Options

Ch 33 - Family Heirloom

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited March 5, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Oops!

Please comment. Can you be this bruttal?
16811647-L.jpg
16811643-L.jpg
16811651-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DRebelGirlDRebelGirl Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Uh oh....
    That looks painful!

I like the 2nd one best for some reason....I think it's because I can
    tell what it is better than the other 2 shots.
    Shoot first...ask questions later! :thumb
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    You are in deep sh$t, angelo... :lynn
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Angelo

In #2, did you attempt to sweep the debrit (sp?) in an L shape like that? Or is that just how it broke? I would be interested in the the physics of breaking like that, if it wasnt touched :)

Call me a nerd... Im ok with it
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    Angelo

In #2, did you attempt to sweep the debrit (sp?) in an L shape like that? Or is that just how it broke? I would be interested in the the physics of breaking like that, if it wasnt touched :)

Call me a nerd... Im ok with it

That's also the sharpest image of the bunch.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    There are easier ways to enter a challenge Angelo... I think the better shot would be your face and not the broken vase.

peace.
    johno~

Sorry for your loss. Remember, there is always ebay.
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Hi Angelo,
    I like the second one for it's sharpness. All three make very good abstracts, but I don't think they make it for the topic. They are the result of someone's emotions, but they don't show emotion in the picture. I'd like to see the person who discovered this catastrophe. What did her face look like?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo, I agree with Snappy. But remember, I was the one who didn't/doesn't like the snake with the mouse shots for this challenge.

This challenge seems very difficult. The last challenge had so many fantastic entries, I am not seeing it here. Something will come out and be good, but it isn't easy. That soccer team picture will win if it is sharp. Just my opinion. But when I cropped it, it wasn't sharp.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.

Bridge: I'll reveal my answer after the challenge (should I decide to enter one of these) :):

Fish - well... we'll see mwink.gif

John, Snappy, Ginger: I think imagining the reaction could be perceived as part of emotion, no? The challenge is about showing or evoking emotion?

I won't give up yet. Thanks again.
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    hmmmm...
    Sorry Angelo, this just doesn't *work* for *me*. I understand the context because of the title but the destruction of the piece is so total that it's hard to really appreciate that it had any value to begin with.

In other words, if for instance, you showed a beautiful painting that had a major slash right through the center of it-that I could understand without a caption. Or a fantastic piece of pottery with *just* a crack in it-so that you knew it was ruined but there was enough of it still together so you could appreciate the value it *had*.

The pictures really only miss because the subject is indistinguishable (man, that's a big word-did I spell it right?). The lighting is neat and worth pursuing another time.

I hope your didn't break that just for the picture (unless of course it isn't really a family heirloom).
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Dude my dad has a wicked set of tools. I can fix it!:D

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    Sorry Angelo, this just doesn't *work* for *me*. I understand the context because of the title but the destruction of the piece is so total that it's hard to really appreciate that it had any value to begin with.

In other words, if for instance, you showed a beautiful painting that had a major slash right through the center of it-that I could understand without a caption. Or a fantastic piece of pottery with *just* a crack in it-so that you knew it was ruined but there was enough of it still together so you could appreciate the value it *had*.

The pictures really only miss because the subject is indistinguishable (man, that's a big word-did I spell it right?). The lighting is neat and worth pursuing another time.

I hope your didn't break that just for the picture (unless of course it isn't really a family heirloom).
    (Bridgecity I guess this will answer your question as well.)

Mongrel, I'm not sure how value of the object distinguishes whether or not I've composed, lit, focused and shot a good picture but I'll certainly strive to improve. For the record, this bowl, while not really an heirloom is 1 of a 2 piece, irreplaceable sculpture, destroyed when a worker knocked it over. I've kept all the pieces in hopes of finding a restoration house that might repair it. I recreated the "scene of the crime" because I remembered how we felt when we discovered it. (No Bridge, no honest physics at play here, sorry). So I guess I failed at conveying the emotional shock and horror we felt.
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

Mongrel, I'm not sure how value of the object distinguishes whether or not I've composed, lit, focused and shot a good picture but I'll certainly strive to improve. For the record, this bowl, while not really an heirloom is 1 of a 2 piece, irreplaceable sculpture, destroyed when a worker knocked it over. I've kept all the pieces in hopes of finding a restoration house that might repair it. I recreated the "scene of the crime" because I remembered how we felt when we discovered it. (No Bridge, no honest physics at play here, sorry). So I guess I failed at conveying the emotional shock and horror we felt.
    Ouch. Does the side that shattered have all the important details?
    headscratch.gif If you take a big block of clay as a work desk, you might be able to puzzle the pieces into the right order and then slowly glue them back together. I'd use a relatively slow setting glue during that process...

