Close up and Colour

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited October 3, 2007 in Holy Macro
Well I have been told to visit this forum as I really am interested in Macro photography. I only started a few months ago and if you look at my gear on my profile I have spent quite a lot.
I am amazed at the close up pics I have seen on here and I would love to do the same.
I have a Canon 60mm F2.8 Macro lens and it is brilliant but there is no way I can get any of the photo results I have seen on here.
I do my images in RAW and I suppose I can get the colour but the 60mm does not allow me to get the close ups I really want. Do I have to go for a fish eye or what.? As you know Skippy I am learning and determined to succeed.
Kind Regards
Bob
Scotland

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    You remember those extension tubes you were asking about?

That's what they do.

Extension tube: makes macro shots bigger.

Extender: makes your telephoto lens reach out further.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

That's what they do.

Thanks Sid I really appreciate what you have told me. I will damned well get there yet as I am so determined.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited October 2, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

That's what they do.

id

Tell me Sid, do I not need another lens to get the same effects I have seen on here. What type of extension tube should I go for? If that is the case.
    Bob
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    id

Tell me Sid, do I not need another lens to get the same effects I have seen on here. What type of extension tube should I go for? If that is the case.
    Bob

see reply in other thread if you are in the UK a set of Jessops auto ext tubes (EOS fit) will work with your lens.

Brian V.
    edited October 4, 2007
    see reply in other thread if you are in the UK a set of Jessops auto ext tubes (EOS fit) will work with your lens.

Brian V.

Hi Brian,
    I went today and bought a set of extension tubes for £75 from Jessops. I tried the tubes on a 60mm lens like mine on the 40D and I tried them and although I couldn't get a reflection as to what they would do I can try them and take them back if I want for a full refund.
    I tried them all together on my 60mm lens and used the 40D but they are still a long way short of the photos I have seen on here. First of all I went into 'Raw' and changed the lens to (Man) I put the camera setting on Macro and I attached the 580 EX flash. I waw trying to send you the photos but at the moment SmugMug is down being repaired. As soon as it resumes I will send them. I tried using the tubes without the flash and I kept getting an error message saying the lens required cleaning. I moved in a different position and it would then work. Several times I got this error message and after switching the camera off and on again it would work fine. However, the standard of the photo content leaves a lot to be desired as you will see. I used a tripod as it was totally hopeless hand held. It is a damned good job these insects were dead or I would never have achieved what I did. Your firm comments will be more than welcome.
    Kind Regards
    Bob