Canon 40D Live View and Autofocus

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited October 1, 2007 in Cameras
So the Canon 40D has the live view shooting mode, which is quite sweet of course. However I find that when I use live view, my autofocus seems to not operate at all. Makes it kinda tough, cause it's impossible to focus manually while holding the camera out at an awkward angle and straining to see the LCD. Heck, it's tricky to focus right while holding the camera in front of me normally, due to the resolution of the small screen.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting someplace to turn autofocus on or off while live view is enabled?
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    The AF sensors can only see the scene when the mirror is down. In Live View mode the mirror is up and the AF system is blind.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    So the Canon 40D has the live view shooting mode, which is quite sweet of course. However I find that when I use live view, my autofocus seems to not operate at all. Makes it kinda tough, cause it's impossible to focus manually while holding the camera out at an awkward angle and straining to see the LCD. Heck, it's tricky to focus right while holding the camera in front of me normally, due to the resolution of the small screen.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting someplace to turn autofocus on or off while live view is enabled?

Enable the live view AF in Live View settings, and the press the magic AF ON button while shooting. I used it, it works deal.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Enable the live view AF in Live View settings, and the press the magic AF ON button while shooting. I used it, it works deal.gif

HTH

Ahh, awesome! Thanks guys, got it working. clap.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    In the 40D there is a way to zoom in a great deal in Live View to be able to see a critical detail and manually focus on that for macro work, etc. Look in you manual.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited October 1, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    In the 40D there is a way to zoom in a great deal in Live View to be able to see a critical detail and manually focus on that for macro work, etc. Look in you manual.
    While this is true, he was mentioning weird vieing angles. I can attest to the fact that with no articulating screen zooming and manual focusing under such curcumstances is next to impossible... ne_nau.gif
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    (newbie)Question: Is the live-preview accurate enough to determine correct focusing? Is it accurate enough to be used as primary (maybe secondary) manual-focusing check, or is one of those "Prism viewfinder" thingies (sorry for my lack of knowledge) a much better solution?

This might be an important factor in my decision to upgrade to a 30D (I'm REALLY considering it, Nikolai!), or a 40D. An unexpected influx of money by the end of the week plays tricks with your mind, inducing one to upgrade from a recently acquired 20D :D ).

bernardo
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    While this is true, he was mentioning weird vieing angles. I can attest to the fact that with no articulating screen zooming and manual focusing under such curcumstances is next to impossible... ne_nau.gif

'Tis true Nik, but I was replying more to the part where coldclimb said:

"Heck, it's tricky to focus right while holding the camera in front of me normally, due to the resolution of the small screen."

I thought the zoom of the preview might help for this at least.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited October 1, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    I thought the zoom of the preview might help for this at least.
    Yeah, I agree, and for a controlled environment and studio macro shoot this live view zoom is much better that OVF, IMHO...