1st Post on People Forum, C&C Welcome Please

kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited October 7, 2007 in People
Ok, I'm going to jump in--I've only posted one other picture so far and that was in the LPS contest. I've been inspired by you all and thank you in advance for any C&C you can provide. I've been lurking for quite some time watching and learning from you all. Thanks!

--How embarassing--I don't fully know the ins and outs of posting here yet and accidentally inserted that silly smily sitting next to the thread title! I tried to go back and edit it to no icon but it doesn't seem to work :confused

198984215-L.jpg

198984226-L.jpg

200491925-L.jpg

#4--Tried Something Different in the PP :dunno
200517865-L.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    I removed the smiley. Welcome to dgrin! wave.gif

This one's cuuuute.

200491925-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

This one's cuuuute.

200491925-S.jpg

Sid, thank you for the welcome and for fixing my mistake!
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

This one's cuuuute.

200491925-S.jpg

I concur! This one is adorable! Cute boy! Thanks for sharing!
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Hi Kenlyne, and welcome!

I like these shots a lot, you've got a cute model. He looks a little tired, though, maybe give him some sugar before the next shoot:D

Since you asked for C&C, I'll give a few things.

For #1, I'm assuming that the shot is straight and the stump that he is on is crooked, but I think I would try making it so he is straight, it's a little distracting to have him on an angle like that. It also looks a little dark and washed out, but I'm on an uncalibrated laptop, so it could just be me.

For #4, I like the idea, but it seems a little too blury. If you did something like a gausian blur on a different layer, maybe try reducing the opacity of the blur layer a little, or making the blur a little less? You could also try masking it so that he face isn't as blurred as the rest of the shot.

All in all, though, some really cute shots! Keep posting!
    edited October 4, 2007
    adpace wrote:
    I concur! This one is adorable! Cute boy! Thanks for sharing!

Thank You--: )
    edited October 4, 2007
    rustic wrote:
    Hi Kenlyne, and welcome!

I like these shots a lot, you've got a cute model. He looks a little tired, though, maybe give him some sugar before the next shoot:D

Since you asked for C&C, I'll give a few things.

For #1, I'm assuming that the shot is straight and the stump that he is on is crooked, but I think I would try making it so he is straight, it's a little distracting to have him on an angle like that. It also looks a little dark and washed out, but I'm on an uncalibrated laptop, so it could just be me.

For #4, I like the idea, but it seems a little too blury. If you did something like a gausian blur on a different layer, maybe try reducing the opacity of the blur layer a little, or making the blur a little less? You could also try masking it so that he face isn't as blurred as the rest of the shot.

All in all, though, some really cute shots! Keep posting!

Thank you for the welcome and CC!

He was tired--tired of me taking picsrolleyes1.gif His little brother tends to be more obliging when it comes to modeling for me! Thank you for the advice--I'm excited to finally join in here and hope some of the great technique & talent on this board will rub off and come my way! Thanks!
  • sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Hey,

I like the framing and DoF in your shots, nice job! Your son fills the image but you still see the context of the tree stump and field.

In terms of critique, I might have tried to avoid catching the flower at the bottom right of the stump in the images. You can also crop it out in post. I find I am more drawn to portraits with fewer (distracting) elements.

These photos also look like they could use a little more pop so check out some of the tutorials that are floating around here on dgrin. #1 looks better with just a levels fix (and alsu pulling down the blue curve a little)...
    198984215ltb0.jpg
    Actually, it looks closer to what you achieved in #3.

Hope to see more shots from you soon!
    edited October 5, 2007
    sit wrote:
    Hey,

I like the framing and DoF in your shots, nice job! Your son fills the image but you still see the context of the tree stump and field.

In terms of critique, I might have tried to avoid catching the flower at the bottom right of the stump in the images. You can also crop it out in post. I find I am more drawn to portraits with fewer (distracting) elements.

These photos also look like they could use a little more pop so check out some of the tutorials that are floating around here on dgrin. #1 looks better with just a levels fix (and alsu pulling down the blue curve a little)...
    198984215ltb0.jpg
    Actually, it looks closer to what you achieved in #3.

Hope to see more shots from you soon!

Thanks for the feedback! I see what you mean about the weeds/flowers. I have used the levels--have to get into the habit of looking at & adjusting for every pic I want to keep. I only have Photoshop Elements 4 right now so have downloaded a Curves plug-in and have used it some--thanks for the tips--always looking for ways to come out with better pics. Hopefully I'll be posting more soon--my cousin wants me to photograph her 3 :ivar tomorrow. Practice, practice, practice.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Welcome. I like your shots. I concur about adding some more pop especially to the first two. This forum is and has been a wonderful learning experience for me. I am certain it will be for you as well. Thanks for sharing.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    #3 rocks! Definitely up the contrast - brighten those brights. But a very nice set!