Posting html on dgrin?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 3, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
Dgrin posts seem to be limited to some baby markup language that doesn't have nearly the power of HTML. Yet, when dgrin serves up a post it has to convert to html for the browsers (at least I think that's what it has to do.) So I think it would be great if a post could be directly in HTML and then dgrin would just serve it up as is.

I'm guessing the answer will be no, but if you don't ask, you won't get.
If not now, when?

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 2, 2005
    I can turn on the ability to place HTML tags in forum posts, which I did for awhile on ADVrider, but here are some of the downsides:

1. Members can forget to close tags, forget quotation marks, mess up tables, etc., and break the page so it fails to render buttons, etc.

2. Spam bots like to do things like use the META refresh tag to redirect the page to pr0n sites.

3. HTML opens up security holes like the ability to read cookies, gain access to login info, etc.

The question is what would you like to do that you can't with the forum tags? We can define new ones.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    The question is what would you like to do that you can't with the forum tags? We can define new ones.
    Better control over placement of images and text. In particular, text flowing around embedded images. It's much harder to make nice photoessays if text has to come strictly above and below images. Perhaps something like this is already supported?
    If not now, when?
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 3, 2005
    Yeah, I feel the pain on that. At ADVrider, I used to align pics right, etc. Lemme see if I can create an align right img tag for the forum.