Options

Photoshop CS assistance

gail9180gail9180 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited October 2, 2007 in Finishing School
When I creat a new image in photoshop (from scratch - i.e. file - new) there must be some kind of error in saving it or something else because when I upload the image online or try to insert it into an email, it will not upload. Im not sure if its a setting that I accidently made or what. It gives me that box with a red dot showing me that there is an error in viewing the pic. I dont know what to do. I wanted to see if anyone else ever had this problem before I take the program off and reinstall it. Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    What color mode and color space settings are you using when file - new dialog box pops up? You have to click the advanced arrow to see the colorspace.

gail9180 wrote:
    When I creat a new image in photoshop (from scratch - i.e. file - new) there must be some kind of error in saving it or something else because when I upload the image online or try to insert it into an email, it will not upload. Im not sure if its a setting that I accidently made or what. It gives me that box with a red dot showing me that there is an error in viewing the pic. I dont know what to do. I wanted to see if anyone else ever had this problem before I take the program off and reinstall it. Anyone?
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    What color mode and color space settings are you using when file - new dialog box pops up? You have to click the advanced arrow to see the colorspace.

CMYK, and Color Profile: Dont color manage this document
    8 bit.

I havent a clue whats going on with it. Its only on new images.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    gail9180 wrote:
    CMYK, and Color Profile: Dont color manage this document
    8 bit.

I havent a clue whats going on with it. Its only on new images.

Try color space RGB and color profile as sRGB. Save a pic as a jpg with those settings and upload.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Try color space RGB and color profile as sRGB. Save a pic as a jpg with those settings and upload.

That worked thanks. I guess i will just convert it to cmyk after creating it initially. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:

It wont upload if its in cmyk, do you know why that is? even if i assign the working cmyk profile.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    gail9180 wrote:
    That worked thanks. I guess i will just convert it to cmyk after creating it initially. Thanks again.
    Just curious why your converting to CMYK?
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Just curious why your converting to CMYK?

my printer prints cmyk, and ive never had a problem with it in the past. just recently
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    gail9180 wrote:
    my printer prints cmyk, and ive never had a problem with it in the past. just recently
    Have you tried using RGB?
    I used to work w/ large format CMYK prints all the time and almost alwyas used RGB profiles when ripping it to the que.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Have you tried using RGB?
    I used to work w/ large format CMYK prints all the time and almost alwyas used RGB profiles when ripping it to the que.

Thanks for the info. I will try it. I've given clients cd's with pics on them with RGB profiles, and then they went to like Kinko's or somewhere else where the machines printed in cmyk, and they turned out really awful. In school we always used cmyk too. Its just strange how all of a sudden it started to do that.

Weird.

Do you know if smugmug's labs print with RGB or CMYK?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    gail9180 wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I will try it. I've given clients cd's with pics on them with RGB profiles, and then they went to like Kinko's or somewhere else where the machines printed in cmyk, and they turned out really awful. In school we always used cmyk too. Its just strange how all of a sudden it started to do that.

Weird.

Do you know if smugmug's labs print with RGB or CMYK?

Smugmug's labs want sRGB files and that is what their software is configured to accept. If you upload a CMYK or AdobeRGB file to Smugmug, they will convert it to sRGB for you automatically because neither CMYK nor AdobeRGB images will display properly in most browsers on the web and because Smugmug's commercial lab needs images to be presented in sRGB.

Many CMYK colorspaces are also small colorspaces so going there when you don't need to can really limit the gamut of colors that you can have in your images which won't matter for some images, but can really matter for other images with brilliant colors.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question