Not a photo site, any problem?

Old Wild MenOld Wild Men Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited October 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I would like to build a regular website using smugmug customization. It would be dedicated to the career of a songwriter/producer (my site will be unofficial) and will have a bio, discography etc - it will NOT include original photos for sale and some photos on the site will be embedded in text only galleries.

I want to do it that way because I am comfortable with customizing with smugmug and it gives me a great template to get started. But I suddenly got cold feet thinking that most people use smugmug for selling their photos or as an online album for family and friends.

So...Does smugmug have any problem with me building such a site and are there in fact other sites out there like that already?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    I can't say for sure but my quess would be you can do whatever you want. In the customization example show here http://www.smugmug.com/price/power-users.mg
    you will find examples of some things other than photo sites.
  • Old Wild MenOld Wild Men Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Thanks for the info, Aaron. I would like to hear something "official" from someone at smugmug but this is encouraging and the examples you pointed to me are helpful.

Cheers,

Andrew
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Does smugmug have any problem with me building such a site and are there in fact other sites out there like that already
    I can't see why there should be any problem, but I suggest you e-mail them and you'll get a quick response. thumb.gif
    edited October 2, 2007
    Okay, will do. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Andrew

I can't see why there should be any problem, but I suggest you e-mail them and you'll get a quick response. thumb.gif
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Okay, will do. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Andrew

... and then post back here with the answer!...Please :)

BTW: I would think this would be a case for the: "Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" approach :)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    We'd love it, go for it! thumb.gif
    edited October 2, 2007
    Thanks Andy.

GJM Photo - this is the essence of the email reply from Sebastian from smugmug...

...We don't have any limitation on what you can
    do with your SmugMug site as long as you're not posting any content against our terms (http://www.smugmug.com/aboutus/terms.mg
    ), which in short that you should have the copyright to the photos that you're posting and they should be family safe and not violate any laws...

Thanks everyone for your help.

Andrew

Andy wrote:
    We'd love it, go for it! thumb.gif