Extender for Nikkor 18-200mm VR??

GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
edited October 6, 2007 in Cameras
Does anyone know of any extensions or eqipment to get more range out of the 18-200 VR? I have feeling I read somewhere that there are none, but can anyone verify this or suggest something?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 4, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    Does anyone know of any extensions or eqipment to get more range out of the 18-200 VR? I have feeling I read somewhere that there are none, but can anyone verify this or suggest something?

That lens is f5.6 at 200mm wide open. Adding any teleconverter will make the lens too slow to autofocus (unless maybe you tape the contacts, which I don't recommend.)

In Nikon land, your best options are the:

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor ED-IF
    Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro

... in pretty much that order. I believe all of those "will" take a teleconverter of some sort, and yield pretty good results.

Otherwise, the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR seems to work pretty well for many people (probably needs some sharpening beyond 200mm), although I've never even seen one. It also is not a good candidate for a teleconverter, but it goes to 300mm so maybe you won't need the converter.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    ziggy's got it spot-on. additionally, putting a teleconverter on lenses less than 50mm is really not a good idea. you're going to lose out on a lot of IQ. most don't recommend using a teleconverter on anything smaller than f/4.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    If there was a TC for the 18-200 you wouldn't want to use it. You already have a 11X zoom and that calls for some quality compromises. A TC on that zoom would As Ziggy wrote would lose AF capability and really impact on the IQ.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    You might consider the Nikkor 80-400mm VR. I've rented it a couple of times and had what I consider to be good results.

180039675-M-1.jpg180038800-M-1.jpg
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Most helpful. So, it is pretty much what I had expected. Ah well, saving up for a big bugger then! :D
  • KRFamiliarKRFamiliar Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:

Why dont you buy an 80-400, if you really need more range, because thats all youre going to get, and will be sharper than if yuou buy a 2x or 1.4x tc for the 18-200.