I have to agree that I didn't see "emotion" from the picture, but I definitely felt a cringe when I saw the pieces!
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo,

#2 is my pick of the bunch. It is a good, interesting picture.

At least to me the pictures do convey a sense of sadness... I see the broken pottery and I see a pretty, fragile object that has been destroyed.

After reading you're last post I get the impression that this is not the emotion you were trying to convey. If you wanted to convey the "emotional shock and horror we felt" I think you should have approached the picture differently -

When we look at the image, we see the broken object. It's the main subject and it dominates the entire frame. We, as viewers, have no sense of discovery or shock as you did when you found the broken pot. Maybe by stepping back and shooting a wider view you could place the pot in it's surroundings. With careful compostion you could create an image that would grab the viewer's eye and lead to to the pot. The pot would still be the subject of the picture, but the viewer would have to "discover" it. Make any sense ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Angelo,

#2 is my pick of the bunch. It is a good, interesting picture.

At least to me the pictures do convey a sense of sadness... I see the broken pottery and I see a pretty, fragile object that has been destroyed.

After reading you're last post I get the impression that this is not the emotion you were trying to convey. If you wanted to convey the "emotional shock and horror we felt" I think you should have approached the picture differently -

When we look at the image, we see the broken object. It's the main subject and it dominates the entire frame. We, as viewers, have no sense of discovery or shock as you did when you found the broken pot. Maybe by stepping back and shooting a wider view you could place the pot in it's surroundings. With careful compostion you could create an image that would grab the viewer's eye and lead to to the pot. The pot would still be the subject of the picture, but the viewer would have to "discover" it. Make any sense ne_nau.gif
    Cletus; you make 2 very good points. 1) you did feel something upon viewing. I'm glad about that and 2) your idea for a wider shot and "discovery" are brilliant. I will try that. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    joechiu wrote:
    Ouch. Does the side that shattered have all the important details?
    headscratch.gif If you take a big block of clay as a work desk, you might be able to puzzle the pieces into the right order and then slowly glue them back together. I'd use a relatively slow setting glue during that process...

I have to agree that I didn't see "emotion" from the picture, but I definitely felt a cringe when I saw the pieces!
    mmmmmm not sure I would trust myself to this. thanks for the advice but I think I'd rather trust this repair to a pro.

oh, and your "cringe" is what I was hoping for. Thanks.
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    #3 for Me
    Angelo wrote:
    Oops!

The third one kind of gets in your face. Usually you feel up close to something you broke. It definitly evokes emotion in me, but of course I entered the Calm Winter Scene that provoked the ??? about what was the Emotion challenge about anyhow.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

I knew it, your trajectories were all wrong. You would have had to drop the vase in a highly viscous oil to see low Reynolds number dispersion effects like that... Totally staged. hmmph.

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I knew it, your trajectories were all wrong. You would have had to drop the vase in a highly viscous oil to see low Reynolds number dispersion effects like that... Totally staged. hmmph.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    Dude my dad has a wicked set of tools. I can fix it!:D

Tim
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Your Dad must be a TV repair man.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I believe it was an "ultimate" set of tools though.
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Oops!

16811647-L.jpg
    I like this one best....mostly because of the angle. to me it speaks of anger or frustration, and this viewpoint speaks of reaching "an alltime low" so to speak! Although I'm kinda curious...how well can we fit this challenge without the human element somewhere in frame? I'm curious on everyone's thoughts here. it'd be interesting to see this shot framed with 2 pairs of feet, male shoes and female shoes, to sort of elude to a fight....maybe? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    I like this one best....mostly because of the angle. to me it speaks of anger or frustration, and this viewpoint speaks of reaching "an alltime low" so to speak! Although I'm kinda curious...how well can we fit this challenge without the human element somewhere in frame? I'm curious on everyone's thoughts here. it'd be interesting to see this shot framed with 2 pairs of feet, male shoes and female shoes, to sort of elude to a fight....maybe? ne_nau.gif
    That's an interesting idea thanks. I'm considering all the possibilities. I shouldn't reveal this but I will.... I'm thinking of restaging #2 with the shadow of a cat just off frame or a cat's tail exiting the frame.
    Thanks for commenting DF.
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    That's an interesting idea thanks. I'm considering all the possibilities. I shouldn't reveal this but I will.... I'm thinking of restaging #2 with the shadow of a cat just off frame or a cat's tail exiting the frame.
    Thanks for commenting DF.
    no problem! can't wait to see your reshoot!
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Angelo,

I'm not sure if I have much more to add. However, if you hadn't put a title, I probably wouldn't have known that this was a post on emotion.

For me, I saw creative angles, interesting lighting, etc., but the photos didn't evoke a hint of emotion in me. In this case, I think the emotion would be in the person that either broke/or found the broken item.

Peace to you Angelo.

Brad