I Need to Learn to Pace Myself

MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited October 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
202996481-L.jpg

I'll bet everyone is out there looking for their texture to shoot right now. Here's my pup and her crinkly nose. I have a couple other ideas I'm going to try this week.

Comments

• indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    I think it's a great idea, but it's pretty OOF and grainy. Can you reshoot?
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    I think it's a great idea, but it's pretty OOF and grainy. Can you reshoot?

Yeah, I was hand-holding the camera (and her treat) and trying to manual focus. So I'm going to try it again with the tripod. Getting her to sit still is the toughest part...treat time is really exciting!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Yeah, I was hand-holding the camera (and her treat) and trying to manual focus. So I'm going to try it again with the tripod. Getting her to sit still is the toughest part...treat time is really exciting!

IMHO, last thing you need is the tripod. What you need is a center spot AF, very fast shutter speed (crank up ISO to 400..800 depending on what camera you're using), high FPS rate and a very loose in-camera crop, so you can center focus, but re-crop in post. deal.gif After all, you're not printing the final frame 30x40 ;-) mwink.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    IMHO, last thing you need is the tripod. What you need is a center spot AF, very fast shutter speed (crank up ISO to 400..800 depending on what camera you're using), high FPS rate and a very loose in-camera crop, so you can center focus, but re-crop in post. deal.gif After all, you're not printing the final frame 30x40 ;-) mwink.gif

HTH

Nik's right that there is a lot you can get away with when your final target is web resolution and his solution is a good one. That said, if you are as obsessive about resolution as I am, there is another way. Visualize the shot you want in advance and prefocus for it; I'll often use a similar sized surrogate to help set up the framing and focus distance. I usually also have the camera in manual and the set up in advance so all I have to do is hit the shutter when I see my shot in the viewfinder.
    edited October 2, 2007
    Thanks for your suggestions. The tripod definitely didn't work as she tended to shy away from it. More attempts tomorrow I hope!
    edited October 2, 2007
    203190247-L.jpg

Another try this morning as suggested above. I think it's better, but I'm going to keep trying for a sharper image.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    ^ WOW - HUGE IMPROVEMENT. I like it more and more every time i look at it.clap.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
    edited October 2, 2007
    Mark,
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Another try this morning as suggested above. I think it's better, but I'm going to keep trying for a sharper image.
    Much better! deal.gif
    Now that you got the technique down you need to work on more dramatic lighting and more interesting pose! mwink.gif
    edited October 2, 2007
    Couple more tries outside in the sunlight...

203273505-L.jpg

203273525-L.jpg

203273742-L.jpg
    edited October 2, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Couple more tries outside in the sunlight...
    I like No3 out of the "couple" mwink.gifthumb.gif
    edited October 2, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like No3 out of the "couple" mwink.gifthumb.gif

Yeah, I like the textures in that one. Liberal use of unsharp mask.

Do you think I should have used fill flash to get more light to her eyes and nose?
    edited October 2, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Do you think I should have used fill flash to get more light to her eyes and nose?
    Depends on what are you going for... ne_nau.gif
    edited October 2, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Depends on what are you going for... ne_nau.gif

Fair enough question. I just thought her eye's looked too dark. I took these without flash because I noticed she was starting to look away when she'd see the flash attached to the camera.

But overall, I was happy with the way the texture of her hair came out in that last shot. I may just go with that one until I can shoot some of my other ideas and see how they come out.
    edited October 2, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Fair enough question. I just thought her eye's looked too dark. I took these without flash because I noticed she was starting to look away when she'd see the flash attached to the camera.

But overall, I was happy with the way the texture of her hair came out in that last shot. I may just go with that one until I can shoot some of my other ideas and see how they come out.
    If you decide to use flash, make sure it's way off the camera lens. Pet's eyes are notoriously bad for red/green eyes effect :-( deal.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Love your dogs pictures. I have two goldens and one runs from the flash while the other doesn't seem to care.

I have gotten some nice up close nose shots--I don't know if that was what you were going for, but kinda looked like it. Any way I lay on the floor when taking their pictures. Sometimes right under them while they are laying on the couch looking down to the floor. Works with the one who doesn't care about the flash.

I have started taking their pictures all in manual mode inside on sunny days. At least for the shy one who runs from the flash.
    edited October 2, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    Love your dogs pictures. I have two goldens and one runs from the flash while the other doesn't seem to care.

I have gotten some nice up close nose shots--I don't know if that was what you were going for, but kinda looked like it. Any way I lay on the floor when taking their pictures. Sometimes right under them while they are laying on the couch looking down to the floor. Works with the one who doesn't care about the flash.

I have started taking their pictures all in manual mode inside on sunny days. At least for the shy one who runs from the flash.

Yes, I was trying to get the texture of the nose (yeah, odd I know). I liked the texture in the very first shot I posted, but overall it was too grainy and out of focus. The shots from last night were using an extension tube and up really close, but it was hard getting a good focus with her moving around. For her, someone lying on the floor is an invitation to get pounced on so that didn't work for me. Maybe I'll have to sneak up on her when she's napping like in this older shot (pre-haircut as you can see):
    191852473-L.jpg
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Wow I found someone else who just loves dogs noses--I thought I was the only one :D . I know what you mean....if human is on the floor your in there play area and that means play time.

I was lucky to get my dogs picture after a long play out in the snow. She was pooped and just laid there wishing I would just finish what I was doing and let her sleep.

I also took the neighbors dog picture of its nose thru a fence.

Try putting a barrier between you and the dog. It worked for me. I have also put her ball on my head to get pictures. What a dog owner will do for a picture of the dog--ha.

I'd post the photo, but being new here I just don't know how. And I'm the type of person who needs a step by step tutorial :D . No, not really.

I did enjoy your photos!