Options

wedding dance

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited October 7, 2007 in Weddings
Another from the wedding I helped shoot...I know the B&G like sepia tones, so I went that direction here. How does this image look to you? Any PP suggestions? This has not been cropped at all, so what you see is what you get. Is her dress still too bright? I don't want to detract from the emotion of his face!

203086701-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    Here's another...slight variation (improvement?) on the first...

203097636-L-1.jpg
    Elaine

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    WOW!!! I love this shot! The angle, composition and emotion all do it for me! I like the processing and how it preserved some color in his boutonniere. FWIW I like the second one, but they're both lovely. Fantastic shot! clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    WOW!!! I love this shot! The angle, composition and emotion all do it for me! I like the processing and how it preserved some color in his boutonniere. FWIW I like the second one, but they're both lovely. Fantastic shot! clap.gif

Ditto!!!

Very nice conversion. I am not a fan of selective color but agree that in this shot the boutte has just enough saturation without going overboard. It works. Very elegant!!
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Great shot Elaine...beautiful!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    It's beautiful! Very nice shot! I love that he's clutching onto her dress and the emotion in his face... wow!!!!! Great PP!!
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    This is a great shot Elaine. Like the sepia here but was also wondering how this would look in a nice BW conversion as well. Did you enjoy shooting a wedding. Lots of hard work and not sure if I would want to be anything but a second shooter.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    Thanks everyone! I'm so glad others seem to like the shot as much as I do! :D The original looks pretty bad...bad color cast from the fiberglass roof above, bright dress and more shadowed face, etc... I tried to go B&W to begin with, but for some reason I just couldn't find a combination I liked that way. The dress and tux seemed to steal the show. So, I desaturated about 50% and then applied a sepia filter to get the current look. Anyway, I thought once I saw the shot that it deserved some extra attention. Thanks for the thumb.gif !

PS - Shane...I had more fun than I expected shooting a wedding. I think that had something to do with the fact that I was a second shooter and the B&G were fairly easy going and full of expressions! It was also all outdoors, so my equipment (just a camera and a couple lenses) handled it OK. It was a great first experience, but I'm not ready to move up to primary photog just yet!
    Elaine

• Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    ooooohh...I just tried something I've never tried before...an Orton effect - found directions here: http://www.pcin.net/update/index.php/2006/11/01/the-orton-effect-digital-photography-tip-of-the-week/

What do you think???

203240883-L.jpg
    Elaine

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    oooh, I really like that.

Much better than the midnight sepia or similar effects that can look kinda cheesy. This is very elegant and subtle.

Looks like something Shane did to her wedding photos... mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    oooh, I really like that.

Much better than the midnight sepia or similar effects that can look kinda cheesy. This is very elegant and subtle.

Looks like something Shane did to her wedding photos... mwink.gif

Thanks, Lynne! It's fun to try new things. I must say I was inspired to check out the Orton effect when I saw Tom K's images over in Field and Street. And then I did just happen to look at Shane's wedding gallery and noticed a lot of her shots had this lovely soft glow and it kinda reminded me of this Orton thing.

Thanks for looking! :D
    Elaine

• Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks, Lynne! It's fun to try new things. I must say I was inspired to check out the orton effect when I saw Tom K's images over in Field and Street. And then I did just happen to look at Shane's wedding gallery and noticed a lot of her shots had this lovely soft glow and it kinda reminded me of this Orton thing.

Thanks for looking! :D

Elaine, thanks for the nice comment you left today on my site. Slowly trying to get my site customized. I have heard of the orton effect and saw some how-to's on Flickr but that wasn't what I used on some of the wedding photos.
    Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Elaine,

Very emotional shot! i like both effects. Seems like a very in love couple.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    Elaine, thanks for the nice comment you left today on my site. Slowly trying to get my site customized. I have heard of the orton effect and saw some how-to's on Flickr but that wasn't what I used on some of the wedding photos.
    Shane

You're welcome, Shane! :D Your site is looking very nice! No, I didn't figure what you had used was the Orton effect, but I liked what you did and I'd love to learn more! I'm PMing you right now.
    Elaine

• Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    Elaine,

Very emotional shot! i like both effects. Seems like a very in love couple.

Thank you very much! Yes, they were very connected to each other and didn't need much direction during the "posed" shots at all!
    Elaine

• Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Thats a great shot. I think the Orton effect goes very well with the mood in the photo.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    Thats a great shot. I think the Orton effect goes very well with the mood in the photo.

Thanks very much, David!
    Elaine

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    99% of the shots on this site are just amazing shots, shots I would send home to mom. The rest are shots I would honestly hang on my wall or in a gallery, once-in-a-lifetime, higher-pay-grade shots. The shots that somewhere deep inside me a little voice goes "LAWWWD JESUS THATS AN AWESOME SHOT." This is DEFINITELY one of those shots. Throw in the Orton for good measure and I'm just praying I can get a capture like that someday.

The army bows to your supremacy.
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    99% of the shots on this site are just amazing shots, shots I would send home to mom. The rest are shots I would honestly hang on my wall or in a gallery, once-in-a-lifetime, higher-pay-grade shots. The shots that somewhere deep inside me a little voice goes "LAWWWD JESUS THATS AN AWESOME SHOT." This is DEFINITELY one of those shots. Throw in the Orton for good measure and I'm just praying I can get a capture like that someday.

The army bows to your supremacy.
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Well............................................
    I'm speechless at such a response! :Drolleyes1.gifwings.gif I can only hope the bride and groom feel that way, too! Thanks for boosting my photographer spirits the night before I have a family shoot. I don't know you, but... :sweet !

Thanks a million!
    Elaine

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    I totally want that shot... like 20 something by 30 something on canvas. I mean dang, just amazing work here. I think what I see most is that in an area in which I am very poor (close/tight with people photo's) you have set the bar incredibly high, if I EVER see a photo like that come out of my camera I'm quitting my job, buying a D3 and going into the business.

Stunning iloveyou.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Wow so touching. The guy is very good looking. You caught a very intimate moment...love the shoot.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Wow so touching. The guy is very good looking. You caught a very intimate moment...love the shoot.

Thank you so much, Seneca! This couple was very fun to shoot!
    Elaine

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Personally, I love the first two best. Awesome shot! I just LOVE how you really caught the emotion! Very nice! (And I need to search for the rest of your photos - sounds like you had fun!)