Macro Post Processing

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited February 13, 2008 in Holy Macro
How about some of the veterans sharing with a newcomer some insight into post processing Raw images. What software programs are you using and if multiple applications are being used, what order are you processing in? Are there any special techniques? I've seen some very vibrant colors here, and have not been able to reproduce anything that bright/colorfull in my photo's. :scratch
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Fraid mine is very simple.
    RAW processing- C1pro -exposure adjustment if needed, noise reduction at default, sharpening tweaked to 100%
    (combinezm - focus stacking if used)

Photoshop - Levels adjustment (normally just the RH slider moved to the left), de-noise with imagenomic noiseware pro at lowest setting and sharpening with USM at 100,1,1 unless the image has been focus stacked then no USM (CZM sharpens the output).

I just try to keep PP to a minimum- take too many pics for anything fancy :D

Brian V.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    I still use RSE for RAW conversion - do some exposure & white balance fiddles there, if necessary.

For PP I use PaintShop Pro 9 - histogram, auto saturation, clarify and USM (usually 0.6, 150, 5). May skip any step except the USM.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I am not an expert by any stretch, I take lots of photos hoping to get a good one. Luckily it is my hobby and electrons are recyclable :) This work flow is what works for me after a few years of process.

1) Shoot lots of photos
    2) At the end of the shooting, typically the end of the day, download the photos in two methods
    a) I use Adobe Lightroom to import the photos (copying them in), including a Keyword and Metadata set that is appropriatte for the day. I also tell it to convert to DNG when possible. I shoot both RAW and JPG.
    b) I then copy all the photos/data from the camera to a directory on the computer. All of these files are backed up and kept whether the pictures are keepers or not.
    3) I print a PDF of a contact sheet of the photos and include that on the backup of the pictures. I then keep the contact sheet on the computer just in case.
    4) I review the photos in Lightroom and figure what pictures are keepers and what ones are rejects. I then delete the rejects including the orignal files. (If I change my mind I have all the original photos)
    5) I rename the files using Lightroom, I typically do a Filename that is a description and then sequence number.
    6) I then go in and start putting in the keywords, title, and captions. To me the key is to just go in and do it that day so I do not get behind. I learned this one the hardway.
    7) I then look for similiar visual settings and create a smart group (there are lots of ways to do that) and apply an included Develop Preset, see how it looks - undo - repeat as necessary until I am happy with the look.
    8) Continue until they are all done.
    9) In Lightroom select Export and set its Post Processing After Export command to run a batch uploader.
    10) Read various forums while the photos upload.

This work flow works on both Mac and Windows.

it might not be the right one for everyone but it works for me.

Hope that helps.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I am not an expert by any stretch, I take lots of photos hoping to get a good one. Luckily it is my hobby and electrons are recyclable :) This work flow is what works for me after a few years of process.

1) Shoot lots of photos
    2) At the end of the shooting, typically the end of the day, download the photos in two methods
    a) I use Adobe Lightroom to import the photos (copying them in), including a Keyword and Metadata set that is appropriatte for the day. I also tell it to convert to DNG when possible. I shoot both RAW and JPG.
    b) I then copy all the photos/data from the camera to a directory on the computer. All of these files are backed up and kept whether the pictures are keepers or not.
    3) I print a PDF of a contact sheet of the photos and include that on the backup of the pictures. I then keep the contact sheet on the computer just in case.
    4) I review the photos in Lightroom and figure what pictures are keepers and what ones are rejects. I then delete the rejects including the orignal files. (If I change my mind I have all the original photos)
    5) I rename the files using Lightroom, I typically do a Filename that is a description and then sequence number.
    6) I then go in and start putting in the keywords, title, and captions. To me the key is to just go in and do it that day so I do not get behind. I learned this one the hardway.
    7) I then look for similiar visual settings and create a smart group (there are lots of ways to do that) and apply an included Develop Preset, see how it looks - undo - repeat as necessary until I am happy with the look.
    8) Continue until they are all done.
    9) In Lightroom select Export and set its Post Processing After Export command to run a batch uploader.
    10) Read various forums while the photos upload.

This work flow works on both Mac and Windows.

it might not be the right one for everyone but it works for me.

Hope that helps.

This really looks good... i probably should try it specially this summer (weddings)

and i should learn how to use Lightroom too, i heard a lot of photogs sayign good things about this app..