Options

Still learning and very confused!

SandyGSandyG Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited October 7, 2007 in Technique
Hi Dgrin,

I took long break from taking pics and getting to know my camera. (i'm really new at this) Now I'm more confused than ever and need advice.

I'll first start off by listing my equipment. My problem is, I have this equipment and have no idea it's potential.
Not sure what information you need off the lenses but I'll list what I see.

Canon EOS Rebel XT
430 ex Speedlight

Lenses: Quantaray 28-90 mm 1:3.5-5.6
Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
Sigma 500mm 1:7.2
That's pretty much it other than the lens that came with the camera.

I love shooting portraits (candids mainly) I'd love to get the best use out of my flash but have no idea how to do this.

Ohh-Ive bought a guide for my camera, I've even taken a basic photography class (which wasn't digital), I've watched instructional videos on youtube and everything has left me with more questions. Do you suggest private lessons? another book? video?

sorry for the long and possibly confusing post but i have no idea where to start:scratch

SandyG:D

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Sandy,

What I would sugest is to provide your city, and state. Someone reading your post, and living near you might be available to help you out. If not, do a search for camera clubs in your area. Find other photographers..........most are very willing to help out.

Sam
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    Sandy,

What I would sugest is to provide your city, and state. Someone reading your post, and living near you might be available to help you out. If not, do a search for camera clubs in your area. Find other photographers..........most are very willing to help out.

Sam
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Sam is right, most photogs are more than willing to help.

Your local camera store will most likely have beginner classes.
    You local community college shoud have a Photography I, II & III.
    Do a Flickr search (only if dgrin doesn't work mwink.gif )for local area meetup for photogs in your area.
    Try meetup.com. Even if there isn't a group, create a group. You'd be surprised what might come out of the woodwork.
    Track down a pro in your area and see if they need a minimum wage or free assistant.

This is where I'd personally start.

-Jon
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    SandyG,

I'm fairly new as well, so take my advice for what it's worth.

First, you have a lot of lenses. I would recommend that you learn the basic operation of the camera by using just the kit lens. Sit down with the camera and go through the manual to learn what the various settings are used for and how they effect the image. If you find a setting or feature that your unsure about, test it by taking some photo's. The visual feedback will help more than any instructor, video or book. Because you took the picture, at the new settings, it will be easier to remember.

Second, you did not say how you currently shoot today. Do you shoot in Auto, or in one of the priority modes (Aperture, Shutter) or manual. If your still using Auto, I would recommend that you experiment with the different modes on the camera. I've found that Aperture Priority is my favorite mode. However, I like to shoot landscapes.

Second, give yourself some time to learn. I've been reading many books, online forums, and taking photo's, and still feel as if I'm at the starting gate. There is so much to learn it can be overwhelming.

I've not taken the leap to join a local club yet. I'm sure there is a lot to be learned from being around others, especially with more experience.

Good luck.
    Dale
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    SandyG,

I'm fairly new as well, so take my advice for what it's worth.

First, you have a lot of lenses. I would recommend that you learn the basic operation of the camera by using just the kit lens. Sit down with the camera and go through the manual to learn what the various settings are used for and how they effect the image. If you find a setting or feature that your unsure about, test it by taking some photo's. The visual feedback will help more than any instructor, video or book. Because you took the picture, at the new settings, it will be easier to remember.

Second, you did not say how you currently shoot today. Do you shoot in Auto, or in one of the priority modes (Aperture, Shutter) or manual. If your still using Auto, I would recommend that you experiment with the different modes on the camera. I've found that Aperture Priority is my favorite mode. However, I like to shoot landscapes.

Second, give yourself some time to learn. I've been reading many books, online forums, and taking photo's, and still feel as if I'm at the starting gate. There is so much to learn it can be overwhelming.

I've not taken the leap to join a local club yet. I'm sure there is a lot to be learned from being around others, especially with more experience.

Good luck.
    Dale
    15524779-Ti.gif Dale! (except for the lens part)
    Another thing that I forgot that is SO fundamental to being a better shooter.
    TAKE ALLOT OF PICTURES!
    You'd be surprised how many ppl study the crap out of everything. Hardly take any pictures and wonder why their picture still bite donkey! I'm more guilty of this than most at one pointrolleyes1.gif .
    Even if you shoot in auto. Take the pictures to learn composition and find out what style shots you want to take. Then get into the technical. This forum is great for all your questions and will help you get up to speed in no time flat.
    We can only help you if you take the shots though!
  • Options
    SandyGSandyG Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    thanks!
    Wow thanks for all your responses. Sam, Sloy I'll definately look into a photography group to join.

MooreD - I shoot under every setting possible to experiment but when I want my final shot I go back to auto mode. ( boring ) I take so many pics and take my camera everywhere! I've gotten lucky with some incredible shots. Friends and co-workers not involved in photography love my pics and ask I take pics of their family.ne_nau.gif yiiikes! I'd love to but I don't tell them I have no idea what i'm doing!

Anyhow- my goal is to be able to see a shot, asses the lighting and such, and be able to set my camera to give the picture the "look" i want WITHOUT pulling out my manual or notes! headscratch.gif

thanks for all your advicebowdown.gif I'll keep posting my questions and learn from you guys!
    SandyG:D
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    My suggestion is practice. I have the XTi which is just a step above yours, just the newer version. I also have a 430 as well. Your selection of lenses sounds like you have a versitle setup as well.

I ask a lot of friends suggestions and stuff, but most of all I just go out and play around, essentially I'm teaching myself. I took an intro class, didn't learn anything I didn't know.

it sounds like you're trying to learn everything all at once as well. Try to break it down into bits. Practice and analyze aperture settings, and once you get the hang of those, move on to Shutterspeeds. Once you get that, try ISO, or white balance, or something like that. Work on it in bits and pieces.

And just have fun.

Despite what people say, I would stay away from the kit lens. My dad avoided a kit lens because for the XT line they aren't the best. And the last thing you want is to take photos and thing you're doing something wrong only to find out your lens just isn't sharp enough.

Everything I learned, 90% of it came from my dad :D

My problem is, I have this equipment and have no idea it's potential.
    The potential of your equipment is only limited by what you're willing to try. The sky's the limit.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    SandyG wrote:
    Anyhow- my goal is to be able to see a shot, asses the lighting and such, and be able to set my camera to give the picture the "look" i want WITHOUT pulling out my manual or notes! headscratch.gif
    Just another comment about your statement above. I think everyone learning photography puts a lot of pressure on themselves to create the "look". I'm just as guilty as you in that regard. It's going to take time, familiarity with you camera's settings, and practice, practice, practice. As SloYerRoll said, take a lot of photos. That's what I'm trying to do.

Regarding my lens comment. When I first read your post, I interpreted it as you have a lot of gear, but don't know how to use it or where to start. I was simply trying to reduce the number of variables in your learning.

I can recommend one book that might help you with your goal. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I've found it helpful.

Dale
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    Just another comment about your statement above. I think everyone learning photography puts a lot of pressure on themselves to create the "look". I'm just as guilty as you in that regard. It's going to take time, familiarity with you camera's settings, and practice, practice, practice. As SloYerRoll said, take a lot of photos. That's what I'm trying to do.

Regarding my lens comment. When I first read your post, I interpreted it as you have a lot of gear, but don't know how to use it or where to start. I was simply trying to reduce the number of variables in your learning.

I can recommend one book that might help you with your goal. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I've found it helpful.

Dale
    I have to agree with this.

On many of my photo assignments, "the look" occurs from two things. Either I took 600 photos in 2 or 3 hours (a small number to many more advanced photographers) or I planned something out for an hour or 2 before the shoot, and took 30 minutes to set it up.

There is a point where you will be able to see them, but an understanding of the basics is paramount. Getting a decent photo that is correctly exposed is more important than getting the perfect photo but was overexposed cause of an incorrect setting.

There are very few people who can go out and take just one picture and have it be the perfect photo that requires no work. It's either preparation or serendipity.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    There are very few people who can go out and take just one picture and have it be the perfect photo that requires no work. It's either preparation or serendipity.
    I'm pretty sure the average leans to the latter..
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the average leans to the latter..
    I know :D That's what I was getting at wings.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 5, 2007
    Serendipity is always nice, but you can't really count on it when the chips are down.

It is really better to see the shot ahead of time, and plan a strategy to create it, or capture it at the proper moment.

I shoot a lot - a whole lot - of shots that are serendipitous. Some work out pretty good.

But the ones I plan ahead of time, tend to wear much better in the long run.

Planning ahead gets easier as you understand what your camera, lighting, lenses, and image editing abilities allow.

Learning to "see the light" - really "see the light" - will pay great dividends also. No great pictures occur, without great lighting. Learn to see great lighting, or find it, or even better yet, create it when needed. Good use of flash can go a very long way in this department.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Sandy posted. "Anyhow- my goal is to be able to see a shot, asses the lighting and such, and be able to set my camera to give the picture the "look" i want WITHOUT pulling out my manual or notes! "

Yesterday I attended a seminar, mini workshop, on portrait photography at a local photo store, Keeble & Shuchat, featuring Steven Katzman a well-known published photographer.

At one point he attempted to demonstrate a technique, but couldn't figure out how to reset his camera. He just got it back from Canon after a cleaning or minor repair, and the Canon tech had reset everything to the default settings. He finally let one of the students adjust his camera for him. rolleyes1.gif

He does know how to operate a camera, but isn’t focused on every button, and feature. His focus, and strength is his vision, artistry, and passion for his work.

Sandy, get off auto mode! A ten minute discussion and a little practice should be all it takes to get you to give up the auto modes.

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 7, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif

Sam is definitely onto something - ya gotta ditch the auto button technique.

Shoot Manual Mode or Av mode if the light is changing swiftly. My exposure accuracy is much higher in Manual Mode when shooting out of doors.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin