Options

Bigma?

2»

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Well come on lad, get on with it...its 90f outside & sunny as hell.

Show me your stuff !
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Well come on lad, get on with it...its 90f outside & sunny as hell.

Show me your stuff !
    you're not that far off - 40f and sunny here. but I had to pick up a washing machine from the repair shop, go to my building lot check on my contractor, do the shopping since MrsIt was sick, etc etc. I snuck in a quick 20 minutes at the campus pond with the ducks, but nothing too great. tomorrow though.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    The bigma with a 2x TC in line...man thats not to shabby at all. From my limited knowledge & what i read & see....this softness arises from people not using a tripod & having a slowish shutter. Maybe this lens would well suit the 20D with being able to shoot at higher ISO.

Have a butchers at this blokes 1000mm stuff...f/16 & quite sharp considering.
    http://www.pbase.com/miljenko/sigma_2x_tc

• Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    you're not that far off - 40f and sunny here. but I had to pick up a washing machine from the repair shop, go to my building lot check on my contractor, do the shopping since MrsIt was sick, etc etc. I snuck in a quick 20 minutes at the campus pond with the ducks, but nothing too great. tomorrow though.
    So what the go with the 120-300 f/2.8 mate? I thought you had your eye on it ?

Did you find through searching that it was a hard lens to get a good one with ? I cant count the number of times ive read that on the net.

Would be a good lens with a 1.4 TC
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    So what the go with the 120-300 f/2.8 mate? I thought you had your eye on it ?

Did you find through searching that it was a hard lens to get a good one with ? I cant count the number of times ive read that on the net.

Would be a good lens with a 1.4 TC
    And now I think we've officially hijacked this thread... it's now "baby brother of bigma" :D

I would have loved the faster version of my lens, but just like you, I read a couple bad reviews. Not a singl one about the f/4. Also $$$ was a big factor. Most of my shots are outdoor anyway with this lens, so hopefully it won't be a big deal.

It is a good lens with the 1.4... naughty.gif
    (another reason I got the f/4, freed up money to get the tc at the same time)
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    this softness arises from people not using a tripod & having a slowish shutter.

Maybe. I used a tripod and the quickest shutter I could. 2x on a 300 f4. Soft results, I was very disappointed. The only things I didn't use were a remote shutter release and mirror lockup.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Maybe. I used a tripod and the quickest shutter I could. 2x on a 300 f4. Soft results, I was very disappointed. The only things I didn't use were a remote shutter release and mirror lockup.
    I tried alsmost the same experiment as Sid did and arrived at the same conclusion. I think it's better to use the 1.4 and crop. At least on my 100-400mm the 2x is a dog. Anyone want to buy it? (What a bad sales job!)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I tried alsmost the same experiment as Sid did and arrived at the same conclusion. I think it's better to use the 1.4 and crop. At least on my 100-400mm the 2x is a dog. Anyone want to buy it? (What a bad sales job!)
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Are you selling the 100-400, the 2x, or the dog? :D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Are you selling the 100-400, the 2x, or the dog? :D
    Make me an offer.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    LiquidDyeLiquidDye Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Sigma 120-300 F/2.8
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And now I think we've officially hijacked this thread... it's now "baby brother of bigma" :D

I would have loved the faster version of my lens, but just like you, I read a couple bad reviews. Not a singl one about the f/4. Also $$$ was a big factor. Most of my shots are outdoor anyway with this lens, so hopefully it won't be a big deal.

It is a good lens with the 1.4... naughty.gif
    (another reason I got the f/4, freed up money to get the tc at the same time)
    I have this lens and haven't seen anything but good reviews which is why I bought it, one chap even said they had this lens and then exchanged it for the prime Canon 300 F/2.8 and wished he hadn't.
    Here's a couple of hand held indoor shots taken with only a single window light some 25 feet away from behind the subjects. The one with the cupboard door is 1/60th at 300mm and the video selection is 1/25th at 120mm both F2.8 and both handheld, and no flash. Bothj heavily cropped and resolution dropped to 72 dpi etc, not sure how to post a link that shows the full resolution image other than a link you have to click for a new window to my site.
    There is no 'I' in team work...:shay http://www.boxedphotos.co.uk
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    LiquidDye wrote:
    I have this lens and haven't seen anything but good reviews which is why I bought it, one chap even said they had this lens and then exchanged it for the prime Canon 300 F/2.8 and wished he hadn't.
    Here's a couple of hand held indoor shots taken with only a single window light some 25 feet away from behind the subjects. The one with the cupboard door is 1/60th at 300mm and the video selection is 1/25th at 120mm both F2.8 and both handheld, and no flash. Bothj heavily cropped and resolution dropped to 72 dpi etc, not sure how to post a link that shows the full resolution image other than a link you have to click for a new window to my site.
    Your family lets you take that lens out in the house?!? I obviously tried out mine as soon as it came and I nearly killed two of my housemates swinging it around... and if I'm not mistaken, the f/2.8 is even bigger than my f/4, right?!!

lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    LiquidDyeLiquidDye Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Your family lets you take that lens out in the house?!? I obviously tried out mine as soon as it came and I nearly killed two of my housemates swinging it around... and if I'm not mistaken, the f/2.8 is even bigger than my f/4, right?!!

lol3.gif
    yer yours is 227mm and 1440g with a 82mm filter and the best UK price I can find is £549 plus £3.95 P&P for yours,
    mine is 271mm and 2600g with a 105mm filter and the best UK price for mine is £1379 Plus £3.95 P&P so that is one hell of a lot of money just for one stop extra plus all the extra bulk. At the time I didn't know about the F/4.0,eek7.gif
    There is no 'I' in team work...:shay http://www.boxedphotos.co.uk
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    LiquidDye wrote:
    At the time I didn't know about the F/4.0,eek7.gif
    oops 11doh.gif
    Erik