to capture what I was imagining in camera. So, yes it was two shots with the same lighting and a bit of PP. I wish I'd had more time...
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Thanks to all that liked my photo and included me in your top 10, It is much appreciated.

This was a GREAT round with lots of wonderful compositions, Congrats to EVERYONE!!

Sorry didn't get a chance to participate, but I just got back....

My Composition was also all in Camera with some contrast and crop...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    #14 Strikeslip - Just Another Rock In Space
    I really enjoy the smooth transition between light and dark on the surface of the moon, but the detail is what makes me grin. Wonderful photo, I want your lenses.

#16 quark - In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    Very good use of ... whatever you used. I imagine there is a flashlight somewhere, or perhaps this is a few exposures combined, but it's a really neat effect.

#23 tsk1979 - Vibgyor

How you managed to conjure such a perfect moment I will never know. Can I borrow your magic sometime?

#30 photogmomma - no running in the street
    The photo could have one of many titles, but the one you choose tells me something very specific and really gives the image life. Great choice of words.

#33 ulrikft - dawn at the shoreline
    I thought for sure your photo would rank above mine, you seem to have a better grasp of hdr than I. Perhaps the location of mine made it stronger, but I really like yours.

#37 sherstone - 120
    The utter simplicity of this really made me think. How could I capture something so simple, and yet be inline with the topic? I couldn't answer that, so I thought of something else heh heh. Thanks for pushing me a little bit.

#46 Leonardo - darkness for the cure
    Why your photo was not chosen I have no idea. Perhaps you have already qualified for the next round, and I expect you would with images like this. I'm not sure about the theme though, is this supposed to be the evolution of medicine?

#48 dlscott56 - glass
    Again, not sure why you didn't make it, I thought this was one of the stronger images.

I'm rathed stunned my photo made it to the next round, considering how weak the connection was to the theme ... very little was draped in shadow or painted with light. I'm thrilled nonetheless!

Thanks to all for making this fun! I'm having a great time.

Zazzi
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Congratulations to all!
    Many great entries, it was hard to choose favorites!

203149052-O.jpg
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Hey!

Lots of great pictures.. :) Inspirational!
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Thank you to pyroPrints and davalistudios--I really appreciate your encouragement! Thank you all for allowing me to step out of "lurkdom" and have the courage to post. Let's just say that your amazing talent has been a bit intimidating for me (ok, not a bit, very). To have placed is truly humbling and beyond what I could have hoped for.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:

85 Untitled PaulThomasMcKee
    It’s greatness is that I stared at it to see what it was, and in the end, it’s nothing at all but a shadow! Am I wrong, or did you title it?

Mark, thanks for taking the time to share your comments and selections as well as your selection process.

Having sat out for a couple of rounds (due to vacation and then camera problems) and marveling at the quality of entries that are submitted - it was intimidating to jump back in with an entry of my own. I'm glad that I started this journey back at LPS3 because I don't think I'd have the nerve to enter if I had just found out about this contest.

My entry this round was a last moment effort and is simply a flashlight on a bathroom door. I'm not too proud of it so I didn't give it a title. After the entry deadline passed, I thought that it could have been titled "Emotionless Electromagnetic Illuminescence" in honor of Shay's thoughts regarding the role emotion plays in a good photo.

I had some compelling - tug at your heartstrings - ideas for this theme but time slipped by and I found myself scrambling to post something, anything, just to get my hat back in the ring.

Congrats to all who entered - really wonderfull work.
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Paul, I'm a little shocked that YOU would feel intimidated by the entries lately. eek7.gif You're a very creative artist with some noteworthy skills. You're one of the people I look up to and look forward every round to see what you've come up with! Welcome back! clap.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Jzazzi wrote:
    #14 Strikeslip - Just Another Rock In Space
    I really enjoy the smooth transition between light and dark on the surface of the moon, but the detail is what makes me grin. Wonderful photo, I want your lenses.

