Barrel racing

snaptie2002snaptie2002 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited October 19, 2007 in Sports
Here's a shot from Saturday's horse show.

C&C welcome

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Here's a shot from Saturday's horse show.

C&C welcome

Good shot snaptie thumb.gif

I generally like to shoot the second barrel & try and time my shots so that the front legs are fully pushed out, digging in hard.

You may, on the other hand, not like that. ne_nau.gif

Anyway, it's good to see some barrel racing shots.
    Randy
  • snaptie2002snaptie2002 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    Good shot snaptie thumb.gif

I generally like to shoot the second barrel & try and time my shots so that the front legs are fully pushed out, digging in hard.

You may, on the other hand, not like that. ne_nau.gif

Anyway, it's good to see some barrel racing shots.

Yeah, sounds good like you said. I just don't know much about horses. My wife shoots dirt track, football, baseball, softball, soccer, and volleyball with me so I gladly go to the horse stuff with her.

It's turning out to be a lot of fun!

Marty
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Excellent! Love the moment: great action and excellent expression. The horse looks mighty and fabulous. Other than being granted golden light by the heavens, the only improvement I can think of would be a blurrier background. Maybe you should buy a 200 2.0? lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • snaptie2002snaptie2002 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Other than being granted golden light by the heavens, the only improvement I can think of would be a blurrier background. Maybe you should buy a 200 2.0? lol3.gif

Seems like they always save the speed events for the end of the show. Half the arena was perfect golden light, the other half was in shade. Guess where they put the barrels..........

Good solid advice on the 200-2.0. Always looking for an excuse to get more stuff :D.

Marty
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    may just be my screen here but the photo looks a bit on the cold side. The action is great, but i'd warm it up a few K...
  • augustmelodyaugustmelody Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Very ni
    Very nice, great timing! I agree, it is a bit on the "cold" side to my eye, but the shade is always dificult to work with.

I need to drag you out to some of the jackpots I go to, the "professional" photographers never do half as good a job as what they're charging for, and I hate to pay even for a good photo when I have the camera and equipement to get just as good a good photo. That can be difficult when I'm on the horse, though mwink.gif

This is one of mine - Gotta love that second barrel. I've found that that is the easiest, by far, to get decent shots where both the horse and the rider look "together". Easier to time than the first, too.
    l_4c5d07c6a57a88fed1ce7b648cb96b48.jpg
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    ...the "professional" photographers never do half as good a job as what they're charging for, and I hate to pay even for a good photo...

:wow umph.gifne_nau.gif

Do you aspire to be a professional photographer someday?
    Randy
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Nice capture.

Third Barrel
    118897343-L.jpg

Second Barrel (pee wee)
    118892190-L.jpg

A lot of P/S shooters are at these events and pull off some sweet shots, but they aren't in the arena, changing lenses in the dust, running memory back and forth to the lap top for printing, or doing their best to keep sweat off of their gear, from the heat of the day.

I've found that at horse shows, those that buy the photos look for certain things. The rider must be firmly in the saddle, in control. They like to see the ears of the horse alert (very important), and in the barrel racing shots, they love when the rider is looking to the next barrel, or the finish (You caught that. Nice.). They like when they are in form. No matter how crisp or clean a shot is, if the rider is 'off' they won't buy it. Learn what 'in form' means at your shows and you will sell shots.

BTW: Horses hate the sight of a lens!! That big ol' eye looking at them in an arena freaks them. You have to be careful not to ruin a good run with your 'big ol' eyeball'! Pro's care about this.
    Growing with Dgrin

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Super. Just being on a motorcycle, look through the turn to where you're going next. Again, you really capture the size and strength of the horse. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • augustmelodyaugustmelody Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    :wow umph.gifne_nau.gif

Do you aspire to be a professional photographer someday?

I do, and forgive me, my statement did NOT come across as I intended it! I should have clarified: What I meant to say was that the so-called "professional" (Note the quotation marks) photographer at this particular event doesn't take photos that I feel are worth the $45 that he is charging for a 4x6 print, especially when I have the equipment to get a nearly identical in quality, if not a better picture. I have absolutely no problem paying for quality work, but what I'm talking about are the completely out of focus, dark/washed out depending on the lighting, poorly timed photos that cut my head off or half of my horse's leg or something along those lines. I think that there are a lot of amazing photographers whose work is easily worth that much and more, however, the particular person I'm thinking of overcharges HORRIBLY and I don't feel that it is reasonable at all. I understand needing to make money, particularly if photography is your main profession or even a side job that brings in a substantial portion of your income especially after paying big bucks for equipment, but last I checked a Kodak EasyShare P&S is easily affordable by the average consumer. And I'm not exaggerating one bit when I quote the prices. I could private-message an example, if you'd like..
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Thats a better clarification ! I've spent most the day thinking about what you said, Im rather blunt most the time so I decided not to say anything until now, Rwells couldn't have said it any better. And as leaforte said PS folks can get the "Occassional" sweet shot but can they do it consistantly? Can they do it in arena's at night with horrible light (dungeons), Can you? While the rider and horse are in the middle of a cloud of dust? Do they stand in the arena most the day and half the night without a break, without going to the bathroom, without getting a decent meal becouse he doesnt want to miss any rider in any event? Do they worry if they will make enough $ to cover the costs or even make a decent profit. One thing I have noticed about people , you can't please all of them all the time, I shoot for pleasing most of them ALL the time.

$45 for a 4x6 ? Looks like I need to raise my prices wings.gif

Rant over.........I hope

good luck in your professional future

I have worked all day , shot most the night...Im tired , sleepy and have to shoot youth sports all day and half the night Sat, then get up early and go to a horse show, shoot most the day and half the night on Sunday. After I have had some rest I may have to delete this post.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
    edited October 13, 2007
    Onrey wrote:
    Thats a better clarification ! I've spent most the day thinking about what you said, Im rather blunt most the time so I decided not to say anything until now, Rwells couldn't have said it any better. And as leaforte said PS folks can get the "Occassional" sweet shot but can they do it consistantly? Can they do it in arena's at night with horrible light (dungeons), Can you? While the rider and horse are in the middle of a cloud of dust? Do they stand in the arena most the day and half the night without a break, without going to the bathroom, without getting a decent meal becouse he doesnt want to miss any rider in any event? Do they worry if they will make enough $ to cover the costs or even make a decent profit. One thing I have noticed about people , you can't please all of them all the time, I shoot for pleasing most of them ALL the time.

$45 for a 4x6 ? Looks like I need to raise my prices wings.gif

Rant over.........I hope

good luck in your professional future

I have worked all day , shot most the night...Im tired , sleepy and have to shoot youth sports all day and half the night Sat, then get up early and go to a horse show, shoot most the day and half the night on Sunday. After I have had some rest I may have to delete this post.

Once again, I apologize for the misunderstanding :cry I didn't mean to even hint that any of the incredible professionals on this forum fell into the category that I was referring to. I respect and admire the talent and dedication that goes into shooting horse shows (Other events too, but I am most familiar with the equestrian side of things) and being able to produce good pictures on top of that, but this particular instance, unfortunately, is beyond ridiculous IMHO.
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    perhaps a little mud? :D

56596389-M.jpg

who says fjords can't run?

86665372-L.jpg
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff