My First VolleyBall game!

PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
edited October 4, 2007 in Sports
Ok, so I survived... interestingly enough, it was not as hard as Football.

The gym was fairly lit, and I was able to shoot ISO 1600 wide open at 2.8 and stopped down to 2.2 (on the 50mm). With shutter speeds ranging 1/320 to 1/450 and sometimes higher.

Anyhow, I uploaded them to my Mac Gallery. Please take a look at them and C&C.

I am considering YET another lens, because the 50mm was too "close" for me... any thoughts on the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

Alright here is the link: http://gallery.mac.com/pineapplephoto#100037&bgcolor=black&sel=100

And THANKS to Randy for that CnF#4/Set3 tip! I made a WORLD of difference! :D

Oh, it was actually 2 games. The Team A (Seniors or something) that played with White t-shirts and played best 3 out of 5 and won all 3.

And Team B, that lost playing 2 out of 3... so I got to capture some emotions (did not stick around too much, I was too tired!).

My observations, this sport is FAST. You blink and you missed it... and trying to look down the viewfinder, set the focus and figure out who is going to hit the ball... I must master that... :p

So, what do you think?

Here are some of my favorites:

During the warm-up session
web.jpg

Block?
web.jpg

Serve
web.jpg

the VIP = Very Intense Player.
web.jpg

Look at that face! (right after the previous shot, she got the point).
web.jpg

Four Vs One. I loved this composition :)
web.jpg

A different point of view? or I missed the focus perhaps ;)
web.jpg

Reflections :)
web.jpg

Do not forget to look at the gallery! :Dhttp://gallery.mac.com/pineapplephoto#100037
Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007

And THANKS to Randy for that CnF#4/Set3 tip! I made a WORLD of difference! :D

... and trying to look down the viewfinder, set the focus and figure out who is going to hit the ball... I must master that... :p

Pictures look good thumb.gif
    Glad the back * focus tip worked out for you.

Learn to shoot with BOTH EYES OPEN!

That will allow you to keep a larger view of where the ball is, or is going, etc... Helps with your shot timing too among other things.

I leaned that trick quickly when in an arena and a bull is coming at you, FAST!
    Randy
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007

I am considering YET another lens, because the 50mm was too "close" for me... any thoughts on the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

You did much better than I did on my first game. Very nice shots. I'm planning to buy the 30mm f1.4 for basketball season. RandySmugMug shot basketball with one last year and I loved the shots he got. I've actually completely stopped using my 50mm for Volleyball. Perhaps my perspective needs a little kick in the butt. I'd definitely be interested to see what you do with it and from what I've seen the 30mm is a great lens.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    mwink.gif
    rwells wrote:
    Pictures look good thumb.gif
    Glad the back * focus tip worked out for you.

Learn to shoot with BOTH EYES OPEN!

That will allow you to keep a larger view of where the ball is, or is going, etc... Helps with your shot timing too among other things.

I leaned that trick quickly when in an arena and a bull is coming at you, FAST!

I will try! They loved the pictures of course :D which is important.

ps: I had a revelation... I would rather be "tackled" by a 100lb VB player than a 350lb FB player (wearing a helmet and those spiky shoes!)
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I am actually settling for a Sigma 20mm f1.8 I want as much wide angle as I can get, plus I can always step in a little closer... mwink.gif
    donek wrote:
    You did much better than I did on my first game. Very nice shots. I'm planning to buy the 30mm f1.4 for basketball season. RandySmugMug shot basketball with one last year and I loved the shots he got. I've actually completely stopped using my 50mm for Volleyball. Perhaps my perspective needs a little kick in the butt. I'd definitely be interested to see what you do with it and from what I've seen the 30mm is a great lens.
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Nice stuff! I should try a less-than f/2.8 lens for volleyball. I like closeups, though, so I'd be tempted to try out an 85mm f/1.x!
    Thanks for sharing!