Please Help w/Javascript Error!

Mum2J&MMum2J&M Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited October 3, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. I recently did a huge update with all my photographs to smugmug and now my father-in-law in the UK complains that he gets a Javascript or "error" message every time I go to update any of my galleries. :rolleyes It's very frustrating because I did this site mostly for he and his wife. Is there any way to make it easier for them to view my images? Would thumbnails only be best - and if so - can I force my site to use only thumbnails? He's still on dial-up and is in his 70s, so I need to make things as easy as possible. It's the only way he gets to see his grandchildren. Thanks so much for any help you can provide. :bow

Comments

• EphemeralEphemeral Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    You can change a gallery to force the view mode by going to "Look & Feel" on the customise gallery page. Under the look and feel section there's a setting called "Style". There's a drop down box here where you can set the view style of the gallery. This means that anyone looking at that gallery will be forced to use "All Thumbs" view style.

I suggested this in the POTN forum as I had a friend who said that her brower crashed when she tried to view a gallery. I put 2 and 2 together and forced the view style to be NOT the "smugmug" one, as the smugmug view style has lots of bells and whistles that some browsers don't like. It solved her problems, so I suggested it to you.
  • Mum2J&MMum2J&M Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2007
    Ephemeral wrote:
    You can change a gallery to force the view mode by going to "Look & Feel" on the customise gallery page. Under the look and feel section there's a setting called "Style". There's a drop down box here where you can set the view style of the gallery. This means that anyone looking at that gallery will be forced to use "All Thumbs" view style.

I suggested this in the POTN forum as I had a friend who said that her brower crashed when she tried to view a gallery. I put 2 and 2 together and forced the view style to be NOT the "smugmug" one, as the smugmug view style has lots of bells and whistles that some browsers don't like. It solved her problems, so I suggested it to you.

Well, I have the basic membership and see that I don't have a "style" setting under look and feel. This makes me somewhat annoyed as the site is of very little use to me if the most important person trying to view it can't see it. eek7.gif
    edited October 2, 2007
    Mum2J&M wrote:
    Well, I have the basic membership and see that I don't have a "style" setting under look and feel. This makes me somewhat annoyed as the site is of very little use to me if the most important person trying to view it can't see it. eek7.gif

Why would they make a trickier "style" be the default? I don't get it. Would you think the most basic would be the cheapest? Sorry to rant. I just hate spending my hard earned money (stay at home Mom here) on a website that doesn't work for my needs. Angry now...:bash
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Hi,

Javascript is a feature of most any browser, and so close to 100% of people who browse SmugMug can use our site. It's a rare case where they can't and in those cases, we can help.

We just need to get some specifics regarding the browser & version, and any special software they might be running. It could be as simple as some firewall or anti-virus or other protection software they might have, that's blocking Javascript?

Let's take this to our help desk - write us there, http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal, and just copy and paste the url for this thread so that our Support Heroes can see what we've covered already.
    edited October 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi,

Javascript is a feature of most any browser, and so close to 100% of people who browse SmugMug can use our site. It's a rare case where they can't and in those cases, we can help.

We just need to get some specifics regarding the browser & version, and any special software they might be running. It could be as simple as some firewall or anti-virus or other protection software they might have, that's blocking Javascript?

Let's take this to our help desk - write us there, http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal, and just copy and paste the url for this thread so that our Support Heroes can see what we've covered already.

I will. Thank you.
    edited October 2, 2007
    Mum2J&M wrote:
    I will. Thank you.

fyi - my father-in-law has ie version 6 and norton antivirus corporate edition. My husband, who's in IT, says it's likely this is happening because he's on dial-up and isn't waiting for everything to load before trying to view the pictures. I have no idea how that can be solved. I hope the answer isn't that it can't without upgrading the membership to lock the view. I've asked him to change the view once he gets to the homepage. We'll see what that will do. If it does help, will that view remain the same for him, or will he have to go in and change it every time he visits the site? headscratch.gif
  • EphemeralEphemeral Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Mum2J&M wrote:
    I've asked him to change the view once he gets to the homepage. We'll see what that will do. If it does help, will that view remain the same for him, or will he have to go in and change it every time he visits the site? headscratch.gif

From what I remember it'll stay on the whatever was selected.