Thanks. I took that with my Canon 100-400mm (L). It's one of the first shots taken with my brand-spanking-new Canon 40D, which has moved my Rebel XT to backup status. I shot a wedding with the 40D this weekend and quite enjoyed the new "Highlight Priority" function. thumb.gif
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Strikeslip, you've taken your past shots with an XT?? I guess it really is all about the tecnique. I had thought for sure that you were one of those high end camera users. I'm inspired to keep working on my skills with my XTi and kit lens.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    Strikeslip, you've taken your past shots with an XT?? I guess it really is all about the tecnique. I had thought for sure that you were one of those high end camera users. I'm inspired to keep working on my skills with my XTi and kit lens.

Lighting first and lenses second. At least in my experience, the body doesn't matter much when shooting for this competition.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Lighting first and lenses second. At least in my experience, the body doesn't matter much when shooting for this competition.
    I would only put "mind" in the first place, but as long as the gear goes, I totally agree 15524779-Ti.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    [FONT=&quot]My selections are all about the exploration of the meaning of light and shadow – the shapes of shadows and graduations of light. Then there’s the question of what is light? Is the sun our only source? Artificial light even from oil is extracted from organic masses nurtured by the sun’s rays the placed under tremendous pressure. Or is light something else? Is it creative or soulful human traits? Is it the sparkle of human personality? Is shadow the darker side of personality? I tried to pick images that were fresh and not familiar. (Even an excellently executed trite image is not worthy of honoring as our best examples of art.) Finally I have chosen images that have made me think these thoughts. In our pop culture and mass media I have been dulled by the easy and quick visual messages and this contest has allowed me to explore thoughtfully its themes. These photographic artists have provoked my thinking and that is a very good thing indeed.thumb.gif

LPS13_mypicks.jpg

[/FONT]
    dd

Congrats to the winners!

Thank YOU so much.....it is an awesome feeling looking up to the sky and seeing the beautiful quaking aspen....and I am happy you felt the same....I turned it into a poster and framed it and offered it as a door prize at the Senior Social last Sat. and they loved it!! ( And the wife of a photographer won it!!! )

Drat....do we need more senior judges??? Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Maureen :D
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Thanks....
    For understanding the theme and seeing that theme in these pics...

Sometimes I think people don't take the theme into consideration when judging....

Jon

[FONT=&quot]My selections are all about the exploration of the meaning of light and shadow – the shapes of shadows and graduations of light. Then there’s the question of what is light? Is the sun our only source? Artificial light even from oil is extracted from organic masses nurtured by the sun’s rays the placed under tremendous pressure. Or is light something else? Is it creative or soulful human traits? Is it the sparkle of human personality? Is shadow the darker side of personality? I tried to pick images that were fresh and not familiar. (Even an excellently executed trite image is not worthy of honoring as our best examples of art.) Finally I have chosen images that have made me think these thoughts. In our pop culture and mass media I have been dulled by the easy and quick visual messages and this contest has allowed me to explore thoughtfully its themes. These photographic artists have provoked my thinking and that is a very good thing indeed.thumb.gif

LPS13_mypicks.jpg

[/FONT]
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Jzazzi wrote:
    #48 dlscott56 - glass
    Again, not sure why you didn't make it, I thought this was one of the stronger images.

Zazzi

Thanks Zazzi!
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    Thanks! It's awesome to think I've inspired someone! Keep on reading, learning, & having fun!!! That's what I'm doing, and I feel like a beginner, there's so much to learn. As was pointed out below your post, the body is less important than mind, light, & lenses.

I love my high-end lenses. But I know a guy who litterally cobbled a lens together using duct tape. The results were 'different', but beautiful and interesting. He's a prodigy anyway.bowdown.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Jzazzi wrote:
    #37 sherstone - 120
    The utter simplicity of this really made me think. How could I capture something so simple, and yet be inline with the topic? I couldn't answer that, so I thought of something else heh heh. Thanks for pushing me a little bit.

Thanks to all for making this fun! I'm having a great time.

Zazzi

Fun for sure....

I love this, thanks for the comment.:D