LPS #14 Say Hello....

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited October 14, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
To My Daughters Little Friend

Sammy

204209457-L.jpg

They have a hard time getting him to come out of his shell, maybe the cats have something to do with it. Anyway, I thought it fit the theme

Another version

204218531-L.jpg

Any thoughts

Joe

Comments

• FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    I could totally hear Al Pacino doing the voice over.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Love it !!...the only thing I see is the "blow out" on the upper part of the shell....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    I like it.... a uni-crag. I wonder if he might look better standing in some dirt or in a more natural settings.... his background looks a little plain, although I guess you are trying to highlight mr. crabby err, craggy.
    edited October 5, 2007
    So cute...thoughts on 2..Love It also, like more of the feel/emotion on this one...He almost has a "Shy" or "Should I" come out feel to the emotion you captured, almost like Sammy is acting "COY"...:D . But I like the richness of his burn't orangey/red coloring still in #1
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I like it.... a uni-crag. I wonder if he might look better standing in some dirt or in a more natural settings.... his background looks a little plain, although I guess you are trying to highlight mr. crabby err, craggy.

I was thinking that as well....I guess it would also look cool...to me...if he (she???) was on a pain of glass..with a nice reflection.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    I actually love #1 and wouldn't change a thing.

Best of luck,
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Can't believe no one said this, but the theme is "Craigy" not "Crabby" mwink.gif *rimshot*

Edit: oh nm, Pat beat me too it.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    The coloring is better in #1, too washed out by the flash/lighting in #2 imo. I don't care for the facial and eye look in #1, but #2 is perfect!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    COOL! Like it!
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    After viewing the photos in Safari, I take back everything I said. This color profile stuff is a pain--guess it's back to using Safari for me. Anyhow... #2 looks good thumb.gif!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    I like #1. I would consider a non-white background. Neutral grey or brown paper might work.
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Thanks and A Couple Of New Versions
    Back In Black

204969540-L.jpg

Reflection

204970351-L.jpg

A Crab And His Friend

204972419-L.jpg

204972054-L.jpg

204972936-L.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks for your thoughts........

Joe
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I liked your original #1 the best. If you're not 100% sure about it, try a few crops to see if any of them clinches it for you. mwink.gif Sammy's cute, BTW!!

In the black series, the one you called "Reflection" is really neat! thumb.gif However, the blackness seems to be obscuring some of the craggy details. Perhaps you can try a curves adjustment to see of you can bring them out a bit more??
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I too am in the opinion that the white background versions are better.
    I am partial to white backgrounds though so... take that for what its worth mwink.gif

I actually like the second version of Sammy (white) better than #1 due to the detail in the legs and eyes - overall just feels more emotional for me.
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I disagree about the white backgrounds. I like all the blacks better. I think the crab on black has the most potential. I would keep working that angle. But all these ideas are worth pursuing.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I like the black version of Sammy the best...however the blown spot on the shell need to be fixed imho.....might try adding a toiuch of color using some theatrical gels on the lights aiming at the bg....that might make a touch more intersting and add some separation also....but I really digg the idea as a whole.thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 7, 2007
    Hiya Joe...why don't cha take a shot of just Sammy's shell, and then do a composite overlay on #1 or 2? (Just a suggestion).

I still love the richness of his color in #1, but I love the feel of his "coyness" emotion (if crabs can portray that..lol) in #2
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Your entry made me laugh out loud. rolleyes1.gifThanks!! And good luck.

Virginia

Email
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I like the black better but I'd try again for more optimal lighting--it's a little off. Too dark on the right, too blown out on the left.

Great idea! What a cute little guy.

Jesse
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I took all of your advice into consideration and attempted another round with Sammy, unfortunately he was not too coorporative but I really like how this came out so I went with this one

207275019-L.jpg

I titled it Where's Sammy because he was nowhere to be found on this day. Thanks again for the replies and best of luck to all

Joe
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I think it's great!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Yeah I would go with #1 in your first post.

The jagged edges of the little guy's exoskeleton makes it 'craggy' (is that the word they used? ne_nau.gifrofl) but the bokeh makes it smooth.

I also like the shell shot. I really like the brown-coffee tone to it. I wish you could make it somewhat sharper though, maybe its just my monitor. ;p I like the shadows in the bottom of the shell as well, nicely done.