203554998-L.jpg

203555977-L.jpg

203554976-L.jpg

203554956-L.jpg

Comments

• rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Hey Randy,

You've got some great shots there as always, I especially like #1 and #6. You've got the whole gamut of facial expressions going on in that series!
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    rustic wrote:
    Hey Randy,

You've got some great shots there as always, I especially like #1 and #6. You've got the whole gamut of facial expressions going on in that series!

thx Rustic...for me it's all about the faces
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Randy,
    Do you normally shoot with center-weighted metering? I noticed that your exposures were great even though there are black uniforms and white uniforms - they all look nice.

I struggle to get good exposures with center weighted metering and am finding I use multi with exposure compensation depending on the angle of the sun from my shooting position.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Randy,
    Do you normally shoot with center-weighted metering? I noticed that your exposures were great even though there are black uniforms and white uniforms - they all look nice.

I struggle to get good exposures with center weighted metering and am finding I use multi with exposure compensation depending on the angle of the sun from my shooting position.

- Mike

the jury is still out on CW metering for me. I have been doing some testing lately on metering and EV adjustments. I am close to being sure about 2 things:
    1. Positive EV w/ CW metering works great when shooting into the sun as long as you AF on the face w/ the center sensor.
    2. Negative EV can be and usually is a disaster for me when i set it to prevent blinkies caused by white uniforms (or anything not related to the face)...soft faces are the worst thing that can happen to one of my pics and i now gladly sacrifice blown other stuff to get a good face and since i shoot in raw i try to tone down the blown hightlites but not at the cost of the face.

the sun's angle is critical to good faces vs shadows. 4pm is the best time, 9am is next, anything inbetween may need fill flash or cw metering