Opinions Please

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited October 5, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello all,
I'm having a bit of a rough day today. The kids are sick, I'm feeling run down and I just had to put my cat to sleep. :cry

I took these the other day but would love some input. Thanks a bunch, Emily

#1 Persistence
203417698-L.jpg

#2 Extreme
203416333-L.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Hello all,
    I'm having a bit of a rough day today. The kids are sick, I'm feeling run down and I just had to put my cat to sleep. :cry

Poor kitty =c(

Persistence, to me has a much better feel to it.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Ok, here goes...
    I haven't commented on anything in here before so here goes assuming this is open to anyone?

I agree with pyroPrints but it seems like it needs more contrast maybe?ne_nau.gif Maybe even a steeper or closer angle. I love your ideas, your so creative.

So sorry about your babies. Sick kids is hard then you pet to. God bless. Hope you have a better day.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    I haven't commented on anything in here before so here goes assuming this is open to anyone?

Curious, it's open to not just anyone, but open especially to YOU! We want to hear ALL of the opinions out there, then decide which to listen to and which not....

Emily, I had to look close to see what your idea was. Cool! First one does look more compelling as I suppose the "face" is looking up and visible.. Assuming that you have some 10 days to enter, you might try doing this at a time of day when the sunlight is hitting the tree, so you can not only brighten up the subject but to perhaps deepen the darkness of the shadows in the bark, thus accentuating the cragginess of the tree. This might even be a good idea for a composite, superimposing the tree and climber on another background..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Know what you mean about having a rough day. Hope your feeling better in no time at all. :D

Very creative pictures. Love the idea. Took me a minute to figure out what
    was going on. I like the perspective in #1. Can't say just how it might be
    improved though I personally might try a little rotate right and decrease the
    DOF (or blur) just a wee bit so as to be unable to see the grass et... for what it is. Don't think the base of the mountain has to be seen so well to know its one heck of long way down there. Lastly if we can see less "face" it would
    be even harder to tell it from the real deal.

thumb.gif Nice stuff.
    Michael
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    PS. Really liked your entry in #13. I'd like to pull something as cool as that
    off sometime. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Pyro, Curious, Hoofclix and DaddyO,

Thank you so much for the input. I will definitely be attempting a reshoot in the next few days.

Emily
    Emily

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Sorry to hear about your cat. That's always hard. I hope you and the rest of the family start feeling better soon.

As for the photos, I'll join the club and say I prefer Persistance. As a photographer and sometimes climber, I am usually trying to avoid butt shots like Extreme because they feature the rock rather than the climber. That said, given the theme maybe featuring the "rock" isn't such a bad thing here...

Some thoughts... a climber dressed orange or yellow might give the shot a bit more pop of you have one available. Other than that, I'd be inclined to set up a flash to create some artifical sunlight in the scene. Of course dramatic light is my answer to almost anything so take that advice for what it is worth.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Hi Emily,

I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

As for the photos, I'm afraid that neither one does much for me. ne_nau.gif I've seen your work and I know you can do better. :D

If you want to stick with the little climber, LiquidAir's idea thoughts on lighting bear some merit. mwink.gif

Hope your kids feel better soon.
    edited October 4, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your cat. That's always hard. I hope you and the rest of the family start feeling better soon.

As for the photos, I'll join the club and say I prefer Persistance. As a photographer and sometimes climber, I am usually trying to avoid butt shots like Extreme because they feature the rock rather than the climber. That said, given the theme maybe featuring the "rock" isn't such a bad thing here...

Some thoughts... a climber dressed orange or yellow might give the shot a bit more pop of you have one available. Other than that, I'd be inclined to set up a flash to create some artifical sunlight in the scene. Of course dramatic light is my answer to almost anything so take that advice for what it is worth.

Thanks for the input! I am going to try a reshoot with hopefully some dramatic lighting. Maybe that willl give this idea the push it needs.
    Emily

edited October 4, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    Hi Emily,

I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

As for the photos, I'm afraid that neither one does much for me. ne_nau.gif I've seen your work and I know you can do better. :D

If you want to stick with the little climber, LiquidAir's idea thoughts on lighting bear some merit. mwink.gif

Hope your kids feel better soon.

Linda,

Thank you for your honesty, and I understand what you're saying. I'm having to look at LPS differently these days since I've put my all into shots before, neglected my duties and family, came up with a shot I was happy with and still got nowhere. Now I shoot things that I really enjoy and feel can be a learning eperience for me. I think I can take this idea and end up with something kind of fun that has a message.

Of course, I may come up with something totally different and ditch this altogether, but in the meantime I'll keep working it!

Emily
    Emily

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Emily, you are one of the most creative people I've seen here. If anyone can figure out how to make this work, it's you. :D

As for "not getting anywhere", don't worry about it because this is not the only photo contest around. :photo There are plenty of others you can enter and I know your photos would do well. Very well, as a matter of fact.

You can always view the LPS as a means of weeding out which photos to enter into other contests/exhibits. The feedback here is excellent and if your work attracts the attention of folks here (official / non-official feedback and the whipping thread) then it just may attract the attention of others somewhere along the line. This has been my mindset.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Cool idea....
    Linda,

Thank you for your honesty, and I understand what you're saying. I'm having to look at LPS differently these days since I've put my all into shots before, neglected my duties and family, came up with a shot I was happy with and still got nowhere. Now I shoot things that I really enjoy and feel can be a learning eperience for me. I think I can take this idea and end up with something kind of fun that has a message.

Of course, I may come up with something totally different and ditch this altogether, but in the meantime I'll keep working it!

Emily

I was thinking maybe some ropes to make it seam more "real"????

Cool idea...

Jon
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Sorry to hear about your cat :cry. It is very difficult to lose a pet.

Neither picture is really jumping at me either. It's a cool idea, but would be better if the optical illusion was more believable. The 'cragginess' of the rocks could also be more pronounced. As it is, the doll draws your eye not the rocks, which isn't necessarily as on theme.
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]